Everything Eyewear

Will try the vinegar tip. There is always some dirt on the nose cushions though. Unless you get somebody to switch them out for new ones every now and again.

I have a small el cheapo "Watch Repair Kit" - the screw drivers are great for fixing/tightening spectacle frames etc. Just take the pads off and clean them. All my friends get me to do theirs. Most people have a screw loose somewhere ! - I have a supply of new nose pads. Also frame screws. Order stuff online from HK or China

Another tip - if your frame screws are coming loose then put a bit of clear nail polish on them when you tighten them up and it will stop them coming loose.

And here's one of my top tips: when you get dirt and grime building up between the frame and outside of the lenses, it's difficult to get rid of, the best solution is take a business card and with one of the edges run this around the interface between lens and frame. This will pick-up and remove the dirt.

A pair of Linda Farrow x Ann Demeulemeester coming my way.

I like these aviators in titanium
IMG_1711.JPG

In Jermyn Street yesterday I noticed an opticians called Cubitt offering custom gold frames. Online they seem to offer reasonable price off the shelf frames, though mostly not to my taste - but the custom prices are below what Crapton would pay

and their video looked interesting

and they are not Luxxotica.

https://www.cubitts.co.uk/glasses

Huh. There's a brick and mortar Oliver Peoples in my city now. I can't tell if they do lenses or just sell the frames. I guess I'll check them out - though my insurance will only cover half their inflated price.

Hey Dropbear Dropbear , here's a list of independent eyeglass makers. Knock yourself out!

999.9 (read: Four Nines) - Based in Japan, sold at retail locations in Japan and Singapore

9Five - US-based, online ordering. Frames in a very "bling" style featuring 24k gold plating on many models.

Ace & Tate - Amsterdam based, inexpensive ordering of lens/frames online. Europe only.

AHLEM - Brand based in LA with frames hand made in France. Branded stores in California, with authorized retailers worldwide and online ordering available.

Andy Wolf - Hand-made frames from Austria. Resellers located worldwide. Not available for direct online ordering.

Anglo American - Hand-made frames from London. Online ordering available in US with retail store in IL

Anne et Valentin - Made in France. Colorful frames with playful shapes. Flagship stores in Paris and NYC, with authorized dealers worldwide. No direct online ordering

Ayame - Japanese brand with mostly subdued frame shapes. Retailers in Japan and Hong Kong. No direct online ordering available.

Bailey Nelson - Australian maker, with retail locations across Australia. Online ordering only avaialble in Australia.

Barton Perreira - Online ordering available to US/Europe, with retail locations worldwide

Bevel - USA-based, sells through authorized retailers with locations in North America, Europe, Asia, and Oceania.

Blake Kuwahara - LA based designer with bold, thick frames. Sold via authorized resellers worldwide. No direct online sales.

Blyszak - British. Slightly less expensive buffalo horn frames (450 GBP). Same deal as Rigards. They also have mixed buffalo & metal, or just metal, for less expensive prices.

Bonlook - Retail locations in Canada, with online ordering to US and Canada and international shipping available

Booth and Bruce - English maker specializing in "funky" frames. Sells through authorized retailers, mostly located in Europe.

Cameron James Co. - New Australian eyewear maker. Materials are buffalo horn ($150-$200), and wood ($70). I bought some buffalo horn sunglasses from him earlier this year and I've been pleased with them. If you don't like the styles on the website, look through his Instagram and he'll be happy to make you an older style. He also runs an etsy shop under the same name.

Chrome Hearts - Luxury label associated with bikers, using precious metals. Said to be one of the most expensive brands of eyeglasses in the world. Difficult to find, as authorized retailers are not allowed to sell online. Only a handful of retailers in the US, Asia, and Europe.

Claire Goldsmith - Modern branch of Oliver Goldsmith. Sells through authorized resellers worldwide. Online ordering available through resellers.

Cubitts - Based in London, offering genuine horn frames, custom designs, and bespoke service. Retail presence in the UK only. International shipping available.

Cutler and Gross - British luxury eyewear brand. Retail locations and resellers in UK and US, with international online ordering available.

Dita - Based out of LA, with limited retail locations worldwide and online ordering within the US

Drift - Based in Chicago. Frames made of wood and acetate. Resellers primarily in US and Canada. No direct online sales.

Etnia Barcelona - Based in Bercelona and known for colorful designs, with authorized resellers worldwide

EyeBuyDirect - Specializes in inexpensive prescription eyewear online, based in the US. International shipping available.

Eyevan7285 - Brand based in Japan, with authorized resllers worldwide.

Face à Face - Paris-based brand, sells through authorized resellers primarily located in Europe. No direct online ordering.

FH One - German brand by the creators of Freudenhaus. Retail shops in Germany. Resellers across Europe and the US. No direct online sales.

Freudenhaus - German brand. Retail shops in Germany. Resellers across Europe and the US. No direct online sales.

Garrett Leight - Based in California, available through several online resellers with international shipping available

Glass Factory - Japanese brand. Retail locations in Japan and online ordering in Japan only.

Gold and Wood - Luxury eyewear brand based in Luxembourg. Specializes in materials like buffalo horn and wood. Sells through authorized resellers worldwide. No direct online sales.

Han Kjobenhavn - Bold sunglass designs. Based in Denmark with retailers in Denmark, and online ordering (Denmark only?). Online resellers may ship outside of dk.

Harry Lary's - Metal and acetate frames, dubbed "retro futurist." Hand-made in France. Sold through resellers worldwide. No direct online ordering available.

HENAU - Belgian brand with hand-made frames in bold colors and unusual shapes. Sells through resellers worldwide. No direct online sales.

ic! Berlin - Brand based in Berlin with mostly minimalist designs and distinctive silhouettes. Sells through reselllers worldwide. No direct online sales.

Italia Independent - Italian based with a number of retailers across Europe, with a limited number outside of Europe. Online ordering / international shipping available.

Jacques Marie Mage - Based in Hollywood, focusing on small batch production. Authorized resellers worldwide. No direct online ordering.

JINS - Founded in Japan and expanding to the US, offering inexpensive frame/lens combos in mostly traditional styles with features like blue light reduction. Available in Japan and online within the US. Retail locations in the US, Japan and China.

Julius Tart Optical - Japanese brand, with a limited selection of thick rim styles. Retail locations in Japan only. No direct online ordering.

Kaenon - Prescription sunglasses designed for sports. US-based with online ordering.

Kaibosh - Norwegian brand with retail stores in Norway, with online worldwide shipping available

Kala - Made in California. Sells via authorized resellers.

Kaleos Eyehunters - Acetate and metal frames in distinctive shapes. Authorized resellers worldwide, although a limited number in the US. No direct online ordering.

Kaneko - Japanese brand with sub-brands like Kaneko Gankyo, Spivvy, Craftsman Series, and Issey Miyake Eyes. Retail locations in Japan only.

Karmoie - Based in Oslo. Sells through retail locations, mostly throughout Norway, with a limited presence outside of the EU. No direct online ordering.

Kirk and Kirk - London based maker, with thick, colorful frames. Also allows customization of animal medallions that appear at the temple on certain models. Online ordering worldwide.

Krewe - Stores in New Orleans, Dallas, and New York with US/International shipping available online

Kuboraum - German company. Again, very expensive (~$400-$800), numerous collaborations with high end fashion designers. Acetate frames.

Kyoto Eyewear - Japanese company that is parent brand of Ptolemy 48, AugustoValentiniDesign, Masaki Matushima, Ken Akuyama, and Waza. Very limited retail presence outside of Japan.

L.G.R. - Eyeglass designs said to be inspired by Africa, with handmade frames from Italy. Direct online ordering worldwide.

LA Eyeworks - Based in LA, specializing in bold, colorful frames with adventurous patterns. Offers direct online sales in the US only.

Lafont - Based in France. Minimalist frames aiming for Parisian chic. Retail stores in France. No direct online sales.

Leisure Society - Luxury brand with understated designs using premium materials and precious metal accents. Ships worldwide and sells via authorized resellers.

Linda Farrow - Specializes in avante garde styles and collaborations with designers like Dries Van Noten, Ann Demeulemeester, and 3.1 Philip Lim, using luxury materials. Direct online ordering available worldwide.

Lindberg - Danish designer that specializes in subtle but unique designs which are somewhat understated, with unique touches like unusual hinge designs. Sold through authorized resellers worldwide. No direct online purchase available.

Masunaga - Japanese brand with wide variety of designs leaning toward the somewhat retro. Retail prescence in Japan only. No direct online sales.

Matsuda - Japanese brand with designs that are typically understated, hand-constructed, often featuring details like engraving. Also has a line featuring precious metals such as sterling silver and gold. Resellers worldwide. No direct online sales.

Maui Jim - Sunglass maker based in Hawaii, once acquired by Luxottica, but has since spun back off into its own independent brand. Large retail presence worldwide. Direct online ordering available in US and Europe.

Max Pittion -

Monoceros -

Morel Eyewear - French eyeglasses group that manages brands Oga, Lightec, Marius Morel, Rebel, and Nomad. Sells via authorized resllers. No direct online sales.

Morgenthal Frederics - Luxury brand based out of New York City. High priced frames hand made from premium materials. Limited number of retail stores located within the US. Online ordering by direct inquiry only.

Moscot -

Mykita - Premium brand from Germany focusing on minimalist designs. Direct online ordering available in the US and Europe.

Nackymade - Full bespoke handmade frames from Japan. Trunk shows and fittings available at a limited number of locations in USA, Europe, and Japan.

Native Sons -

O & X - New York based brand. Resellers within the US. No direct online sales.

Olivier Goldsmith -

Orgreen -

Oscar Wylee -

Ovvo - Handmade glasses produced in Germany and Poland with futuristic designs. Sells via authorized resellers worldwide. No direct online sales.

Owndays - Japanese brand, retail locations across Asia, and some in The Netherlands and Australia.

Penn Avenue Eyewear - Prices finally come down from the stratosphere. Acetate, metal, and buffalo horn frames. $60-$70 starting point for acetate and metal frames, $250 for buffalo horn.

Prodesign Denmark -

Raen - US-based with online ordering and limited retail locations in the US. International shipping available

Reiz -

Reptile - Maker of sunglasses based in Dallas. Distributes products throughout North America via authorized resellers. Online sales available in North America.

RetroSuperFuture -

Rigards - Really, really expensive buffalo horn frames (~$400-$1,000 I think) by a Korean and French duo. They collaborate with a lot of obscure, high end fashion designers. Phenomenal quality from what I hear. They make primarily sunglasses, but they can be fitted with prescription lenses. The shop you take it to has to know how to work with buffalo though.

ROLF Spectacles -

Rudy Project - Sunglasses designed for sports use. Online sales and authorized resellers worldwide.

Salt Optics -

Schnuchel - Handmade frames from Germany. Online resellers ship to US, Europe, and Asia

Serengeti -

Shuron -

Silhouette Glasses -

Spektre - Italian based eyeglass maker. Online ordering worldwide.

Spy Optic -

Sunday Somewhere - Sunglass brand designed in Austrialia. Direct online ordering worldwide.

Tavat - Based in France. Sells via authorized resellers. No direct online sales.

The Bespoke Dudes Eyewear -

Theo - Belgian brand offering fun designs. Sells via authorized resellers worldwide. No direct online ordering.

Tom Davies - Based in the UK. Offers bespoke and RTW glasses. Sells via stores in the UK and resellers worldwide. No direct online sales.

Topology Eyewear - Based in San Francisco, offering custom glasses generated through a phone app. USA-only currently.

Tres Noir - Based in California. Specializes in affordable lenses/frames. Online ordering worldwide.

Vinylize -

Viu - Glasses made in Zurich with home try-on available in Europe. Branded stores and authorized retailers in Europe only.

Warby Parker - Originally online-based, but now has several showrooms in major US cities. Inexpensive (glasses + frames for $100) mostly acetate frames in generally "hipster-ish" styles. Offers home try-on kits.

Wiley X - Specializes in protective eyewear for military, law enforcement, and civilian use. Highly durable lenses. Sells online to US and Canada. Authorized resellers worldwide.

Yellows Plus -

Zeal - Based in Boulder, CO, focusing on sporting friendly sunglasses. Also does prescription ski goggles. Ships to US or Canada or sells through authorized resellers.

Zen Barcelona -

Zenni Optical - US-based online-only, specializing in inexpensive frames/prescription combos, international shipping available

Thanks. I just found a hipster place down the street that stocks several of these brands. Will do a try-on visit after work tomorrow!

Hey Dropbear Dropbear , here's a list of independent eyeglass makers. Knock yourself out!

JINS - Founded in Japan and expanding to the US, offering inexpensive frame/lens combos in mostly traditional styles with features like blue light reduction. Available in Japan and online within the US. Retail locations in the US, Japan and China.

I can highly recommend Jins - I haven't gone anywhere else for glasses for the past decade or so.

A large selection of good quality acetate and metal frames at excellent prices. I usually pay the equivalent of US$60-70/pair in Tokyo, and that includes blue-light reduction coating on the lenses.

Their Japanese stores have a wide selection of lenses in stock and, as I have a standard prescription, they can fit lenses into my frames in 30 minutes. So I go in, choose frames, check that they fit, come back 30 minutes later, try the frames with lenses, have them adjusted around the nose and ears and walk out with the finished product.

Compared to Australia, where you pay about US$300 for a pretty ordinary frame and have to wait a week for lenses to be fitted and then you don't even have someone half-decent adjust the frames, Jins is utterly brilliant!

I dropped in to the hipster optometrist down the street. The Dr was very cute and distracting. I Tried the GL model above and I like it - in a lighter color (they do one called matt espresso that’s nice) and one size down from this.
A0443610-3139-4FC1-83E0-8E8DDC3DD40A.jpeg

I asked the ladies at walmart and so far we have one vote for each style. The one who said the 2nd frame was better said she got a walter white vibe.

The cute optometrist also liked the square ones.

Send pics of Walmart Ladies. The hottest one’s choice wins.

Last edited:
322FC9F2-C12B-4D12-8FFD-421ECD492AF6.jpeg

fxh fxh i think said you wore clip in sunglasses. Can you explain the benefit over having a second pair of Rx sunglasses for me?

View attachment 30689

fxh fxh i think said you wore clip in sunglasses. Can you explain the benefit over having a second pair of Rx sunglasses for me?
I got 2 pairs of clip ons. Some classic Shuron Malcolm X Revelations in tortoiseshell + gold clip ons and another pair of cheap, light frames with clip ons.
The benefits/reason is the same ones I wear bifocals from arising in am to retiring to prone at pm.

I can't stand taking specs on and off. I got bi-focals to allow me to leave glasses on all day. I can function 90% of time with no glasses but for reading or detail I need glasses.

I used to have just readers and some look overs. But I got sick of it in meetings - if I had readers on I couldn't see people and if I didn't have readers on I couldn't see agenda - and as chair seeing agenda and papers is important.

Much the same for every day - I can do most tasks sans specs but carrying readers around means leaving them somewhere, falling out of pocket, sitting on them or just plain not having them.

Same with sunnies/shades - Clip ons let me carry clip on in shirt pocket, read stuff with shades on or if inside simply clip off shades and plonk in shirt pocket. Other wise you need to carry around 2 x pair of specs.

The reason I didn't get those responsive type ones as they takes ages to adjust inside and you look like a dick in meetings in dark glasses and they aren't good for night driving

Seems a no brainer to me.

The reason I didn't get those responsive type ones as they takes ages to adjust inside and you look like a dick in meetings in dark glasses and they aren't good for night driving

Seems a no brainer to me.

I have grey and green photochromic lenses from HOYA. The technology is pretty advanced now and they are completely clear in the office and at night. The clarity and vision through the green ones are astounding and you never get any halos around lights which make them okay for driving at night. As they only react to UV rays, they don't change much in a car and then you're better with clip ons. I use the grey for clear sunny days and the green are good for clouds and all round situations.

The problem with photochromic lenses is that they still work on cloudy days and when it's cold they take a lot longer to clear. But you don't get that pervy look the grey and brown ones use to do back in the 1980s as they were never completely clear. Now they are crystal clear when out of UV light. Come the winter though, I generally ditch them for normal lenses.

^I think that the first pair out of those three is the best. The other two pairs are too large, and the pair in the post up above are just a touch too small.

^I think that the first pair out of those three is the best. The other two pairs are too large, and the pair in the post up above are just a touch too small.
One or two for me. One fits the eye a bit better but i kind of like the slightly larger frame on 2. Three is too large.

OK. Narrowing it down: the lighter colour of one or the darker colour of two and three? Matt or gloss if the latter?

I ordered three frames from the final selection (Hampton 44 in chestnut and matt pinewood, Kinney in 47 in matt whiskey tortoise). I’ll try them on at home and decide on which two to return.

I’m pretty much decided, but I’ll still ask - down to the final three:

88C00199-EB42-4479-928C-A64D1AA88C18.jpeg
AF659C6E-71B5-48EA-AA43-92CDA75BF310.jpeg
77090FC4-78A7-46E2-AF3A-0F97E70D99F1.jpeg

I like #1 the best, followed by #3. I think that #2 are a little bit too large for your face.

#3 might look slightly more "formal" than #1, due to the lighter, matt finish on #1 - but that's what I actually prefer about #1. Mind you, I'm biased, because my glasses are very similar.

Grand Potentate Grand Potentate - I'm not seeing any logo on #3 - are you sure it's not just a reflection/trick of the light?

Have you been to The Eye Gallery? The location on Westheimer carries a good selection of frames. I got 2 pairs of SALT from there along with a pair of Matsuda

They are good! I went there for some glasses when I worked in the area.

My new go-to is Eye-To-Eye in the Heights. Great service and knowledgeable, helpful staff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom