Adult Daycare: Dealing with Employees

Update on the experiment of not showing up in the office lobby a few blocks away. People at the other firm have noticed. She has been declared fair game for all. The men, and there is more than one, are now sending messages, e-mails, ringing her work mobile even after work and into the night why she isn't taking up on offers of coffee/drinks/hotel rendezvous, etc. Why is she being so difficult refusing their advances, etc.

So the drama continues...

I dunno, it's just weird. Such a narrow world view. Also, that's oddly specific. Any unresolved issues there?

I could go with a grad student but I don't think they have a particularly broad world view either.

do you want him to date a fucking vet tech?

I would avoid any veterinarians. I don't like animals and most people take their work home so it wouldn't be pleasant when she learns of my condescending attitude to any species less than a human being.

Update on the experiment of not showing up in the office lobby a few blocks away. People at the other firm have noticed. She has been declared fair game for all. The men, and there is more than one, are now sending messages, e-mails, ringing her work mobile even after work and into the night why she isn't taking up on offers of coffee/drinks/hotel rendezvous, etc. Why is she being so difficult refusing their advances, etc.

So the drama continues...

I could go with a grad student but I don't think they have a particularly broad world view either.

I would avoid any veterinarians. I don't like animals and most people take their work home so it wouldn't be pleasant when she learns of my condescending attitude to any species less than a human being.

So your world includes only grad students and people who work in finance?

So your world includes only grad students and people who work in finance?

Shall I branch out into the medical profession? I know a few mates who date doctors but they're always on call and they can't drink. Hard to get the inhibitions down one notch without at least a tipple.

Shall I branch out into the medical profession? I know a few mates who date doctors but they're always on call and they can't drink. Hard to get the inhibitions down one notch without at least a tipple.

I dunno' I think air hostesses might be best. They're narcissistic enough to take care in their appearance, away for some of the time, giving you breathing space.

All this let's marry an equal in professional status is rare, although the benefits of two very good salaries would be ideal.

Women don't in general marry below them, whereas us men are freer in this respect.

The nightmare continues with my ex-employee who has emigrated, but still expects us to pay their salary on the sickness ticket. Now my lawyer has come back and she wants to strike a deal and said we should go for the "amicable" solution where we are all winners. Hurrah! An excellent idea, considering for the last 5 years we have paid them for doing nothing, what's another 6 months salary? Take a little, take a bit more, throw a sicky for 5 years, keep some good person from getting a job.

Our lawyer has even advised that under the Dutch system, the actual availability and intention for work is not crucial so long as the work doctor continues to state the person is sick. FYI: the work doctor hasn't been able to contact this person for regular assessments since they relocated.

Now the insurance company has sent another letter demanding to know the address of the employee and whether they are still resident in The Netherlands.

What my lawyer doesn't understand, there is an old fashioned value at play, maybe they don't have it here, but where I am from we have in abundance, it's called fairplay.

The nightmare continues with my ex-employee who has emigrated, but still expects us to pay their salary on the sickness ticket. Now my lawyer has come back and she wants to strike a deal and said we should go for the "amicable" solution where we are all winners. Hurrah! An excellent idea, considering for the last 5 years we have paid them for doing nothing, what's another 6 months salary? Take a little, take a bit more, throw a sicky for 5 years, keep some good person from getting a job.

Our lawyer has even advised that under the Dutch system, the actual availability and intention for work is not crucial so long as the work doctor continues to state the person is sick. FYI: the work doctor hasn't been able to contact this person for regular assessments since they relocated.

Now the insurance company has sent another letter demanding to know the address of the employee and whether they are still resident in The Netherlands.

What my lawyer doesn't understand, there is an old fashioned value at play, maybe they don't have it here, but where I am from we have in abundance, it's called fairplay.

Fairplay is out the window these days.

Just had someone resign. Said she will work until May 20 then be working "off site" and then take the remainder of her holiday time to be done effective June 30.

Only thing is that I already have found out when she starts work with the new employer, which coincides with the "working off site" for us.

Plus the remainder of her holidays is 13 days not the 6 weeks she thinks she has (which is the total allotment not a "remainder").

Think I will tell her I know this but don't give a shit because I'd rather have her gone.

Not sure what the right thread is, but does anyone have experience using a no win - no fee lawyer for a small claims court? They want 25% of the settlement.

Not sure what the right thread is, but does anyone have experience using a no win - no fee lawyer for a small claims court? They want 25% of the settlement.

Is it worth it or that complicated a claim that you need a lawyer?

Usually if you are more intelligent than the defendant you do well in small claims court.

Is it worth it or that complicated a claim that you need a lawyer?

Usually if you are more intelligent than the defendant you do well in small claims court.

We're talking about a claim worth just over £6k, so the net difference between doing it myself and using a lawyer is £1000, as court fees are £455. Doesn't look like that bad of a deal, and would save me a lot of hassle. I'm pretty sure the case is a win though, but I would risk £455 out of pocket if I lose.

We're talking about a claim worth just over £6k, so the net difference between doing it myself and using a lawyer is £1000, as court fees are £455. Doesn't look like that bad of a deal, and would save me a lot of hassle. I'm pretty sure the case is a win though, but I would risk £455 out of pocket if I lose.

Then do it.

The hidden sexism in the workplace language

Okay, let's see how much of a Neanderthal I am:
Gentleman's agreement - yes
Middleman - yes
Right hand man - yes, although sometimes I just say right hand or right arm
Drama queen - yes
Guys - yes
Drill down - yes
Hostess, Stewardess, Waitress, Actress - I didn't know to call them any differently

In my personal life, I blurt out "sweetheart"..does that make me a caveman..err..person?

As part of teamwork, team spirit, whatever, I made a Yammer group and included everyone in my department. Now I have to post warm and fuzzy things every so often so it shows that I care.

I thought a pay cheque was enough appreciation but apparently it's not.

As part of teamwork, team spirit, whatever, I made a Yammer group and included everyone in my department. Now I have to post warm and fuzzy things every so often so it shows that I care.

I thought a pay cheque was enough appreciation but apparently it's not.

Depends on the pay cheque, no?

I'm looking at e-mail arguments going back & forth (No, you don't understand...read the news!) about whether to shut down some computers because of the ransomware attack. Some machines apparently need to be updated because they've been deemed vulnerable but some 'very important' business transaction is going on one of them. I suppose this very important transaction will pay the North Koreans the bitcoin required to unlock whomever ends up getting infected by it.

No no no... he was in your Ford F250, and he wanted to borrow money, which everyone knows you don't have.

NEVAH. no one has been in my truck. They turned him back at the border. I have lots of money. I am on the Canadian welfare. It is a career

Our company is going to begin rolling out Office 365 to employees. There will initially be a group of pilot people who get the tools first and they are being asked what their thoughts are on the software and what could work better. This person in our department (peer's direct report) started saying how he's taking training classes and reading material on Office 365 so he can prepare for the pilot. You need training to use Office? You already use Office on your computer. How different could Office 365 be?

Not much, it's as intuitive as the last non-cloud stuff. You don't need any extra training.

The issues I've encountered: some issues when someone left and we closed their account, but they looked after the department diary and sometimes it's a bit slow for searching on words in emails, or just search in general when you're going through months, if not years worth of emails. Especially when you first log on in the morning.

Our company is going to begin rolling out Office 365 to employees. There will initially be a group of pilot people who get the tools first and they are being asked what their thoughts are on the software and what could work better. This person in our department (peer's direct report) started saying how he's taking training classes and reading material on Office 365 so he can prepare for the pilot. You need training to use Office? You already use Office on your computer. How different could Office 365 be?

Much the same. Just a bit more integrated with things like Sharepoint, Skype Business etc

The consensus agrees with me. This coworker is simply milking the company for pointless training at the firm's expense. It's like getting training to use the coffee machine.

The consensus agrees with me. This coworker is simply milking the company for pointless training at the firm's expense. It's like getting training to use the coffee machine.
Using the coffee machine properly does require training. Most people cannot make a good coffee. But seeing they mostly only make for themselves I guess it doesn't matter too much.

I got a Nespresso machine in, cuts down on time spent measuring filter coffee and all that malarkey. Right first time, everytime.

I got a Nespresso machine in, cuts down on time spent measuring filter coffee and all that malarkey. Right first time, everytime.
Filter!!! Filter!! Nespresso????
Jeez

Here it's a proper 15 bar pump machine, freshly ground beans, in the office or its off to the Human Rights Commission for the boss.

Its now a THING at least amongst the younger folk to take the day off for your birthday.
Is this just in Oz?

Its now a THING at least amongst the younger folk to take the day off for your birthday.
Is this just in Oz?

All the girls I met last year do that. late 20s-30.

At my firm they instituted a rule where if it is a work day on your birthday you can take half a day off without affecting your vacation balance.

I hate my own birthday so I never reveal it and even advertise a fake one on social media profiles so I've never used that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom