The Football/Soccer Thread

Thread starter #1,763

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Why are we being pinned on our end?!?!?! By "mighty" Sweden!

There's actually one bloke with Swedish kit sitting in an English pub. Must be asking for trouble.

Thread starter #1,768

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
I knew that Russian player was going to have a wonder strike. Even if all the Russians around me were stunned.

formby

Ratings
A lot of usually top teams played below expectations/ possibilities. Probably one of the lamest WC so far.
They found the Russians difficult to break down, as they did the Danes.

I think the quality of the footie has been good. Most of the top players play in Europe, this has evened things out somewhat.

Out of the four clubs remaining, Belgium look the best, De Bruyne, Hazard and Lakaku look very dangerous, especially De Bruyne. France aren't firing on all pistons yet, but they're still in the semis which says something. Croatia play nice football and England are improving with every game. They bossed the park against Sweden.

However, semis can be difficult to predict, its all or nothing as nobody remembers semi-finalists and that affects how teams approach them. Semis are more psychologically stressful that finals.

Thread starter #1,775

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Croatia looking pretty strong.

Who do we have in the two semi's? Im going belgium and croatia
It is clear the Belgium/France side went through the stronger opponents of the tournament. None of England's potential and current semifinal opponents ever won.

LelandJ

Chicken Testicle Enthusiast
Ratings
plus Lukaku was invisible.
Wonder how much more France would've dominated in their matches if Benzema replaced goofy-footed Giroud. Can't believe RM might dump him same season as CR7. We'll get to see Bale finally dominate either way.

Disappointed to see Mbappe trying to up Neymar's antics. The sport needs class and intelligence like Iniesta. I think Dembele has potential to surpass Mbappe in the future.

Didn't know Kante was so good at pick offs, curious how he'd do as a forward now.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Ratings
Wonder how much more France would've dominated in their matches if Benzema replaced goofy-footed Giroud. Can't believe RM might dump him same season as CR7. We'll get to see Bale finally dominate either way.

Disappointed to see Mbappe trying to up Neymar's antics. The sport needs class and intelligence like Iniesta. I think Dembele has potential to surpass Mbappe in the future.

Didn't know Kante was so good at pick offs, curious how he'd do as a forward now.
I found that Belgium played with very little diving and crying throughout their run.

Mbappe was a cunt

Last edited:

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
france vs croatia. who ya got?

sticking with croatia for this one. they just seem like they have the 'team of destiny' thing going for them.

formby

Ratings
They should have been 2 up at half time, Croatia came out in the second half, changed their shape and England looked rattled.

England need to learn to put games away.

Congrats to Croatia. A country of 4 mill in the final. Fantastic.

Scherensammler

Ratings
I wonder whether English fans will stop wearing waist coats now. Apparently sales went up, many places were sold out.
Congrats to Croatia. A country of 4 mill in the final. Fantastic.
I don't get why all 4 "nations" in the UK need to have their own teams.
It could be a really good UK team (team GB) if it wasn't for that.

formby

Ratings
I wonder whether English fans will stop wearing waist coats now. Apparently sales went up, many places were sold out.

The problem is the domination of Premier League. England are U17 and U20 World Champions. How many of those players will make it into the top teams?

Thread starter #1,795

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings

Reckon the only net contributor there is Wales.

You could make the same argument about the republics that make up the former Yugoslavia. What a formidable team that would be.

Top Bottom