The Wonderful World of Oz

1537866230341.jpeg

This has me feeling all warm and tingly patriotic: “Our forefathers regularly got drunk together and through their frequent interactions unknowingly added an alcoholic slur to our national speech patterns. For the past two centuries, from generation to generation, drunken Aussie-speak continues to be taught by sober parents to their children.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/opinion/australian-accents-the-good-place.html

Depends which ones - snakes are very common - not so much in the city where they are frightened of people. Funnel Webs not much - at least in Melbourne. Redbacks are around a fair bit. Kangaroos on almost any relatively outer suburban gold course. Koalas only in certain spots in the country due to them being fussy about what they eat. Sharks are common enough.

'stralya? - yer standin' in it
View attachment 31119

Yep, a trip to school could wreck your life forever! At my school there were tiger snakes regularly seen, and when we sat in the courtyard eating lunch there would be red back spiders under the seat 1 inch away from us. Bites from any of those things can cause a very painful death, and sometimes death was only a hairs breath away. One day a tiger snake was standing erect just feet away from us as teachers got a high jump pole and baseball bat to kill it.

Talking about serpents...here is a family members house with a python in it. Many animals were disappearing and it was discovered that they were being swallowed hole by this thing. This is in north Queensland:
Python 1.jpg
Python 2.jpg

Depends which ones - snakes are very common - not so much in the city where they are frightened of people. Funnel Webs not much - at least in Melbourne. Redbacks are around a fair bit. Kangaroos on almost any relatively outer suburban gold course. Koalas only in certain spots in the country due to them being fussy about what they eat. Sharks are common enough.

Yeah, koalas are everywhere on the property of our family holiday house.
Kennet River 5.jpg

As for great white sharks....I nearly got eaten by one of those once. It went for me and was about 12 foot. I weren't scared because it happened so fast. I just stood still and it rubbed past me and swam away. A week later on the exact same bit a beach a man was eaten alive by possibly the same great white.

Sometimes l see snakes on my walks, the really bad snakes that kill ya. When l see them l just give `em a pile of cheek. :vomithate:

It’s pretty simple. There’s a dress code for parliament workers etc. Includes jacket for men and women.

I didn't know you Australians were so prim and proper.

The 15 hottest places in the world yesterday. Most of these places are airports where they keep good stats. It may well have been even hotter in unmonitored parts of Australia.
1547716752804.png

Australia swelters through record-breaking heatwave

"Dozens of bushfires were burning across Victoria, Tasmania and New South Wales on Thursday in conditions exacerbated by the heat and drought.

There were also reports of mass deaths in native bat colonies in New South Wales, and fruit orchards spoiling under the sun."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom