The Art Thread

The Ernesto

We have music and movies, here is art!

Have spent a bit of time at our local gallery in the past week, including at an exhibition from MoMA. Was just a little snapshot of modern art (usual suspects) but enjoyable nonetheless. Had some good conversations with the son who was both enthusiastic and disdainful at different times as we progressed through.

1914 gare montparnasse the melancholy of departure.jpg

W1siZiIsIjE1OTEyNCJdLFsicCIsImNvbnZlcnQiLCItcmVzaXplIDIwMDB4MjAwMFx1MDAzZSJdXQ.jpg

One of the places I'd love to get back to is the Pompidou Center in Paris. I am more taken by some of the War era modern art than almost anything. There's an evil and rawness in it that is captivating.

The Louwman car museum in The Hague has a very large collection of the English car illustrator and artist, Frederick Gordon Crosby, famous for designing the leaping Jaguar mascot and his art work captures the romance and the exhilaration of high performance cars between the two world wars:

Fredrick Gordon Crosby.png

FGC2.png FGC3.png

FGC4.png

FGC6.png

FGC5.png

Have been enjoying watching the TV show Art Detectives. They focus on hidden away paintings in local galleries with suspect attributions and then try and find out the truth behind the piece. The restorations they do are amazing. Last one I watched had a Brueghel the Younger where somebody in the 1960s had overpainted it in a really horrible way, why would someone do that?! The restored versions are often remarkable, the ability to return them to close to original state is fascinating.

Have been enjoying watching the TV show Art Detectives. They focus on hidden away paintings in local galleries with suspect attributions and then try and find out the truth behind the piece. The restorations they do are amazing. Last one I watched had a Brueghel the Younger where somebody in the 1960s had overpainted it in a really horrible way, why would someone do that?! The restored versions are often remarkable, the ability to return them to close to original state is fascinating.

It's almost black magic.

I'm also rather a fan of the German Expressionist Ludwig Meidner and his Apocalyptic Landscapes painted prior to WWI.
RV-AI474_ICONS__P_20121019031845.jpg

I’m overdosing on art, painting, sculpture at the moment. Ms. Fxh is an artist so we always do art. She likes to occasionally study stuff for a few minutes, sometimes she’s sketches, stuff and we meet other artists tha way, makes it more fun, but we’re not reverential and can whip through many galleries. Saw some interesting small Picasso’s yesterday and since we are in Toulouse , we made La Trek to see some of his originals. (Note small word play)

This is not a bad little gallery for an hour or so for Victorian and Pre-Raphaelite paintings, the Lady Lever Art Gallery, in Port Sunlight on the Wirral. I'll be taking my family there when I am back in Blighty in the next few weeks:

untitled.png

untitled2.png

Brunswickers.png

turner.png

untitled55.png

ppppp.png

Another good stop is The Lowry in Salford with the largest collection of L.S. Lowry's in the world. You need to get up close and see a Lowry in person, particularly the oil paintings which have a thick surface and contours which you cannot capture in a photograph or print:

1200px-The_Lowry_main_entrance.jpg

Self-Portrait.jpg

Coming-from-the-Mill.jpg

House-on-the-Moor.jpg

A-Fight1.jpg

Coming-from-the-Mill-c1917-18-500x388.jpg

schwartz_1-092613.jpg

Portrait-of-Ann.jpg

Not been to Port Sunlight for years. Need to arrange a trip there, as well as Portmeirion.

That is fantastic. I saw a reference to the Levers, had no idea about this. Amazing it survived.

Was thinking of LS Lowry the other week when I saw a bit of 24 Hour Party People.

What about a name for the cIub?
CaII it ''Factory.''
-I Iike that. It's a bit Andy WarhoI.
-It's a bit L.S. Lowry.

I've just been reading / looking through one of my Meidner monographs and it mentions that Grosz was friendly with Meidner and would regularly meet at the latters studio.

You can see the influence in that picture you posted which is very Meidneresque to my eye.

That is very interesting, the influence is very clear I think, the treatment of the blast and smoke is the same.

This was on display at Pomipdou last time I was there, along with a lot of interwar stuff.

It was here a few weeks ago, so we've both seen it!

Last edited:
Not been to Port Sunlight for years. Need to arrange a trip there, as well as Portmeirion.

I was thinking of heading down to Portmeirion during this coming trip, but the likely inclement weather in Snowdonia that time of year makes me think it's not a good idea, along with the slate mine. If the weather´s reasonable will take in one castle: Beeston. Quarry Bank Mill and one of the stately homes of England along with the galleries. Anything to make it not a week at Cheshire Oaks and Marks & Spencers at least twice a day.

Tired of being dragged through the galleries over there?
No not really. Ms. Is just as over them as I am. Since I met her we always go to galleries and have seen a lot, also we both now only take half an hour or so to do most galleries. And being in melbourne you , we, get to see a lot of originals. And to be honest few originals are all that different from a decent poster reproduction. I did see. A few Picasso’s in Toulouse that showed a progression from straight up excellent drawing skills to cubism. Ms has seen the Mona Lisa Andy says pffft it’s small and ...

Its about the same size as a piece of A2 paper. Its also behind a glass pane which provides amongst other things a corrective tint as the painting is filthy. Nobody, however has the guts to clean it.

Its a mediocre painting made famous by it being stolen, twice, I think.

I was thinking of heading down to Portmeirion during this coming trip, but the likely inclement weather in Snowdonia that time of year makes me think it's not a good idea, along with the slate mine. If the weather´s reasonable will take in one castle: Beeston. Quarry Bank Mill and one of the stately homes of England along with the galleries. Anything to make it not a week at Cheshire Oaks and Marks & Spencers at least twice a day.

Quarry Bank is nice, they've replanted the garden. You could go to Tatton Park or Dunham Massey which are not far from Quarry Bank.

Quarry Bank is nice, they've replanted the garden. You could go to Tatton Park or Dunham Massey which are not far from Quarry Bank.

It's a long time since I've been there and I was in Moreton House at school. Another one: the U-Boat Experience on the Dock Road in Birkenhead.

Its about the same size as a piece of A2 paper. Its also behind a glass pane which provides amongst other things a corrective tint as the painting is filthy. Nobody, however has the guts to clean it.

Its a mediocre painting made famous by it being stolen, twice, I think.

Plus you usually end up standing in a crowd of your 100 best friends.

Plus you usually end up standing in a crowd of your 100 best friends.

Last time I was there I had no problem viewing it, it was early morning mind. I prefer the Musse D'Orsay which has a nice collection of (Post) Impressionist paintings.

Last time I was there I had no problem viewing it, it was early morning mind. I prefer the Musse D'Orsay which has a nice collection of (Post) Impressionist paintings.

The Orsay is my favorite of the Paris museums. Though I do love the Orangerie as well, I could sit and look at Monet's Water Lilies for hours.

The Orsay is my favorite of the Paris museums. Though I do love the Orangerie as well, I could sit and look at Monet's Water Lilies for hours.

You should take a trip out to Giverny next time you're in Paris. Direct line from St Lazare IIRC

Hoping to get up to Canberra over Christmas as they are having an exhibition of Roman artifacts from the British museum, I've probably see it all before but it's enough of an excuse to get up there. I've also never been to the war museum up there so will check that out.

Love Blue Poles. They had his Number 7 at the moma exhibition here, I was really taken by it for some strange reason. Might have been the striking shape, long and narrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom