Ask A Quick Question

QuandoDio

Ratings
Is there a technical reason flannel isn’t used in suits more often?
Durability and not particularly crisp. Flannel ( original woolen flannel) isn't the most robust of fabrics. In fact, it can be rather fragile. Add in the fact that the trousers bags at the knees and it is overall slouchy and akin to wearing fancy PJs, some avoid it.

YMMV!

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
Durability and not particularly crisp. Flannel ( original woolen flannel) isn't the most robust of fabrics. In fact, it can be rather fragile. Add in the fact that the trousers bags at the knees and it is overall slouchy and akin to wearing fancy PJs, some avoid it.

YMMV!
Flannel trousers with a twill weave are pretty robust. Grey flannels in winter are the way to go. But if you don't get them in twill you will likely get one season out of them. I like the slouchy drape and the air of Edward VIII all gone bad.

Last edited:

QuandoDio

Ratings
Flannel trousers with a twill weave are pretty robust. Grey flannels in winter are the way to go. But if you don't get them in twill you will likely get one season out of them. I like the slouchy drape and the air of Edward VIII all gone bad.

I have a good number of flannel trews in several colours and a flannel suit or two so I have a decent perspective and obviously a fan. I dig the dégagé look. And I believe in colder seasons, few things feel better than being wrapped in flannel.

I disagree though - even in twills, it is not that durable. The three flannel trousers I have blown in the crotch, were twills. Two were RTW from Uncle Ralph and one was bespoke from Scabal ( lasted two wears)

Last edited:

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Ratings

YMMV!
Yeah, you have to actually be aiming for the slouchy look. Which has it's merits. A good DB flannel in the winter is quite louche.

Journeyman

Supporter
Ratings
^Coincidentally, I'm wearing a pair of Carmina shell cordovan boots as I'm typing this.

I've got four pairs of Carmina shell boots and shoes and pair of calf leather shoes, and they're fine. I'd put them at C&J benchgrade level or thereabouts.

Apparently, the Inca last is made to a slightly higher standard than Carmina's other shoes, although I can't remember quite why. If they fit you and if you need a new pair of double-monk shoes, $300 sounds like a very good price.

Pauly Chase

Hip Dairy Farmer
Supporter
Ratings
^Coincidentally, I'm wearing a pair of Carmina shell cordovan boots as I'm typing this.

I've got four pairs of Carmina shell boots and shoes and pair of calf leather shoes, and they're fine. I'd put them at C&J benchgrade level or thereabouts.

Apparently, the Inca last is made to a slightly higher standard than Carmina's other shoes, although I can't remember quite why. If they fit you and if you need a new pair of double-monk shoes, $300 sounds like a very good price.
I always want a pair of double monks in chestnut colorway, and these are the ideal shade.

Shoes in question

Top Bottom