güero

Ratings
His name is Robert Paulson. I'll see if I can get it down to 5.5-6k, that feels better. Also seems like you can buy a new bicolor only with a white dial, that is not only ugly, but definitely not vulgar enough.

Journeyman

Supporter
Ratings
The Foo makes (in my opinion) a sensible post in the watch thread over on SF:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...jaeger-lecoultre.518128/page-704#post-9452730

"Guys. All watch brands are marketing exercises. At least Rolex and Patek have the actual history and track records to go along with the glossy advertising.

It may be silly to buy watches as an investment, but it is even sillier to delude yourself into believing you are buying a "time-telling tool" or "mechanical innovation." These are obsolete mechanisms that are of purely nostalgic and romantic value. So, real history should hold a premium over fabricated history. That is why certain makes hold a special place above others and will continue to."

Of course, other posters then misunderstand his post - whether because they're being deliberately obtuse or not, I don't know - and choose to focus on minor points, such as his subsequent mention of the lug design on Patek Calatrava watches, rather than addressing and discussing his actual point.

Quite a good discussion ensued.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Ratings
The Foo makes (in my opinion) a sensible post in the watch thread over on SF:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...jaeger-lecoultre.518128/page-704#post-9452730

"Guys. All watch brands are marketing exercises. At least Rolex and Patek have the actual history and track records to go along with the glossy advertising.

It may be silly to buy watches as an investment, but it is even sillier to delude yourself into believing you are buying a "time-telling tool" or "mechanical innovation." These are obsolete mechanisms that are of purely nostalgic and romantic value. So, real history should hold a premium over fabricated history. That is why certain makes hold a special place above others and will continue to."

Of course, other posters then misunderstand his post - whether because they're being deliberately obtuse or not, I don't know - and choose to focus on minor points, such as his subsequent mention of the lug design on Patek Calatrava watches, rather than addressing and discussing his actual point.

Quite a good discussion ensued.
Kind of. I mean plenty of brands have as much if not more history than those two. The marketing exercise point is well taken though.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
Watches are worse than cars as a luxury item when it comes to pseuds.

As I have no male heir, I can't be enticed with this handing it over to the next generation aspiration, so I am really only interested in the next 40 years. I've accepted my fate as lots of mid-range watches, including some Quartz and maybe one or two watches pushing the Tudor/Omega/Rolex/Jaeger-LeCoultre enevelope.

Top Bottom