The All-Inclusive Shoe & Boot Thread

1. Thank goodness you have banned "hate" from your vocabulary.

2. Dislike. That would be a more appropriate word. Yes. Dislike.

3. Nothing wrong with lurking.

4. But more talk of your love for good shoes and why they are good shoes.

5. You can't separate talking about shoes and shoe construction because of allegations of shilling?

1. yes and I recommend it.

2. hmmh, there are things I dislike. none of them are on the list. why should i dislike overhyped brands from styfo denizens? makes no sense to me, sense.

dumpster king is a clown. he amuses me to a certain degree. thats all.

3. thank you

4. I assume, you're kidding me. nvm. I think they are good shoes, because they have been made by experienced makers and the stood the test of time. I'm very content. thanks for asking.

5. sort of. also, shoey is more interested in the different methods and likes to talk about these things. I'm happy with wood-pegged and try to stick with it. understood, nowadays I'm more into restoration projects and the construction is a side show, more or less. too many shoes to really care about this anymore.

1. yes and I recommend it.

2. hmmh, there are things I dislike. none of them are on the list. why should i dislike overhyped brands from styfo denizens? makes no sense to me, sense.

dumpster king is a clown. he amuses me to a certain degree. thats all.

3. thank you

4. I assume, you're kidding me. nvm. I think they are good shoes, because they have been made by experienced makers and the stood the test of time. I'm very content. thanks for asking.

5. sort of. also, shoey is more interested in the different methods and likes to talk about these things. I'm happy with wood-pegged and try to stick with it. understood, nowadays I'm more into restoration projects and the construction is a side show, more or less. too many shoes to really care about this anymore.

No one knows what it's like
To be the bad man
To be the sad man
Behind a shoe man's eyes

To be hated
To be fat
To telling only lies

But my shoe dreams
They aren't as impure
As my shilling attempts seemed to be

I have hours, only lonely
My Mafeti love is vengeance
That's never free

To be the bad man
To be the sad man
Behind a shoe man's eyes

To be hated
To be fat
To telling only lies

But my shoe dreams
They aren't as impure

That's never free

Fooking brilliant that is

explain hated and shilling attempt, otherwise shut the fuck up. senks

To be the bad man
To be the sad man
Behind a shoe man's eyes

To be hated
To be fat
To telling only lies

But my shoe dreams
They aren't as impure

That's never free

IMG_6137.PNG
W walker

Doesn't he work for Spoo?

I think that he worked for The Armoury in NY City for a while, then worked for Spoo's second-hand clothes business, then suddenly left - I suppose that he spent the intervening period laying the groundwork for this venture.

I think that he worked for The Armoury in NY City for a while, then worked for Spoo's second-hand clothes business, then suddenly left - I suppose that he spent the intervening period laying the groundwork for this venture.

That's such a sad career trajectory.

Also, W walker , look what could've been! You could've had a maftei showroom in NY!

didn't he push the saphir sales for the hanger project with a weekly cleaning session?

what is the connection between me and this guy?

Between you and Gus ? Well that is obvious and well documented.

Between you and Zach? No direct connection . Only that he managed to achieve success with the shill Gus and now has a San Fran shoo operation. Exactly what you had hoped to do with Gus on behalf of Maftei.

Not very hard to understand. Capiche. But you seem to have a limited capacity so who knows? Nvm. Ymmv

actually, he asked me ..., so just stfu. ups, I forgot aren't you a top top desktop researcher, what a bad joke, ololo

better take care of the pissing truck driver in the parking lot. its more your league. trust me ...

No surprise he asked you. Scum recognizes scum.

Truck driver was taking a shit actually.

not yet ... c'mon do it ...
Well, they're the ultimate boot you can wear as a shoe for the office or some more formal situation after coming in from inclement conditions. Highly recommended, but I don't wear them in the summer. Mine are already in the great seasonal shoe pyramid.

'A ripping yarn': new book tells how famous Kiwi shoe polish was made in Oz Carolyn Webb

Forty years ago Fergus Ramsay was on holiday in the city of Cuzco, Peru, when he spied a shopkeeper using an Australian shoe polish, Kiwi. It struck Ramsay just how far the brand – which has a family connection – had come.

Melbourne-made: the Kiwi phenomenon
Kiwi shoe polish kept the world's shoes shining since 1906, but "the most successful manufacturer" in Australian history was from Carlton.

In 1906, his grandfather, William Ramsay, started Kiwi in a two-roomed factory in Bouverie Street, Carlton, with business partner Hamilton McKellan. It sounds like a New Zealand product, but yes, Kiwi actually began in Melbourne. Its name derived from William's New Zealand-born wife, Annie.
1495926109976.jpg

Kiwi shoe polish founders William Ramsay (left) and Hamilton McKellan in the first Kiwi shop in Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, in 1909 with a billboard of arch rival Nugget brand at upper left. Photo: Supplied
Kiwi tins, with their distinctive name and bird symbol, became staples in homes from Calcutta to Calgary.

A new book about Kiwi, commissioned by Fergus and four other Ramsay grandchildren, tells how by the early 1980s, 250 million tins sold annually, in 183 countries. It had 24 factories around the world.

The book, Kiwi: The Australian Brand That Brought a Shine to the World, is the final work of late journalist Keith Dunstan.

Dunstan wrote that Kiwi was "probably the most successful manufacturer in Australian corporate history" and "surely the first worldwide Aussie brand".
1495926109976.jpg

Annie Folk and her brothers Dougal Ramsay (left) and Fergus Ramsay, grandchildren of William Ramsay, who founded Kiwi shoe polish with Hamilton McKellan in 1906. Pictured outside Clydebank, the former Ramsay mansion in Essendon. Photo: Penny Stephens
The book is also a migrant success story. William Ramsay, his parents John and Margaret and three siblings, migrated from Scotland in 1878. They made a fortune in real estate, and in 1888 built the glorious mansion, Clydebank, in Essendon, now part of Ave Maria college.
1495926109976.jpg

The army's love of shoe polish, particularly Dark Tan, proved a boon to Kiwi's global sales in wartime. Photo: Penny Stephens

In the early 1900s, William was keen to make his own mark, so set up the Carlton factory, trying to make everything from disinfectants to eczema ointments. He struck gold with boot polish: Melburnians welcomed a way to re-blacken shoes muddied on the city's dirt roads.
1495926109976.jpg

One of the witty Kiwi ads, circa 1925, on the cover of the new book: the women's legs spell out 'KIWI'. Photo: Supplied
Dunstan notes that World War I "was the making of Kiwi" – it scored huge Australian and British military contracts, particularly with its dark tan colour. William's father John headed a formidable sales force in the UK after William died of cancer in 1914.

Kiwi became known for its witty poster ads, now collectors' items. In 1916, it made an early silent film ad depicting two boys shining a hotel's guests' shoes after adult staff enlisted in the war.

Demand for boot polish soared again in World War II, including from US troops. A low point came when Kiwi's factory in Rouen, France, was bombed and co-opted by the Nazis for their own boots.

After the war, William's son Tom travelled the world selling Kiwi, opening factories from Singapore to Kenya. By the 1970s Kiwi had diversified into car polish, toilet cleaner, shampoo and bleach. In 1980, it had 1475 global employees.

In 1982, the company merged with pharmaceutical company Nicholas, then listed on the sharemarket.

Fergus says his father Tom was devastated in 1984 when the company was sold to multinational Consolidated Foods, but market forces were out of his control. Kiwi's overseas operations were acquired by Sara Lee – best known for its apple pies – before being sold to its current owner, US company SC Johnson, in 2010. Kiwi is still sold in shops, but is now made overseas.

Tom Ramsay, who died in 1995, was a meticulous record-keeper: his children are seeking a home for his extensive Kiwi and family archive. Fergus says the book reflects the descendants' great pride in Kiwi. His brother Dougal Ramsay says the book is "a bit of a ripping yarn. It tells a very important story, of one of the few Australian companies that became an internationally known product that was sold around the world".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom