General fitness

Jan Libourel

Ratings
This afternoon I visited the little gym where I have a fortnightly private training session with the proprietor. He had acquired some new equipment, to wit, an Indian gada mace (about which I had inquired in an earlier post in this thread) and also a couple of Bulgarian bags, a device very new to me. I tried both. While they may have their merits for certain exercises, I don't believe I shall acquire either for my home gym.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
This afternoon I visited the little gym where I have a fortnightly private training session with the proprietor. He had acquired some new equipment, to wit, an Indian gada mace (about which I had inquired in an earlier post in this thread) and also a couple of Bulgarian bags, a device very new to me. I tried both. While they may have their merits for certain exercises, I don't believe I shall acquire either for my home gym.
why didn't you like the mace?

Jan Libourel

Ratings
It's not a question of "disliking" the mace. It's good for tire pounding, but that can already be done with sledgehammers, which I have. You can twirl it around your head, but I can do kettlebell "haloes" with more weight. Most of the other mace exercises--"spear thrust," "gravedigger," sundry presses, squats and curls all strike me as sort of makeshift, things that can be performed about as well or better with free weights, kettlebells or a sledgehammer, for that matter. If I had no other exercise equipment, I could no doubt derive some benefit from the gada, but that is hardly my situation. Much the same is true of the Bulgarian bag: The primary exercises I can duplicate pretty well with my heaviest Indian clubs.

Jan Libourel

Ratings
For some simple, basic exercises, you might check out the video on The Art of Manliness website. There are jillion Indian club exercises and workouts on the net, but I suggest you don't try anything too fancy at first, and the referenced video is a good starting point.

For the actual clubs, I recommend those offered by Richard "Army" Maguire at agelesstrength.com. They seem to offer an excellent quality/price/value ratio. All my clubs come from him. Since it sounds as if you are already working out, I suggest starting with a pair of 2-pound clubs.

There are a number of 19th century books available on Indian club swinging, but I find most of the diagrams in them horribly complex. I'm damned if I can make much sense of most of them, and at least at one time I was accounted a fairly bright guy.

Ratings
For some simple, basic exercises, you might check out the video on The Art of Manliness website. There are jillion Indian club exercises and workouts on the net, but I suggest you don't try anything too fancy at first, and the referenced video is a good starting point.

For the actual clubs, I recommend those offered by Richard "Army" Maguire at agelesstrength.com. They seem to offer an excellent quality/price/value ratio. All my clubs come from him. Since it sounds as if you are already working out, I suggest starting with a pair of 2-pound clubs.

There are a number of 19th century books available on Indian club swinging, but I find most of the diagrams in them horribly complex. I'm damned if I can make much sense of most of them, and at least at one time I was accounted a fairly bright guy.
Excellent, thank you! I did find a couple of books, but I couldn't make head nor tail of them.

Jan Libourel

Ratings
Visited the gym where I train after a hiatus of three weeks. The proprietor had gotten two additional gada maces, raising his total to three in seven, 10 and 15-pound weights. I pounded a tire with the 15-pounder and also with my 16-pound sledgehammer, which I had stored for use at the gym. Curiously, the 15-pound gada seemed much more dynamic handling than the sledgehammer, more than the one-pound difference would indicate. I believe the difference comes from the fact that weight of the sledgehammer is concentrated more in the head, while the gada has a thick steel handle that distributes the weight more evenly. Aside from pounding, I still find the gada to be of very finite utility.

Additionally, I did some swinging with a pair of 10-pound clubbells. I was left feeling they didn't offer much that I didn't get from my heaviest Indian clubs. They also had a sort of "dead" feeling--much less dynamic than the wooden clubs.

I also used slamballs for the first time. I picked up a 90-pounder and carried it around the gym several times. It was challenging and fun and practically a workout in itself. I also had fun picking up a 50-pounder overhead and slamming it across the gym floor. I might be tempted to acquire a few, but for the fact they are fairly pricey, and I know the tyrannical termagant would give me hell over the space they took up!

Last edited:
Top Bottom