Things that clothing forums used to discuss

Kingstonian

1. Edge dressing. A dye that was apparently applied to the side of shoe soles by some Americans. Unheard of in the UK where people just use polish.

2. Steamers. Hand held device to takes the creases out of clothes. Ran parallel with the great dry cleaning panic of yesteryear.

3. Fabric flowers. Used as a buttonhole instead of a real flower. Popular with a New York teacher who was prominent on clothing forums.

4. Specially commissioned heavyweight cloths. These apparently hang better and make the wearer look like Fred Astaire. 17oz minimum weight.

5. Clothing forum high rollers. Spent a fortune on clothes and owned numerous items. All have now disappeared and in their place we have Simon Crompton.

6. Overshoes. What used to be known as galoshes in the UK have disappeared but in the US there were more than one brand of these things. Used to get from the car park to your office while protecting dress shoes. Not sure what benefit they have over spare shoes.

7. Fancy umbrellas. Transform yourself into John Steed. Whangee handle preferred.

If you dare enter the Allen Edmonds mega thread on SF you'll find it full of edgy dressing galoshers.

4. Specially commissioned heavyweight cloths. These apparently hang better and make the wearer look like Fred Astaire. 17oz minimum weight.

5. Clothing forum high rollers. Spent a fortune on clothes and owned numerous items. All have now disappeared and in their place we have Simon Crompton.

These two in particular make me wistful. I guess the London Lounge is still the bastion of 147oz. twill, but the second point on high rollers I just chalk up to the times. It's more chic to be understated these days with the economic climate being what it is, even if you are still actually spending the same amount of money.

1. Edge dressing. A dye that was apparently applied to the side of shoe soles by some Americans. Unheard of in the UK where people just use polish.

2. Steamers. Hand held device to takes the creases out of clothes. Ran parallel with the great dry cleaning panic of yesteryear.

3. Fabric flowers. Used as a buttonhole instead of a real flower. Popular with a New York teacher who was prominent on clothing forums.

6. Overshoes. What used to be known as galoshes in the UK have disappeared but in the US there were more than one brand of these things. Used to get from the car park to your office while protecting dress shoes. Not sure what benefit they have over spare shoes.

7. Fancy umbrellas. Transform yourself into John Steed. Whangee handle preferred.

I like galoshes
Using them every day in grim mother rasha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom