StyleForum - Behind the Veil: Money, Politics & Bullshit

For those of you curious about what ads and networks StyleForum is running, this is a screenshot that Ghostery picked up after I clicked on the link to the pants in Thruth Thruth 's post above

1.png

You've got:

VigLinks
DartSearch
DoubleClick
ChannelIntelligence
And a very high level of tracking. Just look at the length of that link code!

Russell Street I know you asked about this shit before. Well, there you go.

For those of you curious about what ads and networks StyleForum is running, this is a screenshot that Ghostery picked up after I clicked on the link to the pants in Thruth's post above

Interesting - and disappointing.

That is, as far as I'm aware, quite a new thing and was probably introduced when they upgraded the forum a few days ago, as I've never noticed it on SF before. AAAC have been running those embedded links for quite some time now and I find them to be irritating and pointless.

There's a lot of ugly shit on that unStyleforum market.

Why can't they call these things what they are? They're promotional exercises, not collaborations. I've noticed Crap-tom claiming the same thing - that he has a collaboration with this or that profinator, when in reality it's just a tacky shilling arrangement.

I suppose it's not as bad as these alleged celebrity alleged designer things you see sometimes. Still, it makes me despair when I think how stupid people are.

if they really want to make some money, they should sell rim-job opportunities on the unStyle forum market. Members would queue up to give rim-jobs to their favourite shill-bloggers, profinators, and crap-style "experts".

They could probably sell glory hole kneeling spots as well. After all, people bought "spots" for the privilege of paying for restaurant-made leather jackets that will never be delivered, so why not?

if they really want to make some money, they should sell rim-job opportunities on the unStyle forum market. Members would queue up to give rim-jobs to their favourite shill-bloggers, profinators, and crap-style "experts".

They could probably sell glory hole kneeling spots as well. After all, people bought "spots" for the privilege of paying for restaurant-made leather jackets that will never be delivered, so why not?

Two for the price of one:

The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc... - Page 3522

That's insane. The start of truly monetising the site as much as possible before it dies.

That's insane. The start of truly monetising the site as much as possible before it dies.

Why not? Your thinking is backwards, which is why this affiliate doesn't make sense. You're starting from the position that the website is a forum for people to discuss menswear. It might be that also, but that part of it is incidental to its true function.

Why not? Your thinking is backwards, which is why this affiliate doesn't make sense. You're starting from the position that the website is a forum for people to discuss menswear. It might be that also, but that part of it is incidental to its true function.
This.

I'm aware that SF mainly facilitates buying (too) expensive things that aren't a necessity for most people. Clothing and its discussion are no longer its foundation (and haven't been for a while), and I'm not a fan of that. Now that relatively unrelated affiliates are allowed to sign up, the focus is shifting away from clothing even more rapidly. This might be nice for others, but not for me.

Btw, Fok's posts in that thread are cringe worthy. Can't he be a little bit more subtle about the fact they told him to ask about sennheiser headphones that they just happen to stock? What a coincidence!

Last edited:
You guys give too many fucks for that fucking website. Styleforum is/was cool for only one thing, sizing, most people have a god awful taste. Not that mine is any better, but that doesn't belong here. Man up bitches.

You guys give too many fucks for that fucking website. Styleforum is/was cool for only one thing, sizing, most people have a god awful taste. Not that mine is any better, but that doesn't belong here. Man up bitches.

You know that Dressedwell was founded to bitch about others, right? So let us bitch.

Actually, it was founded to give people an alternative to SF, not just to bitch. I think the founder saw the writing on the wall over at SF.

Such a visionary, who was it? We should thank that wise man, perhaps by giving donations?

Such a visionary, who was it? We should thank that wise man, perhaps by giving donations?
He keeps the donation to himself, being a jew and all that. He has a couple of chinese kids doing all the work.

Great - just what I always wanted, a parka with a peg holder at the back of the hood. WTF?

The Details:
-
Monitaly created this product exclusively for Styleforum, and it will always only be available here.
- Made from recycled US Military tents
- Incorporates original features of tent into the design of the tent, like a peg holder at the back of the hood.

Looks like they've added their first official affiliate outside of the clothing forums:

LiveSoundwave - Official Affiliate Thread

When I saw this ad on the SF frontpage the other day I wondered if SF had been hacked, but then I looked at the thread and realised that it was genuine.

Fok's comments were truly cringe-worthy. "Great timing!" and "[your showroom] is like my house, but tidier". Really? I mean, really?!?!

That Parka is hideous.

By the way, who is this Fuk? Sounds like an asstroll and social dangerous tacky.

Great - just what I always wanted, a parka with a peg holder at the back of the hood. WTF?

When I saw this ad on the SF frontpage the other day I wondered if SF had been hacked, but then I looked at the thread and realised that it was genuine.

Fok's comments were truly cringe-worthy. "Great timing!" and "[your showroom] is like my house, but tidier". Really? I mean, really?!?!

as Vox pointined out, StyFo traffic has been taking a nose dive

that is a massive dip in traffic. wonder what new sales opportunities we'll see pop up.

I'm sure the noise signal has increased as well however bad it's become for years but people start realizing waste too much time finding the signal not worth the effort.

Ah yes, march 16 is right around when I left SF.
Would make sense if your SF moniker was InSnitches... Since his employer found out how much company time he was wasting on SF and then hired a full time person to stand over his shoulder and monitor his PC use, Styleforum traffic has decreased by at least 80%.

This was the reason I decided to sign up. I learned quite a bit when I joined SF back in 2009-2010. Started making my own ties and pocket squares about a year ago. Went back to message them as I saw many others ( Conrad Wu, Vanda, etc) who saw great success on the forum. Gave my whole story about how inspired I was and the influence the forum had on my personal taste over the years; The reason I am a bit more discerning in what I wear. Found out about the $600 per month affiliate fees. Although I was looking to advertise my shit, I did notice there was no longer an active community where people could learn ( unless they dug up old threads). Even to post my brand for sake of feedback from a community that understood my product, I figured I might get banned if I didn't pay up. A few years too late I guess. Ditto to what FXH mentioned about things moving into Esquire/GQ/Mainstream territory. Chock full of "Insiders/Influencers" LOL.

This was the reason I decided to sign up. .............Found out about the $600 per month affiliate fees. ..

So the choice:

Pay $600 a month to sell to a bunch of passive aggressive posters on trust funds who will buy your stuff if it becomes flavour of the month

Or

Join here for nothing to have a bunch of just straight aggressive idiots who either have no money, buy nothing or are in dodgy "jobs" with criminal networks - to have the DW mob give you advice on how to run your business, design ties etc. Advice from people who couldn't organise a fuck in a brothel on free samples day.

people who couldn't organise a fuck in a brothel on free samples day.
:roll:

Literally LOL'd

I couldn't get over the risk factor of $600 per month and maybe sell 20 but become rum raisin next week. Obviously I will never be spotted in Vegas. Though I'm sure 600 might go far in one of THOSE brothels... is Airforce Amy still working?

Does any of that advertising work?

Hanger Project for example.

I suppose Pediwear and Herring shoes and Equus will get noticed.

I wonder who bought Kabbaz shirts when he took an interest in AAAC? You would need a lot more money than sense.

I don't think there are so many high rollers on forums these days either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom