Agreeable Menswear Post Of The Day

E

EFV

Everyone is welcome to post something menswear related that they appreciate, either an outfit or a good/informative/otherwise interesting post about menswear.To actually spawn discussion (and perhaps even some interesting insights), it's good if you motivate why you find the post agreeable.

I'll start by posting this outfit by Tchoy/Linden Way.

tumblr_nayu1d5mdU1rp61hvo1_1280.jpg

This is a very nicely fitting suit with good proportions, i.e. a well balanced lapel width for his frame, good amount of nipping in the waist (without being effeminate), nice draping, well executed shoulder construction (I would have added just a tiny bit more padding to square them out a bit, but that's a personal preference), good length on the trousers with just a slight break et c, et c.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed.

Can we edit the opener though? I know its made in snark/jest, but guests might read that the wrong way.

Hopefully they do. Keeps the simps out.

I love this combo of suit / shoe. Just got a similar rig myself last fall from Poole, but used a subtle PoW check.

Well, we are trying to get more people to sign up. There are far more Marblehouses out there than there are Doghouses.

But at what cost to the discourse?

Actually, I'll expound further in the Trainwreck thread. Edit away EFV, and please post more agreeableness, I did the first very much.

Yeah, I'm on it.
Thanks EFV
But at what cost to the discourse?

Actually, I'll expound further in the Trainwreck thread. Edit away EFV, and please post more agreeableness, I did the first very much.
Well, to be fair, it was only the one line. I don't quite think that's a harbinger of doom. And you post some pics dammit. Share the work load.

i quite like a grey suit with burgundy tie, especially without a solid blue shirt.

i will throw this one out as to me it shows that a corduroy suit is not a bad thing, nor does it smack of the absent-minded professor/academic look

tumblr_mwjkzsgX4E1qa2j8co3_250.jpg

tumblr_mcu0e7d5qR1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg

I like that. I've got a brown corduroy suit myself. It needs to be balanced by lots of blue to steer clear from the murky professor look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. It is one of those suits that people either like or hate - not much middle ground.

I'm kind of torn on that. I think it might be the natural lighting in the pic but it looks almost olive-y to me.

As always, Vox can pull off just about anything. The fucker.

I don't like the way cords sound, but I'd definitely wear a suit of it if the price/color/fit was right. This is probably true of any jacket/suit that is both casual and allows for a tie.

If I recall it is brown and not olive. I recall one of his posts that said he had 2 suit lengths, one brown and one mole. HFW. Can't find them since they redid their website

Yeah. Not mine, done by Bn Tailor in Korea, H&S Crispaire in terracotta houndstooth.

Yeah. Not mine, done by Bn Tailor in Korea, H&S Crispaire in terracotta houndstooth.

I like that because of the houndstooth and probably would not like it as much if it were a plain fabric. H&S seems to have a lot more options for Crispaire than Minnis has for Fresco in terms of warm weather fabrics, no?

I like that because of the houndstooth and probably would not like it as much if it were a plain fabric. H&S seems to have a lot more options for Crispaire than Minnis has for Fresco in terms of warm weather fabrics, no?

The Crispaire book is substantial for sure, though I personally despise the iGent fetish that is Fresco. I like the houndstooth as well, that's what makes it for me. I'm having a blue houndstooth coat done up, but in Lesser 9oz worsted.

The Crispaire book is substantial for sure, though I personally despise the iGent fetish that is Fresco. I like the houndstooth as well, that's what makes it for me. I'm having a blue houndstooth coat done up, but in Lesser 9oz worsted.

I do like me some houndstooth.

I've only felt both Crispaire & Fresco and I would choose Crispaire just based on the fact that it isn't scratchy like Fresco. I don't fully get the Fresco fetish either as there are other fabrics that have more colour/pattern options that are suitable for hot weather. H&S doesn't get much love from iGents.

I went on a houndtooth binge earlier this year. I'm trying to rehab myself this fall, but I'm not sure how it's gonna go.

H&S are solid. I don't know why they don't get more love. Well, I do, because iGents run in a herd, but you know what I mean.

Good subtle pattern for a coat/jacket/SC/blazer imho.

Here is another outfit I really like:

tumblr_n78rh984Bj1qad1efo1_500.jpg

Wearing a bow tie isn't for everyone, but I think Ethan wears it well. I guess it takes a certain amount of gravitas to pull this off, either a certain age, certain build or a way to generally carry yourself. The suit is great. I think the Liverano cut works wonders for guys with a heavier build.

I was always under the perception that H&S gets a good deal of love, especially on the unfunded liabilities thread. My guess is that fresco is more popular because it's cheaper.

I have a jacket and some fabric lying around from H&S. And in general, the H&S I have handled have always been fantastic.

Wearing a bow tie isn't for everyone, but I think Ethan wears it well. I guess it takes a certain amount of gravitas to pull this off, either a certain age, certain build or a way to generally carry yourself. The suit is great. I think the Liverano cut works wonders for guys with a heavier build.
Good call. That's definitely a handsome look. Very professorial.

There is some appreciation of H&S in Unfunded Liabilities but SF-wide it is less so.

Despos speaks highly of it, for example, Victory flannel.

I think price has something to do with it as well as push back against it because you actually might run into someone in real life who is wearing it. Scabal and Dormeuil get the same bad rap IMO unless it is their tweeds or Tonik respectively.

Last edited:

Quite nice. Reminds me of how blue-shirt-centric we are. Both of EFV's show that something other than a solid blue works beautifully

Recently had a brown jacket made up in Dormeuil linen/wool/silk. It's lovely.

Don't see how anyone can dismiss Dormeuil, Scabal, and H&S offhand.

Recently had a brown jacket made up in Dormeuil linen/wool/silk. It's lovely.

Don't see how anyone can dismiss Dormeuil, Scabal, and H&S offhand.

Scabal get's the "fashion fabric" tag for some reason.

I'm 100% enamored with this jacket.
tumblr_mnlchnXQyh1s41qhqo1_1280.jpg
What's going on inside that coat? Specifically, what is the piping behind the patch pockets for and is that strip of blue across the back at the waist literally a strap to prevent stretching of the unlined area?

Fortunately, the shorter rounded collar is hidden by the bow tie. A vest/waistcoat helps eliminate that excess exposed shirt front issue that bow ties can create. The purposeful handkerchief look of the pocket square is most impressive to me.

Last edited:
^ my idea about the collar as well, but you managed to put it into words (English is not my first language). I'm not a big fan of rounded collars in general, but worn like this I actually quite liked it.

What's going on inside that coat? Specifically, what is the piping behind the patch pockets for and is that strip of blue across the back at the waist literally a strap to prevent stretching of the unlined area?

I would say that is probably what it's for though I can't be sure. The backing of the patch pockets I would say is to hold the stitching. Crispaire is very open and light on it's own.

I'm not a big fan of rounded collars in general

I was actually going to say the collar is pretty crap, but since it's the agreeable thread I though better of it.

I knew it was Ethan even before I read the name. It's a good look, love the bow tie.

That said, when I opt for the bow tie, it's more with a sense of whimsy (who knew) than gravitas. It's a Death or Glory proposition: you either look like a goofy wanker who never gets action, or you look like a goofy wanker who's drowning in trim.

Hmmm, got any picture of your definition of the "goofy wanker who's drowning in trim"-look? Because I'm picturing something like this:

tumblr_n8vwm0AvtJ1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg

Don't know if anyone could pull that off as well as Bryan Ferry though.

Sadly I trend much more towards the former than the latter, but I believe they're out there.

Because it gives me hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom