All About Watches

I must take my fake Rolex down to Sutton market to see if the man will replace the battery. Seems to be a snap on back rather than an unscrew one.

Attachments

• F52BAB13-D4F3-455A-AC86-EF9E3FDF8E17.jpeg
    F52BAB13-D4F3-455A-AC86-EF9E3FDF8E17.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 273
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

Growing up, he dreamed of owning a Rolex watch. A week after finally buying one, it was broken and he "realized he didn't care and never replaced it."

Uruguay - G Shock
oscar-tabarez-gq-4jul18_getty_b.jpg

Belgium - Hublot
roberto-martinez-02-gq-4jul18_getty_b.jpg

England - Hublot
gareth-southgate-gq-4jul18_getty_b.jpg

Russia - Hublot
stanislav-cherchesov-gq-4jul18_getty_b.jpg

Croatia - Garmen
zlatko-dalic-gq-4jul18_getty_b.jpg

Brazil - Samsung
tite-gq-4jul18_getty_b.jpg

Horses for courses mate....the one watch you wouldn't pick if you had a Napoleon complex would be a Grand Seiko.

The problem for Seiko, and hence they've spun Grand Seiko to another separate Group company, is perception in Europe as a maker of cheap and cheery watches. Well yes they are, but not only that! They're pushing into the luxury watch arena and with their own movements, it's doubtful they'll be another also ran like Tag Heuer who are returning to where they were in the early 1990s.

What it means is that Tag Heuer were pushing to enter the true luxury watch division, but have dropped back to producing lesser models.
So what exactly did they do to be “pushing to enter the true luxury watch division”?
And what did they do to drop “back into producing lesser models”?

I’d love to know the inside working decisions of a large watch brand, and how a poster on a message board becomes privy to those decisions. I don’t read Hodinkee type websites or subscribe to that watch nerd magazine so I’m not privy myself.

So what exactly did they do to be “pushing to enter the true luxury watch division”?
And what did they do to drop “back into producing lesser models”?

I’d love to know the inside working decisions of a large watch brand, and how a poster on a message board becomes privy to those decisions. I don’t read Hodinkee type websites or subscribe to that watch nerd magazine so I’m not privy myself.

Well, I don't think you need to be privy to the inner workings of said company, you just need to look at their marketing strategy, their advertising.

That's not to say I agree or disagree with Pimpi's view however.

Well, I don't think you need to be privy to the inner workings of said company, you just need to look at their marketing strategy, their advertising.

That's not to say I agree or disagree with Pimpi's view however.

My position is based on their watch ranges over the last decade and more and what has been documented in horology magazines and discussion boards. Their lesser models are of course their quartz range and that Connected Modular 45 App thing they've been marketing. The mission of the brand was to become an exclusive luxury watch maker and they couldn't make the jump from the Monaco Steve McQueen to the next level a complete success. That is fact, it's the reasons why that is open for interpretation.

What the fok is wrong with you?

Can someone help me find a relatively inexpensive Omega vintage Seamaster, maybe a Constellation? I want to turn it into a pocket watch, so I don't want something precious - maybe under $1K, though I could be persuaded to go a big higher. Ideally, I would also like the option of wearing it occasionally. A decent movement, and as much original dial, case, crown, bezel, caseback, acrylic crystal, etc... and possible, and nothing that has been crappily refurbished (I see so many poor repaintings of th dial). A tropical dial (I saw in interesting Cosmic on Ebay) might be interesting. I find that I have these nice watches that I will probably never wear because my arm fills leaden (pretty much literally) with responsibility if I have something that is the price of a decent car on my wrist. I've come to the conclusion that something interesting but relatively inexpensive would just work best for me. Please, no mineral glass or sapphire crystals. I've shattered so many in my life. I'd much rather have some scratches on an acrylic crystal that I can either buff or get replaced without getting shrapnel in the movement.

I'm open to something like vintage Rolexes as well, or maybe a vintage JLC (did they use acrylic crystals? I just don't know.)

Are there any vintage dealers on Ebay or elsewhere that you guys trust? I don't live in a big city, so getting myself to a decent watch guy is not really an option, so I would need something that is usable off the bat, rather than making it a big project.

Anyway, tldr: would love to get some help finding a decent, inexpensive vintage Omega Seamaster or similar.

Cheers,

Fok.

^ Why doesn't he just look for a pocket watch to start with, rather than looking for a vintage Omega so that he can then turn it into a small pocket watch??

Used Royal Oak steel/gold, grey dial with date, 36mm, no papers. Does 7k€ sound reasonable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom