It's always five o'clock somewhere

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
I split two bottles of wine last night with a family friend at Sunday dinner. How do regular people do this - constraining their drinking to the weekends? Horrible way to kick off the work week. No wonder people moan about Mondays.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
I had 7 pints of Spearhead Moroccan Brown Ale. Then shoved off to the Irish bar and had a few Jamesons.

Given I had 3 bottles of non alcoholic beer at lunch I've my fill of carbs for the week.

Kingstonian

Ratings
We did the Bermondsey Beer Mile yesterday. Various craft brewers on trading estates and under railway arches in a working class area with council flats that will gradually get gentrified. Fourpure brewery was very good. Southwark Brewing Company had cask beer on as well as craft.
https://jetsettingfools.com/london-craft-beer-crawl-bermondsey-beer-mile/

Maltby Street Market sold ethnic street food. I had porridge and a full English breakfast before we set out. No need for more nosh.
https://londonist.com/london/food/the-top-5-experiences-at-maltby-street-market

Lots of unlikely little places selling cheeses, ice cream etc along the route too.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
I had probably three fingers of CC making dinner. Then had 4 double Jamesons. 3 double Johnnie Black. 2 single Johnnie Black. One glass of malbec.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
If you haven't tried any South African gins yet, they are highly recommended, I've not had a bad one yet and the two below are excellent. The Dutch De Borgen new style yet with 19th century botanicals is a cut above most genevers and is excellent with some East Imperial ginger beer:

IMG_1202.JPG

Kingstonian

Ratings
Had Jawbox Belfast gin in Wetherspoons gin festival. More expensive than their usual premium gins but still far cheaper than gin in other pubs and bars.

Might try Bathtub gin next.

Kingstonian

Ratings
Both were OK. However, I do not notice huge differences in gin. So I will stick to Beefeater and Plymouth for home consumption and Tanqueray in Wetherspoons. Will never buy Gordon’s on principle after they lowered the strength below 40% . Will not seek out stronger export versions of Gordon’s either.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Both were OK. However, I do not notice huge differences in gin. So I will stick to Beefeater and Plymouth for home consumption and Tanqueray in Wetherspoons. Will never buy Gordon’s on principle after they lowered the strength below 40% . Will not seek out stronger export versions of Gordon’s either.
There is hard liquor below 40% alcohol? What is that? A strong port?

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
Gordan's is a nasty gin, try a G&T made with one and then Beefeater. In comparison, Gordan's is all musty tasting and the Beefeater straight and clean. Of the entry level and widely available gins, Beefeater is about the best.

Purchased a few new gins: the Kyoto Ki No Bi, Whitley Neill Rhubarb & Ginger Gin (which I notice is now being distilled in Liverpool, not South Africa) and Brick Gin from Germany which is supposed a neutral taste for mixing. I've only tried the Ki No Bi last night with East Imperial Burma Tonic and mighty fine it was too. I'll make a proper pink gin with the Brick Gin before dinner.

Thread starter #1,343

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Ratings
Gordan's is a nasty gin, try a G&T made with one and then Beefeater. In comparison, Gordan's is all musty tasting and the Beefeater straight and clean. Of the entry level and widely available gins, Beefeater is about the best.

Purchased a few new gins: the Kyoto Ki No Bi, Whitley Neill Rhubarb & Ginger Gin (which I notice is now being distilled in Liverpool, not South Africa) and Brick Gin from Germany which is supposed a neutral taste for mixing. I've only tried the Ki No Bi last night with East Imperial Burma Tonic and mighty fine it was too. I'll make a proper pink gin with the Brick Gin before dinner.
Beefeater is pretty much my safe go to gin. It was my daily, but I've really got into Gunpowder for G&T. Dont drink so many martinis these days or I would probably keep Beefeater in hand as Gunpowder isn't my favorite martini gin.

Gunpowder is great for Negronis too.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Beefeater is pretty much my safe go to gin. It was my daily, but I've really got into Gunpowder for G&T. Dont drink so many martinis these days or I would probably keep Beefeater in hand as Gunpowder isn't my favorite martini gin.

You drank every day?

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
It's up there with the best of the modern gins.

I've just tried that Whitley Neil Rhubarb & Ginger Gin, whilst it's not perfume like, or sickly sweet, it's pretty much full on rhubarb and ginger. Likely you would get bored of it pretty quick. I'm thinking of using it like bitters and lash it in with lesser gins e.g. Bombay 1761.

Top Bottom