Odd Things Seen Daily By Me

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
People trimming or filing their nails in public. Sitting in a boardroom. Standing on a train platform. Sitting in the train.

How constrained is your time (or how mismanaged) that you need to do this in public?

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Ratings
Was going into the bank today and came up on an older gentleman from the subcontinent who was here on a super visa to visit his family. Only here for a few days.

He held open the door and said "please sir, you first, have a prosperous long life". I reciprocated on the inner door and he was chuffed. We stood across from each other in different lines and he invites me closer with a crooked finger. I lean in.

"I'm Indian you know. Not Pakistani". He spat derision when he said "Pakistani"

I said "Yes Sab, you are a Sikh."

"You know this?"

"Yes, Sab. Your turban kind of gives you away."

"Why do you call me Sab?"

"You know why. Isn't a term of respect?"

"Yes. An Indian title of respect. I am Indian not Pakistani."

"Yes Sab. You are from Punjab are you not?"

"Why do you know this?"

"Everybody knows that here why are you surprised?"

"Many people do not know this."

"Here?"

"I was in Florida for 3 years when my son was studying there. Everyone thinks I am from Pakistan and called me a Paki."

"You are not in Florida anymore, Sab."

"Have a long and prosperous life"

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Last night I was sitting at a bar and this couple come in next to me. They order a round of cocktails and then head for Crowne on the rocks. The man orders wings with a side of coleslaw. The woman orders a chicken burger without a bun and some side substitution that had guacamole. When the supervisor stops by to clear their dishes he complains the coleslaw wasn't what he expected. That got taken off the bill. After they get the cheque, she complains to the bartender (not the supervisor) her guacamole was bad and the chicken burger gets taken off the cheque. Essentially they ate for free and paid for the drinks. Who spends the time to dodge what must be at most a $60 cheque ?

Top Bottom