Things You Just Don't Get

Discussion in 'Life, Universe, And Everything Else' started by Rambo, May 2, 2013.

1. Scherensammler

Scherensammler Well-Known Member

This is a men's clothing forum?

2. formby

formby Well-Known Member

What makes you think they are unhappy / insecure...?

3. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Because you have to dress and impersonate another person.

4. formby

formby Well-Known Member

Even if they are dressing up and impersonating a fictional person, who everyone knows is fictional?

5. fxh

fxh OG Party Suit Wearer
    Supporter

Erving Goffman

viaattovannucci likes this.
  6. viaattovannucci

viaattovannucci No Custom Title

Nice! "The self is a dramatic effect arising diffusely from a scene that is presented."

F9D22E2C-D586-478C-B310-2B5E8084655D-847-0000003DDE2489F9.gif

7. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Monochromatic Clothing Troll
    Supporter

So everyone who dresses up for a Halloween party is insecure? Fwiffers logic...

8. Thruth

Thruth thicker but more pliant than horsehide

Fwiffs should know more about CosPlay, he is young enough to be aware of it and if not, his harem of lady friends range from 18 to 60, surely they have run across it.

He wears suits to Canadian footie matches

He clearly doesn't read DW to much degree as we had some top top discussion and examples of cosplay. The late great LKP and ConchitaWurstConchitaWurst posted many top top Russian and Asian pics which I believe is where we coined the CosPlay™ that Menswear forumites, sodimites & rectumites dabble in.

I just googled Russian CosPlay & Dressedwell.net and it returned these pics

IMG_9185.PNG IMG_9186.PNG IMG_9187.PNG IMG_9188.PNG

9. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

I haven't dressed for Halloween since what age 10 or 11. I still see no point to it. Every year when the financial district bars advertise for Halloween costume party nights it baffles me.

If kickoff is at 1900, and I'm going from work at 1700, yes I'm in a suit and tie. I don't even own any of the team's kit and most times I don't have a seat as I stand behind the supporters' standing section. I never had an issue other than beer splattering on to me.

And I always wear a jacket - where else will I put my two mobile phones, lighter, cigarettes, sunglasses and keys?

10. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

This guy I met on a course connected to me on LinkedIn just shared a post of himself.

On LinkedIn there's a mugshot of him, sharing a post with the same mugshot of him. Who does that? Does he retweet his own tweets or like his own Instagram posts?

11. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

12. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Videos that spontaneously start playing even if you didn't hover or click on them. Why?! I'm just checking the scores. I don't want to waste bandwidth loading some webcast quality TV show or clips that have no relation to what I want from the website in the first place.

13. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Due to some inadequate temperature control in our autumn heat wave, I slept 90 minutes and then was up the rest of the night before slumbering to another 90 minutes at 4am. How do the parents live on this kind of sleep?

I got up in the morning and started having motor skill issues as if I was drunk. I did some of my morning routine out of sequence. I pressed up instead of down in the lift. When I showed up in my flat, I pressed 16, which is my office, instead of 3, my home. All I could think of when I was knackered was having a nap - not cooking dinner. I think I've convinced myself I am unsuitable to be a parent.

14. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Dog ugly people who take selfies

15. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

People taking selfies of themselves boarding commuter rail.

16. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Women having their mobile phones sticking out of their back pocket.

17. Dropbear

Dropbear Member in Good Standing

Legitimate excuse! ‘No ma’am, I was looking at your phone to see which model you have’.

viaattovannucci likes this.
  18. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Just passed by some bloke who is vacuuming the exterior of his car in the open driveway with a shop vac in light rain.

19. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

There are uncontrollable Black Friday shopping crowds in Cape Town and Sao Paulo. Did the pilgrims make a wrong turn and end up on a whole different continent?

20. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

This unusually tall man is downstairs in our office lobby is looking at his mobile and serenading everyone with his operatic voice.

I'm quite sure he's not a hired performer.

21. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

White men who have shaggy hair, are chubby and decide to not shave. They look like ewoks from Star Wars. Why do they do that? Are there certain types of women attracted to that look? They also seem to have issues with their belts and pulling their trousers up.

22. fxh

fxh OG Party Suit Wearer
    Supporter

Girls going to work in torn cut off denim shorts with bum cheeks hanging out. Who stands in front of the mirror in the morning and says to themselves :: “ I think 2.5 cm of bum cheek is not enough showing I will go to 3cm - 4cm hanging out”

23. formby

formby Well-Known Member

^
    ...and then said woman complaining about being 'objectified'.

24. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

This Chinese undergrad student at yesterday's dinner spent time to cut up her entire veal and all the vegetables in her main before she started eating. Of course, she couldn't finish the veal so I was left wondering - why bother cutting it up? Also - which country's dining etiquette is that to cut everything up and then put down your knife and eat with just your fork in your right hand.

Even more astonishing, the gent sitting in front of me is 83 and she asks at the dinner table, "Were you fighting in World War 2?"

Uhm...do the math. World War 2 vets are in their late 90s or 100s now.

25. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith Well-Known Member

To be fair when I was in Normandy a couple of weeks back the hotel was filled with Americans doing D-Day tours and for a moment I thought that some of them might be veterans of operation Overload. Then it dawned on me that these old timers were infact baby boomers the sons of the greatest generation.

26. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

My work mates are obsessed with their Uber rating - as riders, not drivers. They said they want to maintain a 4.7 or 4.8 out of 5.0 so they get better service. Why? I am paying money for a service - do I give a toss how you rate me? How I rate you as the service provider matters more.

Then of course, a lot my rides are sending women home so I'm not even on the trip so my rating is skewed that way.

27. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Wearing heavy duty snow boots in an indoor office environment. What happened to changing your shoes?

We don't exactly work on a sheet of ice in Antarctica here.

28. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Personal annual goals in January

Every year I keep getting asked what goals I have for myself. These could be along the lines of getting a promotion, getting married, having kids, travelling to Japan, driving an ATV in the Sahara desert, climbing the Himalayas, doing yoga in some temple in Asia, learning how to fly fish, volunteering to save endangered parrots – it’s meant to be something you do and you add it to your curriculum vitae.

Every year I don’t know how to answer because I have family, work, a small business and golfing. They remain pretty constant and every year there is a different focus for each of them. Renovations of the family home. Special assignment at work. The small business I’m just doing the same thing year after year to keep it going administratively. Maybe I’ll practise driving one year and focus on irons the next or that dreaded putting that I never put enough time into. But all in all, I have the same ‘goals’ every year.

Examples from people around me: Billiards. Culinary arts degree. Archery. Canoe. Travelling to Antarctica to see penguins. Snowboarding. Tennis. Volunteering to build houses in Kenya. Squash. Snowshoeing. Tea sommelier. They get lessons or they go learn something but then after a year or so when they’ve checked off they’re done, they leave behind a slew of unused equipment, and at best a track record of basic competency, and at worse ‘I did it’. Then they move on. Sometimes it is shared with friends – social media, in person, something you can talk about in a party or dinner to someone. What is the point of that? What’s the point of investing the bare minimum effort to try something when you never really had the heart to master it?

Which brings me to my second point. I wanted to see a show again this year with a certain someone but she says we’ve seen it so it’s not necessary to ever see it again. I find I’m on the opposite of end of that spectrum. Every few years, I enjoy watching The Godfather again. I pick up something new with every viewing. I enjoy listening to Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6 live when it’s on the schedule of the local orchestra because I can pay attention to different soloists and different parts of the symphony. I read Great Expectations or Pride and Prejudice every few years because my life has matured to a certain stage where I interpret and get different things from the text.

Perhaps what I said in the chat is the best analogy for it. I don’t want to go through life as if I’m on a cruise ship stopping by at every port just to say I’ve done it and then move on without any deep understanding of the local people, culture, customs and land. You can't say you've seen southern Europe by hopping off in the morning and returning for dinner on the cruise ship. Quality over quantity. Depth and meaningful achievements over hollow and vapid milestones.

There’s that book that my division head talked about at an all hands meeting – Outliers, that you need 10,000 hours of practice to master something to the best of your own abilities. A 40 hour work week each year with two weeks vacation is 2000 hours. 5 years. I started golf late at age 13, and I was still changing something as basic as my grip up until two seasons ago.

rdiaz likes this.
  29. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith Well-Known Member

Anyone who still listens to Bruce Springsteen.

30. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Why do recruiters take a job opening text with zero spelling mistakes and then proceeds to put spelling mistakes in there? I'm not talking industry jargon or acronyms but something as simple as initiative.

31. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

People walking parking lots for exercise in suburban corporate campuses.

32. fxh

fxh OG Party Suit Wearer
    Supporter

They don’t have spellcheckers in word processing programs over there?

33. Fwiffo

Fwiffo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

The better question is why after copying and pasting from the original job description the recruiter wanted to change it to make it incorrect.