The Football/Soccer Thread

Nil nil at Villa Park in September. Otherwise, on the rare occasions they have met, Villa came out on top.

Bees lost 3 0 at Wolves last night. So unbeaten run ends.

Conte: "When is the game against United? We can meet in a room. To try and explain about these comments. I don't know if he is ready to meet me in a room, just me and him."

"In the past he was a little man in many circumstances, he's a little man in the present and for sure he will be a little man in the future. I consider him a little man and I consider him a man with a very low profile."

And on the 25th of February, the main attraction of the afternoon - Mourinho vs Conte...preceded by the undercard known as United vs Chelsea.

Conte: "When is the game against United? We can meet in a room. To try and explain about these comments. I don't know if he is ready to meet me in a room, just me and him."

"In the past he was a little man in many circumstances, he's a little man in the present and for sure he will be a little man in the future. I consider him a little man and I consider him a man with a very low profile."

And on the 25th of February, the main attraction of the afternoon - Mourinho vs Conte...preceded by the undercard known as United vs Chelsea.
"I don't know," Mourinho said. "I could answer in many different ways but I'm not going to lose my hair to speak about Antonio Conte."

I'll be upset if Valverde doesn't start Iniesta, Busquets, Coutinho, and Paulinho in a 4 4 2 next league match.

FA cup.

Brentford were playing lower level Notts County. Thought Bees would put out a weaker side. They did and they lost.

Went to Fulham v Southampton instead as I thought it would be a better game. Fulham passing was poor, they lacked tempo and were confined to their own half.

Could have gone Spurs v AFC Wimbledon at Wembley. Thought it would be one sided with a weakened Spurs

Fulham snatch a late victory at Boro. (Useless number 16) Norwood won a penalty in 5th minute of injury time. One point off play-off places.

Brentford beat Bolton 2 0. Three points off play-off places.

We're the winners of Sanchez <-> Mkhitariyan. Mkhi is cup tied so he can't play against us tomorrow, and now they're also without Sanchez.

I would wish success upon Arsenal as an institution, but Wenger and Kronke are such douchebags.

Dude, how can you hate on Wenger? Kroenke, yes,he should DIAF, but Wenger? Dude is like the Chicago Cubs of the Prem. The loveable loser.

Dude, how can you hate on Wenger? Kroenke, yes,he should DIAF, but Wenger? Dude is like the Chicago Cubs of the Prem. The loveable loser.

He's not lovable to me. He whines and plays mind games that are transparent and ineffective. Plus he only wears that one tie.

The "game" (how large clubs are funded) has changed. He keeps insisting it should change back (I can argue both sides of that point) instead of adapting for the future.

He's not lovable to me. He whines and plays mind games that are transparent and ineffective. Plus he only wears that one tie.

How does he get such a big knot in that tie? Is it from the 1970s.

In his favour Arsene looks nice and warm in that big sleeping bag he often wears. Pep, in contrast, only seems to own a little black windcheater. He needs to remember he is in cold, rainy Manchester now - not Spain.

Shout out for big Sam for starting to wear a Crombie overcoat. All Sam needs now is to stop chewing gum.

"So Chelsea are going to give Arsenal money for there back up striker. Then they will let Dortmund have there back up striker which will then allow Arsenal to buy Dortmund's top quality striker in Aubameyang. Someone at Chelsea really hasn't thought this one through."

Arsenal showing what it gained from the transfer window in this London derby.

Rochdale v Spurs was an excellent cup game with live coverage on terrestrial TV.

Rochdale well worthy of their draw, having scored the first goal defended resolutely and come back from behind.

It's not surprising that England won't win a championship. The Premier League is full of foreign players that take most of the top spots.
Germany has a similar problem, but seems to do slightly better.

Only ever so slightly. It’s not like they’re the reigning world champions!

The players are getting older, so it's only a matter of time since Arabs suck at football.
But you're right, unlike the English we can tell more than one story about when we won the world cup.

But you're right, unlike the English we can tell more than one story about when we won the world cup.
More than half a century ago. And they have won absolutely nothing ever since. They haven’t even come close. There is no comparison between England and Germany, then and now. Yet another instance of you not having the slightest clue about what you are talking about.

But carry on!

Last edited:
More than half a century ago. And they have won absolutely nothing ever since. They haven’t even come close. There is no comparison between England and Germany, then and now. Yet another instance of you not having the slightest clue about what you are talking about.

But carry on!

I am well aware of the shortcomings of the English team.
Which is why the English bring up that one victory every time some sort of anniversary of that event comes up.
Big event at Wembley in 2016, retelling the victory, including coverage on the BBC all day long.
That's why any England- Germany game is called a classic (with reference to 1966) and the English celebrate any victory over Germany as if it was 1966 all over again (or 1918/ 1945 for that matter).
Very much like the Turks. Or any other nations team. But mostly the Turks.

I am well aware of the shortcomings of the English team.
Which is why the English bring up that one victory every time some sort of anniversary of that event comes up.
Big event at Wembley in 2016, retelling the victory, including coverage on the BBC all day long.
That's why any England- Germany game is called a classic (with reference to 1966) and the English celebrate any victory over Germany as if it was 1966 all over again (or 1918/ 1945 for that matter).
Very much like the Turks. Or any other nations team. But mostly the Turks.
Germany is a powerhouse in footballing terms. What can be possibly wrong with celebrating a victory over them?

This is especially the case for the Turks. The psychosocial dimensions aside (with more than half of the Turkish team being born in Germany and other German speaking nations), with Turkey you are talking about a minor nation with hopelessly outsized ambitions. Of course, they will cherish a rare triumph over the best team in their own “division.”

It looks like Arsenal is on a death spiral. I'm not sure there is much hope they will sneak in as 4th or even amongst the top 6.

In other news my hometown club lost their season opener. Our CONCACAF champions league quarterfinal is on Wednesday and it would have been nice to build some momentum before facing one of the top Mexican clubs.

It looks like Arsenal is on a death spiral. I'm not sure there is much hope they will sneak in as 4th or even amongst the top 6.

In other news my hometown club lost their season opener. Our CONCACAF champions league quarterfinal is on Wednesday and it would have been nice to build some momentum before facing one of the top Mexican clubs.

Wenger out.

Who's your team?

Cool, good year last year.

Given I've supported them in person since season 2 in 2008 when I returned from London, I'd say yes - finally on second try we could vindicate our demons. Money buys everything and I'm glad they are spending properly now.

West Ham face relegation if 'aggressive' atmosphere continues

"It was sometimes going back to the bad old days of 20-25 years ago. I saw some families leaving because the youngsters were frightened."

"It was the most scary moment I've had at a football ground. I'd even go back to those days when Luton and Millwall had that riot back in 1985. If there hadn't been that neutral area between where the directors were sitting in the front row and the 300-400 - that's only an estimate by me - irate fans who were shouting at them, pointing at them and throwing things, I think someone could have been seriously hurt, in addition to that coin which was thrown at David Sullivan.

It was a very ugly and toxic scene. Obviously, the police were not inside the stadium at this point. It was a horrible, frightening scene and in the end, quite rightly, the West Ham staff coaxed people back into the boardroom before the final whistle because everybody was absolutely devastated by what might have happened. I think the ramifications are going to be enormous.

At one point I thought the game would be abandoned, but I think the most important thing is in that at the London Stadium the stewarding needs a serious overhaul."

Not really sure how this was any different than Upton Park.

z.jpg

Few years too late to join the Galaxy. They barely have a supporting cast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom