Everything Eyewear

I think in USA Shuron themselves will send you a bunch of glasses to try and you can return if not suitable.

Ok, so maybe when I did this today I was self-conscious and looking for subtle and for glasses that don't 'make a statement'. I definitely agree with the more rounded shape.

Any additional suggestions are welcome!
It's hard to narrow down without seeing some more examples on your face. Try out a few different shapes and styles so we can better narrow it down.

IMG_9017.JPG
IMG_9010.JPG
Ok, I'll try to find someone stockings genuine Sharons. I like them - just not convinced they suit me.

There are the Persols that were ok but not anything special:

Like me you have a big honk with a high bridge and therefore off the shelf plastic glasses will always fit too high. Depending where you shop - here certainly locally most optometrists cater mainly for the asian face & nose. Most OTR glasses will be like that. Also almost all glasses frames are made by and outlets are owned by bloody Luxotica.

We are a major manufacturer and all of our products are available to all optical laboratories, distributors and dispensing outlets. These outlets can order Shuron products with no special requirements of any kind. Please contact us for information regarding outlets in your area. If none are available, we can provide you with sample sizes and colors direct. Please ask for our Special Orders department.

picture_unable.gif

All special orders are 100% refundable (except shipping). All special orders received M-F by 3:00 PM Eastern will ship same day. You can exchange as often as necessary for proper sizing and color at no charge. We can also process your Rx lenses after you have selected the proper frame for you. All Rx orders normally ship within 2 days after receipt.

All Shuron products are guaranteed for material and construction for one year from purchase. All Rx lenses are guaranteed to be made according to the information that is provided. Pricing will depend upon your Rx and what style lenses you would like.

For further information, please contact us via phone (800-242-3636 / 864-288-6364), fax (800-252-1116 / 864-288-6374) or e-mail. If you must visit an optical outlet, please tell us which you prefer and we will contact them on your behalf. We will do whatever is required to get Shuron products to you.

http://www.shuron.com/unable.htm

Last edited:
You need to measure yourself up. Most of your frames you've tried look too wide on you. And the nose bridge too high and too narrow. Its a common problem. Glasses look better if a bit narrow for your head width. Most old school glasses were very much narrower than peoples face/head width and I think they (mostly) looked better for it.

http://optometristattic.com/Measure.htm

Last edited:
You need to measure yourself up. Most of your frames you've tried look too wide on you. And the nose bridge too high and too narrow. Its a common problem. Glasses look better if a bit narrow for your head width. Most old school glasses were very much narrower than peoples face/head width and I think they (mostly) looked better for it.

Dropbear Dropbear - I don't like to say it (because his head will swell and it will be too big for his glasses) but fxh is right. The glasses you've been trying on look too big on you. Try some frames that are a bit lower and narrower.

By the way, has anyone ever remarked on your resemblance to the late Alan Rickman (when he was younger, of course)?

I've gone from Hugh Jackman to Alan Rickman in ten years! :bigtears:

I ordered the five free trial deal from Warby. Will probably do the same with Sharon to rest sizes, but they want shipping both ways and a $95 deposit up-front. Tortoise and grey briar frames? Silver and no gold?

Attachments

• IMG_9019.JPG
    IMG_9019.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
I've gone from Hugh Jackman to Alan Rickman in ten years! :bigtears:

I ordered the five free trial deal from Warby. Will probably do the same with Sharon to rest sizes, but they want shipping both ways and a $95 deposit up-front. Tortoise and grey briar frames? Silver and no good?
Dont know about silver, but grey would be good imo.

IMG_9062.JPG
IMG_9063.JPG
IMG_9064.JPG
IMG_9065.JPG
First the Warby's. I like the browline one, but at 48mm it's a bit wide. The other is too big and kinda boring.

Actually not liking the silver bling on the Shurons. I wish these two were smaller.

IMG_9077.JPG
IMG_9076.JPG

IMG_9074.JPG

IMG_9073.JPG

Any other suggestions?

Really? Costco? I was going to ask MFDoom where he gets his glasses.

Sizing I think I'm getting now. Shape, construction and style Im still lost on.

Really? Costco? I was going to ask MFDoom where he gets his glasses.

Sizing I think I'm getting now. Shape, construction and style Im still lost on.
Yes, Costco. If you're not a member just tell them you want to check out the store. Very good prices as well. Of course, any big box eyewear store should be able to help you with sizing and shape.

Maybe I should give contacts a go. My insurance will fully cover a year's worth.

Then turn to Shurons into regular sunglasses?

FWIW, I think the Shurons in 46 look good on you. It's hard to tell definitively though at this close of a range. Mirror selfies would actually be more representative of how they look from most people you'll be interacting with.

Re: Warby Parker. I would just avoid. I have a pair and was excited about them at first, but then realized that they have a very distinct quality and look that screams "budget, hipster eyewear." I feel they are suited more for the Bonobos and Indochino crowd. I can immediately tell from a distance when someone is wearing WP, and I would hate that for myself.

Because of how f*cked up my schedule is (96 hrs last week including multiple 28 hour shifts), I have been wearing my glasses a lot. Alternating between my horn-rimmed Saint Laurent Paris and Dita frames, depending on my mood and my style that day, I find glasses sometimes add a very important accessory to otherwise unremarkable outfits.

Also, Lasik is easier said than done. No surgery is without risk, and many people do not have ideal results from it (i. e. suffer from severe eye dryness permanently afterwards or still require corrective lenses).

Lasik - doesn't work for everyone and vision often slips back to base in 12 - 18 months.

FWIW, I think the Shurons in 46 look good on you. It's hard to tell definitively though at this close of a range. Mirror selfies would actually be more representative of how they look from most people you'll be interacting with.

Thanks for this post DS. Last post of my ugly mug before I send these back and give up for a while:

IMG_9078.JPG
IMG_9083.JPG

IMG_9084.JPG

Last edited:
Any substantiated opinion and/or actual experience with sunglasses from mauijim.com?

Thanks for this post DS. Last post of my ugly mug before I send these back and give up for a while:

View attachment 19434 View attachment 19435
View attachment 19436

Yeah. The nasal bridge looks too wide from this distance. Something that you cannot see from the fisheye-type closeup photos. I'd return.

Any substantiated opinion and/or actual experience with sunglasses from mauijim.com?

They look great with Tommy Bahama shirts and Jesus sandles.

I thought about Lasik for while since my insurance covers 50%, never got around to it. I will stick with glasses/contacts for now.

Are those Ronsirs? I think i have the same pair.

They are.

I'm actually drifting back to the Tart Arnel clones I have and thinking of getting another pair, but in 44 instead of 46. Definitely need longer arms - I think the short arms have been buggering the fit for me.

IMG_9085.JPG

IMG_9086.JPG
IMG_9087.JPG
IMG_9088.JPG

Last edited:
They look great with Tommy Bahama shirts and Jesus sandles.

MauiJim makes fantastic sunglasses, has an amazing warranty, and is one of the only companies that hasn't sold out to Luxxottica.

Thanks, I was hoping for something like that. I really like some of their models and the possibility to choose between the different glasses. I currently don't have any sunglasses, will buy from them as soon as I'm close to a store. Not so sure about Tommy Bahama though.

Thanks, I was hoping for something like that. I really like some of their models and the possibility to choose between the different glasses. I currently don't have any sunglasses, will buy from them as soon as I'm close to a store. Not so sure about Tommy Bahama though.
don't listen to Darkside Darkside . he's a hipster brand snob.

Dropbear Dropbear - I'm not sure if its an artefact from the photo angle or something but almost all those glasses look to be too wide for your head. That's the main problem. I'm not sure - but it looks as if heavy plastic frames don't suit you.

I'd be suggesting that "John Lennon" type glasses might be the go for you. Wire frames either the complete wire Ful Vue type or semi rimless. And get the bridge wider - only as needed - but get the frame hinge to hinge a bit narrower so that the glasses come in from your side/ears. I think on almost any glasses that wire temples will suit you better.

I suspect the full Buddy Holly /Hipster/Nerdy asian heavy black frames Freeway type wont suit you at all. Small round thin framed tortoise shells would probably work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom