The Movie Preview, Review, & Recommendation Thread pt. II

This is one of the few movies I keep returning to...

Not sure why that somehow appeals to me.

Last edited:
I watched '71 last night, about a squaddie who gets left behind in a Catholic part of Belfast sometime in 1971. Very good and captures the damp grottiness of the times and intrigue of the special ops manipulating various factions in the IRA and Unionists.

The Railway Man with Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman. Actually some miss casting there as both of them seemed too young to be the age being played in 1980. Also the Nicole Kidman's old fashioned wardrobe didn't work. Despite that an interesting film based on experiences of a POW on the Thai-Burma Railway in WWII.

"Red Sparrow" features Jennifer Lawrence and a guy who kind of play the villain and slightly resembles President Putin.
I don't know why Lawrence agreed to do some nudity (boobs and butt), probably the money or the fact that pictures and videos of her in the nude already exist.
Either way it adds nothing to the film.

It was a victory of English sangfroid and improvisation in a getting a whole army of a beach head. Compare with the fall of Singapore which was an unmitigated disaster. Dunkirk proved that the Brits did not surrender as easilty as the French.

The historical truth is that the success of the operation is largely due to the heroic sacrifice of the French forces and... to Hitler's decision, whose causes are still debated today, to not launch a massive assault on the town.

Watched Black Panther! Don't get all the hype. At best an average action flick.
Makes my think that making this about African-Americans and their struggle against the "MAN" and female warriors was all just a big marketing campaign.
What nobody seems to have noticed is the fact that in the end it's the white dude who saves the day (well, part of it).
And what about the comment that refugees bring their problems with them when you let them into your country?

Watched Black Panther! Don't get all the hype. At best an average action flick.
Makes my think that making this about African-Americans and their struggle against the "MAN" and female warriors was all just a big marketing campaign.
What nobody seems to have noticed is the fact that in the end it's the white dude who saves the day (well, part of it).
And what about the comment that refugees bring their problems with them when you let them into your country?
google killmonger was right

google killmonger was right

Yeah, send high tech weapons to some black revolutionaries to overthrow their oppressors because you had a tough time as a child.
That kind of limits it to 2, maybe 3 countries in the West (US, UK and perhaps France) since most of Africa is now in the hands of black "leaders" who do their very best to stay in power.

Big money game indeed. Always rewarding to talk to the weaknesses of those naive Afro-Americans and to black Europeans who are largely americanized and live in a fantasm of a global black identity. Damned their "pride" culture is so poor that's it's too easy to trick them and selling them superheroic shit. From a pure entertainment point of view, it's certainly one of the worst and weakest Marvel. I'm really wondering what Martin Freeman was doing in this crap. Big fee certainly.

Watched Legend on Netflix about the Krays. The best movie I've seen on them and with Brian Helgeland at the helm no wonder. Casting, script and mise en scene all evocative of that era of London. Shabby and glamorous at the same time.

I just skipped over chunks of Game Night. I reckon my IQ dropped whilst watching it. How does Hollywood keep making drivel like this?

Son of Rambow, a decent enough English comedy set in the early 80s and does a good job of referencing the emerging video culture of the time and the wardrobe and style of the girls hair was spot on.

Red Dog, an Australian film that's a few years old now, a true story, but filmed as a comedy in an art house style. I expected the worse as the DVD had a picture of a young couple all romantic and the dog in the background, but I was very surprised at how good it was.

Also enjoyed the Churchill picture apart from the mandatory diversity and the Tube train encounters.

I was greatly dissatisfied with Darkest Hour, we once again had Churchill somewhat of a bumbling character and lots of historical innacuracies. I didn't see it as Brexit propaganda either. The tube train encounter was so bad with the mugging Marcus chap and in the blurred background an Asian lady with a hair covered up. My family thought it was brilliant.

Red Dog, an Australian film that's a few years old now, a true story, but filmed as a comedy in an art house style. I expected the worse as the DVD had a picture of a young couple all romantic and the dog in the background, but I was very surprised at how good it was.

It is a good film, but you are right about the promotion.

Watched that awful musical The Greatest Showman last night, a definitive waste of the musical film form. Weak songs and weak story, when you compare to something like the Moulin Rouge you realise how great that film was.

I'm watching Crooked House. Stefanie Martini looks ravishing.

Im trying to watch Ready player One. Its so so bad. Painfully bad. And the CGI is dogshit. What happened to Spielberg?

watched Rampage with The Rock. I gotta admit, the man knows how to make an enjoyably terrible movie. its fucking ridiculous beyond words but at least it was entertaining.

watched Rampage with The Rock. I gotta admit, the man knows how to make an enjoyably terrible movie. its fucking ridiculous beyond words but at least it was entertaining.

Given it was made on the premise of a videogame that a 3 year old could understand and play, were you surprised?

Im trying to watch Ready player One. Its so so bad. Painfully bad. And the CGI is dogshit. What happened to Spielberg?

I believe he went the way of other 1980s and 1990s Hollywood people - Tom Hanks, Michelle Pfieffer, Michael Keaton, Sandra Bullock, Arnold, Nicolas Cage, Hugh Grant.

Anything for a pay cheque.

I'm watching Salma Hayek in Beatriz at Dinner. Is that what she looks like without make up or she intentionally did make up to look plain?

I'm watching Dania Ramirez in Off the Menu. She's a lot hotter, but then she's Dominican and she's 38 and Salma Hayek is 51.

Since I went to that sushi making course someone in my life keeps wanting to make sushi or cook anything with me.

It's not the best movie ever made, but it's also not the worst.
The CGI is actually quite good if you watch it in decent video quality.

Pretty much a mix of King Kong (Peter Jackson version) and San Andreas and every movie where a military guy is about to level a place.
Still, quite enjoyable.

apparently they remade Overboard. I have no idea why anyone in hollywood thinks we're interested in seeing these 80's movies again with less interesting cast.

How does Tom Cruise continuously look the same as he did in the original 1990s Mission Impossible?

Watched Wonder Wheel the newish Woody Allen film. Not that great, but not bad either. Kate Winslet is not ageing well, but she is a good actress.

I watched Beirut two weeks ago. I watched it mostly because of Jon Hamm but the story actually turned out to be pretty interesting. It could have used a few more Lebanese women besides the Nadia character. Maybe that's where I should go for my next trip.

Calibre_poster.jpg

Caught this on Netflix about a month ago. Def worth a watch.

Basically, 2 buddies go on a weekend hunting trip and some chaos erupts. I don't want to give anything away but the "event" that sets the movie along happened about 10 minutes in.

DON'T look at the preview or you will see what that event is. Just give it a chance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom