The Master List of Forum Approved Clothes Makers, Shoe Makers, and Tailors

Apparently used to be good in the olden days, but must have lost good talent since then.
Limited first hand experience, one of their (unhappy) customers came to us wearing a Stewart Christie made outfit.
None of us was very impressed with the work.
He must be pleased with our work, he has re-ordered several times now.

I would have thought Edinburgh would be pretty good on the decent tailoring front? Albeit, you'd probably have to get tartan linings.

Edinburgh is pretty terrible for mens clothing. No decent RTW shop, and few tailors - pretty much just the ones I posted, I think

I would have thought Edinburgh would be pretty good on the decent tailoring front? Albeit, you'd probably have to get tartan linings.

Scotland as a whole is a pretty small market with just about 5 million people. Take away farmers and folk that doesn't have to wear suits (or don't want to wear bespoke) and those who travel to London to have something made and there is not much left.

Customer owns a furniture shop, so he picked upholstery cloth. The colours are nicer in real life.
We are pretty much the only real bespoke tailors in Scotland.

Maximum respect. I didn't know you were a professional. I kind of assumed everyone on internet forums must be a dilettante.

Dear Gentlemen,

Did you ever order any Capelli ties?
I like the fabric/design and they are really cheap compared to Drake’s...but seriously there are a lot of abomination on the website : twisted tie, wrinkled tip, angle of the blade completely off in height or one rounded corner and the other really sharp square.

Are those really sold to customer? I mean if I ever receive something like this it would go back straight away and I would hope not to have nightmare about it.

Should I just stick to Marinella and Drakes?

Fatcat.

Gentlemen this thread is for serious replies only. Keep the snark and the bullshit out of here.

Dear Gentlemen,

I like the fabric/design and they are really cheap compared to Drake’s...but seriously there are a lot of abomination on the website : twisted tie, wrinkled tip, angle of the blade completely off in height or one rounded corner and the other really sharp square.

Are those really sold to customer? I mean if I ever receive something like this it would go back straight away and I would hope not to have nightmare about it.

Fatcat.

You should explore Embassy of Elegance. They're in the same price range as that other Polish (sorry) brand Poszetka. But their ties are far better, and you have the option of customisation (everything from length to lining to width). Their silk might not be quite as butter-soft as Drake's (if you like it that way - many don't), but their handwork is just as good.

Dear Gentlemen,

Fatcat.

Ok. Let's be serious. Crappelli unties are a safe investment... If you manage to avoid their wrinkled tips and failed handrolled blades.

Dear Gentlemen,

Fatcat.

Honestly if these are your concerns you should avoid Cappelli and pretty much any suit made in Naples. None of these so called abominations are so extereme that they detract for me and do not cross the line from artisanal to sloppy or careless. If you are interested in bespoke ties reasonably price and perfectly executed to the point of soullessness look into Sam Hober. Good for some basics and stripes, but his prints pretty much suck balls. Or stick with Marinella, Drake’s, Charvet, Hermes, etc...

Gentlemen this thread is for serious replies only. Keep the snark and the bullshit out of here.

I think FriendCustomer FriendCustomer ’s previous reply was pretty much on point

Ruibinacci ties are the best ties in naples
Hermès ties are the best ties in the world

The only question now- what is better- naples or the world?

Also, people who are annoyed by small imperfections really confuse me

Honestly if these are your concerns you should avoid Cappelli and pretty much any suit made in Naples. None of these so called abominations are so extereme that they detract for me and do not cross the line from artisanal to sloppy or careless. If you are interested in bespoke ties reasonably price and perfectly executed to the point of soullessness look into Sam Hober. Good for some basics and stripes, but his prints pretty much suck balls. Or stick with Marinella, Drake’s, Charvet, Hermes, etc...

Agreed about artisan work and everything but something like this

https://www.patriziocappelli.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Madder-Ties-brown-0.jpg

No sorry.

If the hand of an artisan is needed to make something more beautiful or to make it last longer or whatever to make it better, I am 100% fine with small imperfection. But looking at the picture above I seriously don’t see the point to buy a tie like this.

https://www.patriziocappelli.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Madder-Ties-brown-0.jpg

No sorry.

If the hand of an artisan is needed to make something more beautiful or to make it last longer or whatever to make it better, I am 100% fine with small imperfection. But looking at the picture above I seriously don’t see the point to buy a tie like this.

For STRAIGHT shooters

75B7C224-3662-4D84-8582-A7DBFEDB442D.jpeg

A couple of weeks ago - during fashion week - Hermes had a free exhibition of about 5 of their craft people at work. Saddle maker, bag maker, shoe, jeweller etc. One of them was a Tie Maker. Perhaps the most interesting as you could watch the whole process from cutting the silk to end of a tie. They had translators so you could ask the makers questions - was a great hour spent.

No sorry.

i have never got a Pat tie that looks quite like that. But anything is possible with a small shop such as his. He certainly doesn't seem to have in place the level of quality control found at the big dogs. also I imagine the quality of his web site scans certainly are not his main priority, considering the enormous number of patterns he has up. it is a small fortune to properly photograph and control hundreds of references for a web site. look there is a long history of discussion of his product on the forums for a good number of years, most seem very satisfied, its not like Mbrosi or darren beaman, customer service we are talking about here. but if its gonna stress you why bother? as indicated above there are more consistent products readily available that are not so different in price.

Last edited:
Cappelli is intended only for connosieurs, the shopping experience, either online or in-person requires some effort (you should be able to choose the number of folds and measure of the tie and this requires some knowledge and its impact depending on the chosen tissue)

If you just want a beautiful tie plus a luxury/easy buying experience you should go to E.Marinella, Hermès or Drake's. M.Cilento, Rubinacci, Charvet, Quaranta Locatelli, Boivin, Bigi are less known names that are up there as well. Kiton, Isaia and Attolini make beautiful ties as well but only worth buying when in sale.

A couple of weeks ago - during fashion week - Hermes had a free exhibition of about 5 of their craft people at work. Saddle maker, bag maker, shoe, jeweller etc. One of them was a Tie Maker. Perhaps the most interesting as you could watch the whole process from cutting the silk to end of a tie. They had translators so you could ask the makers questions - was a great hour spent.

You don’t speak French? Quelle surprise!

You don’t speak French? Quelle surprise!
Most of the makers could clearly understand a fair bit of English. I suspect some very well. And a few of us could grasp a fair bit of French - mine is restricted to 2 x years at school. And a lot of Yé-Yé Girls.

With winter almost here l am seriously thinking about purchasing some pairs of highend cashmere tracksuit pants to wear around the house.
http://www.executivestyle.com.au/would-you-pay-1900-for-tracksuit-pants-go3pko

Sunspel cashmere is likely the ticket, but maybe something extra fancy could be on the cards if they can be had at discount. I've been putting off buying cashmere tracksuit pants, but owning a few pairs would be a very worthwhile thing to do for the evenings.

Pity some of the fancy cashmere tracksuit pants are around 3000 bucks.

With winter almost here l am seriously thinking about purchasing some pairs of highend cashmere tracksuit pants to wear around the house.
http://www.executivestyle.com.au/would-you-pay-1900-for-tracksuit-pants-go3pko

Sunspel cashmere is likely the ticket, but maybe something extra fancy could be on the cards if they can be had at discount. I've been putting off buying cashmere tracksuit pants, but owning a few pairs would be a very worthwhile thing to do for the evenings.

Pity some of the fancy cashmere tracksuit pants are around 3000 bucks.

Crazy price, but I am sure there's a market for it.

Who of you trolls sent me on the other place this bs with an user with 0 post? This was also sent to marconarco, fok and all the mods, aristoi, etc. Was you, Conchito?

Hello Y'all
Glad to have stumbled onto this forum

I am going back into my bespoke shirt business shortly after taken a break for a long while, I had a contact in Napoli whom I was visiting and ordering shirts from wholesale but have lost contact since, so I know the place very well

Does anyone on the forum know of any excellent, good or reasonable shirt makers in Napoli who would be able to make bespoke dress and causal shirts for me to my specifications and some of theirs too at reasonable rates and prices as I have a diverse cross section of buyers to satisfy both young and old

Names of manufacturers and makers, including recommendations, Minimum order quantity (MOQ), samples of what they have done 4 you and personal experiences will be greatly appreciated asap as I intend to get on with this as quickly as possible

Also I have question: what are fused and unfused collars???

Look forward to loads of responses now... let the conversations BEGIN!!!

Last edited:
Who of you trolls sent me on the other place this bs with an user with 0 post? This was also sent to marconarco, fok and all the mods, aristoi, etc. Was you, Conchito?

Hello Y'all
Glad to have stumbled onto this forum

I am going back into my bespoke shirt business shortly after taken a break for a long while, I had a contact in Napoli whom I was visiting and ordering shirts from wholesale but have lost contact since, so I know the place very well

Does anyone on the forum know of any excellent, good or reasonable shirt makers in Napoli who would be able to make bespoke dress and causal shirts for me to my specifications and some of theirs too at reasonable rates and prices as I have a diverse cross section of buyers to satisfy both young and old

Names of manufacturers and makers, including recommendations, Minimum order quantity (MOQ), samples of what they have done 4 you and personal experiences will be greatly appreciated asap as I intend to get on with this as quickly as possible

Also I have question: what are fused and unfused collars???

Look forward to loads of responses now... let the conversations BEGIN!!!
i wish it was me!! but unfortunately not

please do deeper research and analice on your new stalker trol and report back

The troll has success warranted if he “has a shirt business” but do not know what means fused or unfussed.

Also he says that knows the place very well, but lost his contact or is asking childish bs.

Troll of the year.

Would any of you recommend him Langa as Neapolitan shitmaker or the famous brand Rubitacky?

Finaless, Borregui, Mariconella, Cessare Attontado?

Last edited:
The troll has success warranted if he “has a shirt business” but do not know what means fused or unfussed.

Also he says that knows the place very well, but lost his contact or is asking childish bs.

Troll of the year.

Would any of you recommend him Langa as Neapolitan shitmaker or the famous brand Rubitacky?

Finaless, Borregui, Mariconella, Cessare Attontado?

How about recommending the gay cop from the village people 👮🏻‍♂️, he works with many clueless operations like Jo Hahahahaha finery co.

The guy answered this, is a true goldmine of trolling:

thank you Sir, but I know there are a few who do what i want, i have just 4gotten where they are, i might just ask the taxi driver contact i have to takes me around when i come over to Napoli

Hey gents

I'm an American in D.C....

I agree with the people upthread though... I like Steven Hitchcock quite a bit... Since he comes round here, I might try him out for suiting...

Also, anyone got any recommendations for bespoke shirts here across the pond? I've considered Budd or T&A.. ?

Hey gents

I'm an American in D.C....

I agree with the people upthread though... I like Steven Hitchcock quite a bit... Since he comes round here, I might try him out for suiting...

Also, anyone got any recommendations for bespoke shirts here across the pond? I've considered Budd or T&A.. ?
Paging doghouse doghouse

One of your people

Most definitely.

yeahokaywhatever yeahokaywhatever , Budd will be here this summer I believe. I personally use H&H. They will be here fall I think? I just caught them in London. Turnbull is very overpriced. I buy some of their stuff that catches my eye, but day in day out its not a great value

Stephen Hitchcock is solid. I'm a Poole customer. One upside with Poole is three visits to DC a year.

Thanks very much. One last thing: any comment on the quality of Budd's shirts? I ask since I assume you were implying that they're good but, well, you know... Just making sure...
I quite like Budd. If I wasn't already a long time H&H guy that's who I would use.

Most definitely.

yeahokaywhatever yeahokaywhatever Turnbull is very overpriced. I buy some of their stuff that catches my eye, but day in day out its not a great value

It is and it isn't. There's nothing quite like a T&A shirt in terms of cut, cloth, colour, pattern and distilling a certain English sensibility of bold eccentricity and shirt as the centre of attention. A real buzz. I've a few average shirts from them, thankfully all from the sales and the buttons could be better, but they're never going to come off. Their pants are ill-fitting Italian made tat though. It all depends what you want from a shirt. I'm English so I'm pretty much a shirt fetishist above ideals of bespoke fitting suits and jackets. And on Jermyn Street there's two Big Daddies: T&A and Foster & Son for shoes, with New & Lingwood as runner up.

Last edited:
Dear Gentlemen,

Fatcat.

Just to answer - seriously - to Fatcat about Capelli, I payed a visit last week to their boutique. I was received gently by Patrizio's woman and we had a very nice conversation with her in french (their son works as a lawyer in Paris). That's being said, I haven't been impressed at all by the quality of their product that I would qualified at best as average. Many twisted blades as Sarto's mentioned many times. Their silk and wool fabrics panel wasn't to my taste. I'm not a big expert in ties affairs but I'd say it's in line with Howards (parisian tiemaker) quality - rustic products with a lack of lightness and thick fabrics. Even my few Crapiola Milano (bought during sales) have a better hand and finish. Nevertheless I found a unlined linen tie which was seducing enough to buy it but it was clearly too expensive for what it is. Sadly I didn't have the time to pay a visit to Marinella.

Just to answer - seriously - to Fatcat about Capelli, I payed a visit last week to their boutique. I was received gently by Patrizio's woman and we had a very nice conversation with her in french (their son works as a lawyer in Paris). That's being said, I haven't been impressed at all by the quality of their product that I would qualified at best as average. Many twisted blades as Sarto's mentioned many times. Their silk and wool fabrics panel wasn't to my taste. I'm not a big expert in ties affairs but I'd say it's in line with Howards (parisian tiemaker) quality - rustic products with a lack of lightness and thick fabrics. Even my few Crapiola Milano (bought during sales) have a better hand and finish. Nevertheless I found a unlined linen tie which was seducing enough to buy it but it was clearly too expensive for what it is. Sadly I didn't have the time to pay a visit to Marinella.

Tell that to the usual dutch shills we suffer also on this forum or the other.

They sold their ( none ) dignity for a pair of defective unties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom