The Movie Preview, Review, & Recommendation Thread pt. II

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Ratings

Caught this on Netflix about a month ago. Def worth a watch.

Basically, 2 buddies go on a weekend hunting trip and some chaos erupts. I don't want to give anything away but the "event" that sets the movie along happened about 10 minutes in.

DON'T look at the preview or you will see what that event is. Just give it a chance!
I was not expecting anything good from it but was pleasantly surprised by it

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Ratings
Just went back over the last month or two of what I've watched.

Watched Land of Mine about the Danes using captured German soldiers to de-Mine the coastline.

Excellent film.

Watched the most recent El Chapo episodes.

Last Chance U new season was decent.

Extinction was a brain holiday. You figure the plot twist out pretty early

I dug Swiss Army Man

The series Magic City. Surprisingly good.

Powered through Bosch. Excellent. (Amazon)

Eye in the Sky

New episodes of Hinterland

Billy Bob is great in Goliath on Amazon

ter1413

Witness Protection Program
Ratings
My recent Netflix views. Nothing new and groundbreaking:

-Gone Baby Gone: I have always liked this film. Casey does a good job and the plot is solid(until the end.)

-Leap Year: Another film that I enjoy when it is on. An early Amy Adams falling in > out > in love in NY/Ireland.

-Ibiza: Wow. This film REALLY tried hard to be Bridesmaid/The Hangover and failed. There were some funny parts. But they took a swing and missed.

-All the Queen's Horses: Highly recommend. A documentary about a small town Illinois comptroller swindling $53 million dollars.

-The Kingdom: Jamie Foxx and his FBI team head to Saudi Arabia to assist in the investigation of a terrorist attack on a US base. Solid flick.

Peak

Supporter
Ratings
Purchased a sealed second season of HBO's Rome for two bucks at a crazy store. It's a Maine chain. Did not see season one. Two questions, is it any good and did you notice I said purchase rather than bought, picked up, etc? Very Mitt Romney. Thank ye in advance for the flood of responses l know will come.

Thread starter #246

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
Purchased a sealed second season of HBO's Rome for two bucks at a crazy store. It's a Maine chain. Did not see season one. Two questions, is it any good and did you notice I said purchase rather than bought, picked up, etc? Very Mitt Romney. Thank ye in advance for the flood of responses l know will come.
Yes its excellent. One of the best shows HBO ever did.

Peak

Supporter
Ratings
That was the flood?

So, you think I should spring full tit and buy, make that purchase, season 1 'fore watching this two-dollar-sealed season 2 from the Maine Crazy Store? And if it's so god damn good as you god damn say it is (they won't let me blasphamize on AAAC so I delight in doing it here), how come they only made two seasons, huh?

Best, Mitt

Thread starter #248

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
That was the flood?

So, you think I should spring full tit and buy, make that purchase, season 1 'fore watching this two-dollar-sealed season 2 from the Maine Crazy Store? And if it's so god damn good as you god damn say it is (they won't let me blasphamize on AAAC so I delight in doing it here), how come they only made two seasons, huh?

Best, Mitt
well, its more bubbling brook than stream, I admit, but I've never had any complaints.

If you can get season 1 for $2 then ABSOLUTELY. To my mind it is definitely in the top 5 best shows they ever did at HBO. It flamed out because the show was so fucking expensive to produce they ended up running out of money.

blaspheme here all you like. there's also a TV thread with more recommendations if you need them:

http://www.dressedwell.net/threads/what-tv-shows-are-you-watching.211/page-61#post-222807

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ratings
Thanks. Romans on HBO? Tell me there are orgies!!
Putting this on my watch list.

I’m just rewatching Serpico now.

Last edited:

ballmouse

Ratings
Don't have Netflix, but I can't wait until the unfinished Orson Welles film is released. Might ask one of my cousins for their logins.

Serpico is nice. Remember liking that film. Interesting 70s fashions on display.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
The Dutch 1977 war film Soldier of Orange with Rutger Hauer and directed by Paul Verhoeven. First time I've seen it, absolutely superb and lots of the outside locations in The Hague, Leiden and Wassenaar are quite familiar to me which added to the interest. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it.

Thread starter #252

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
Just watched Upgrade. This was surprisingly really, really good sci-fi. I was actually impressed for once. Would recommend for those who like the genre.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ratings
Has anyone seen the Christopher Robin film? Wondering if it will hold the attention of a restless five year old.

Thread starter #254

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
the new han solo movie is on the torrents. its really really bad. this alden guy has about as much charisma as a plank of wood.

Scherensammler

Ratings
the new han solo movie is on the torrents. its really really bad. this alden guy has about as much charisma as a plank of wood.
Can't remember which of the many new Star Wars franchise movies it was, but I turned it off after 2 minutes into the movie.
And I haven't bothered with any of them ever since. Old ones had plot holes, too, but the characters were great, no PC/ SJW BS.

Jurassic World 2 is pretty boring. And pretty stupid. Chris Pratt's character outrunning a volcanic eruption and easily taking out trained security personnel?
I guess the purpose of the film was to introduce more dinosaur merchandise. Even though it ended to have another one, I hope this was the last film.

Deadpool 2 isn't bad, but I'd recommend to see the super duper cut. Not so much because of extended action sequences, but because of more background info regarding some characters.
However, I found the first movie to be much more enjoyable as it had a lighter touch to it overall.

Journeyman

Supporter
Ratings
they made a new mary poppins movie. what the fuck?
I saw a brief mention of it and thought precisely the same thing.

A brief search, though, shows that it's a sequel, rather than direct remake, although clearly it will draw on the same themes as the original.

It's worth remembering that there were actually a series of Mary Poppins books, so this movie could possibly be based on one of the other books written by PL Travers. Interesting trivia - PL Travers was born in Queensland, in Australian, in a small town a few hours' drive north of where I live. She only moved to the UK as a young adult, to pursue a career in theatre.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
I watched The Predator. It's astonishing how the sniper goes to his ex wife's house and rustles enough assault rifles and pistols to equip his band of misfits to fight the predator. Never mind there is a scientist woman in tow who seems to have no issues reloading guns and even firing a grenade launcher attachment. At some point the alien ship flies away with the hero on the hull trying to get in leaving the woman behind on a cliff. The ship crashes some not so inconsiderable distance away yet the woman jumps a cliff and comes to rescue the man using the camouflage bauble.

Top Bottom