The Football/Soccer Thread

My local team signed the Swedish striker Ola Toivonen. Along with Honda, that means two players straight from the World Cup into the starting 11. Neither are spring chickens but should do well in our league. Raul Baena from Grananda also allegedly on his way.

I saw Carlos Vela pot two against my hometown club. I didn't know he was 29. Thought he was a good deal younger.

Brentford second after 7 games.
Yes. They played well. Striker Maupay is back after suspension. Good entertaining football.

I had considered going to Man City as away tickets are reasonably priced in Premier League now. However I decided not to because of train strikes.

I saw this last night. Wanker behind me said we ought to stand in awe of that. I was standing because that's what I do at footy games.

Lot of Ibra kits that night. Took an Uber to a bar with a black man who claims Swedish heritage and had to listen to him about it too.

I saw this last night. Wanker behind me said we ought to stand in awe of that. I was standing because that's what I do at footy games.

Lot of Ibra kits that night. Took an Uber to a bar with a black man who claims Swedish heritage and had to listen to him about it too.

No standing at Premier League matches. Stewards might kick you out if you do not comply.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45341192

"Conte remains the most likely option, but the strong negotiating stance the Italian is taking at the moment does not necessarily bode well for his future relationship with Perez or the Real players.

There is a serious concern that Conte will prove to be too much of his own man. Demanding to do things his way or the highway would not go down well with a squad who expect to be treated as respected equals - as they were by Zidane - rather than being strictly disciplined by an authoritarian coach like Conte."

Managers are equals to their players?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46024734

Meanwhile in West London Fulham continue to leak goals at an alarming rate. Brentford manager now at Aston Villa and teams winless streak continues. I am sure there is a succession plan but Bees slipping down the table.

Did anyone see that Tottenham game? NFL lines all over. I thought only pony MLS clubs would agree to play footy on surfaces like that.

Brentford not looking good.

Conte would be a terrible fit at Real.

Local team has lost the first two of the season.

Wayne Rooney: England's record goalscorer set for farewell appearance

"After moving to the United States in July, Rooney scored 12 goals to guide DC United from the bottom of the Major League Soccer table into the play-offs.

But the former Manchester United and Everton forward missed a penalty in a shootout as his side were knocked out in the first round."

An England striker not doing well in penalty situations - what a novelty. What major footballing nation uses an international friendly as a testimonial? Surely someone else on the England side deserved a call up. What does it say to USA? You're playing my retiree.

Ranieri takes over at Fulham. The one Fulham match I went to this season was their only win - Burnley at home.

Ranieri takes over at Fulham. The one Fulham match I went to this season was their only win - Burnley at home.

Which Ranieri will show up? The one who won the Premiership or the one who got sacked.

When I looked at the score Arsenal was down 2-1. I thought they'd get a draw at best. I didn't expect that type of second half response...in a derby no less.

Brentford poor form under new manager continues.

A goal down inside a minute. Three down after 27 minutes. At this point the two regulars next to me left.

A goal clawed back before half time. Poor play at the start of second half but back to 2-3. Then hit woodwork or missed chances.

Club philosophy is that in most cases a change of manager does little to improve a team. New manager was a promotion from within too.

We shall see.

Not looking good for Brentford and Ipswich seem completely stuffed.

Had a good night out on Saturday. Nice when your team comes away with the points against an opposition that plays well.

Anyone watching any of the Boxing Day fixtures?

My television has Liverpool vs Newcastle on right now.

Three o’clock kick offs are not allowed to be shown live in the UK.

Why?

I usually head down to the local pub with my old school mate. Sadly he is on holiday with his girl and the pub down the street from my parents' house closed.

They're all blowouts anyway - United, Spurs, Liverpool and Everton.

When football was first televised the Burnley chairman objected. He thought TV would damage club gate receipts. As a consequence , it was agreed that there would no games on TV at 3pm on Saturday.

When Sky TV threw money at football, it was agreed Saturday matches would be rescheduled to 12:30, 5:30 etc to get around this ban. Hence nearly half of Saturday matches do not kick off at the proper time of 3pm

All my Brit friends bitch we get so many more matches here on TV than they do in the home market.

Arsenal drew. Ozil substituted at the half - really think he is on his way out. Liverpool 6 points on top. Really surprised to see the Spurs overtake City in the table.

Liverpool 5 Arsenal 1.

Spurs lose. So massive points difference at the top of the table. Manchester City collapse over Christmas period.

Fulham win helps move them up but others above them also won.

I didn't expect much different from Liverpool - Arsenal. Liverpool are on the ascendancy.

Pogba not for sale. I like how a new manager comes and he suddenly produces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom