The Football/Soccer Thread

Which makes the defeat even worse. It's one thing to loose against a top team, but SK is mediocre at best.
Jogi Löw already hinted at a possible retirement as coach.
It's also a big economical hit for the sponsors of the DFB team. And of course all the booze suppliers in Germany.
Germans have no team left to root for now. Russia won't survive the next stage and other German speaking nations or Turkey are not in it.
Maybe the MSM can find a way to blame Putin for the German debacle, like poisoning their shower water. We'll have to watch the Spanish team play against Russia. If they act lethargic as well, something is off.

Funny that was what I called them - lethargic. Also Ozil was rubbish at Arsenal this season. Why the manager continued to have faith in him I have no clue.

From BBC: "Neuer is 32, Sami Khedira is 31 and both Ozil and Marco Reus are 29, meaning this may have been their final match at a World Cup finals."

A keeper needs to retire at 32? I think Neuer can play one or maybe two more World Cups if he's in shape.

Funny that was what I called them - lethargic. Also Ozil was rubbish at Arsenal this season. Why the manager continued to have faith in him I have no clue.

From BBC: "Neuer is 32, Sami Khedira is 31 and both Ozil and Marco Reus are 29, meaning this may have been their final match at a World Cup finals."

A keeper needs to retire at 32? I think Neuer can play one or maybe two more World Cups if he's in shape.
Löw relied heavily on the Bayern Munich players and they have not been that good this season internationally. But most top teams/ players have to play lots of matches in their national and European leagues, so I guess there is a lot of fatigue present.
Still no excuse, though.
Neuer was injured for a long time and didn't get much match practice this season. Götze was rubbish the entire season as well, still German managers tend to have their favourites and they keep them in the national team no matter what. See Özil.
Really, the only good thing now is that there no more distraction from the political in-fights that are going on in Germany right now.

England finally faces a strong side...in an almost meaningless fixture.

Regardless of the players' poor performance, Löw was totally caught out. Was painful to watch.
Funnily, though, most people and celebrities (grade c and below) now put the blame on Özil, although he's not the only one to blame.
I'm sure Löw will try to cling on to his job, if only to not loose his Nivea sponsor. But big corporations don't like losers, so he'll get the boot sooner or later.
In other football related news, an Arab politician blamed the poor performance of Muslim players on the fasting season that fell into the preparation stage this year.

Funnily, though, most people and celebrities (grade c and below) now put the blame on Özil, although he's not the only one to blame.
I'm sure Löw will try to cling on to his job, if only to not loose his Nivea sponsor. But big corporations don't like losers, so he'll get the boot sooner or later.
In other football related news, an Arab politician blamed the poor performance of Muslim players on the fasting season that fell into the preparation stage this year.

They could always move the lunar calendar and via extension Ramadan around the World Cup fixtures.

Löw should walk. The demonising of Ozil is bizarre to observe from afar.

Cavani was outstanding for Uruguay.

Also enjoyed watching Bernardo Silva for Portugal. Exceptional talent.

That Danish keeper is pretty good. Penalties are a crap shoot but he stopped Modric.

Sorry for Japan. They really played well and did not deserve to lose to a last minute goal. Great passing, well organised skilful.

Löw will stay as the head coach of the German team.
Probably cheaper for the DFB than firing him (which they should, since he refuses to retire).

England getting through with more penalty goals...as things stand now.

What in God's name is England waiting for? Penalties? What's the track record on that!?

#*$& yes. Thank you Colombia for using Arsenal's backup keeper.

England win on penalties and get a monkey off their back.

Colombians are another despicable, cheating South American shower.

Japan in contrast clean the dressing room after themselves and the fans clean the terraces. And they play well. Koreans also play in a gentlemanly spirit.

England win on penalties and get a monkey off their back.

Japan in contrast clean the dressing room after themselves and the fans clean the terraces. And they play well. Koreans also play in a gentlemanly spirit.

Japan is a dream. I hope they will refuse all migrants.

I am glad the world got to experience the inconsistent alternately ineffective refereeing of Mark Geiger. I go through it every few weeks when he has to referee a match for my local club in MLS.

I am glad the world got to experience the inconsistent alternately ineffective refereeing of Mark Geiger. I go through it every few weeks when he has to referee a match for my local club in MLS.

he is so awful

This is my first time following WC, didn't realize how stressful would be. Much more violent than Liga too.

In fairness, there have been far worse referees than him. He got swarmed by Columbia but he handed out a fair amount of cards though no reds.

Well, Brazil is out. I saw that last miss from Neymar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom