WDYBT: What Did You Buy Today

Since Ali started there l tried to only go their on weekends so l could avoid him.

You probably weren't the only one - he was so obnoxious that people started to actively shop elsewhere, rather than risk going in to Henry Bucks and having to deal with Ali.

There's a similar store in Brisbane that used to have a really irritating, unctuous manager. I stopped going there because I found him to be so off-putting.

You probably weren't the only one - he was so obnoxious that people started to actively shop elsewhere, rather than risk going in to Henry Bucks and having to deal with Ali.

There's a similar store in Brisbane that used to have a really irritating, unctuous manager. I stopped going there because I found him to be so off-putting.

Yes, his ways weren't suitable for Henry Bucks. The typical customer doesn't want to be fawned over and upsold all the time. The flagship store is pretty low key with no pressure, and l like to plan a purchase and spend according to a budget. If l plan to spend $500 l don't want to walk out having spent $2,000. I think the average customer at H.B probably thinks this way, he has a limit on what he is prepared to spend, this is the real world. Ali's clothing style didn't suit the shop and heritage of the place either. After Ali arrived there l noticed other salesman started upselling too. It probably works for some places, but not somewhere like HB.

I got a compliment from various staff about my custom aran jumper, but the way the old sales guys did it was just right...it was natural. I met a new guy as l was walking in, and instantly l didn't want to be around him. He was too false and off-the-plant. The old HB salesman are kept on because they know how to deal with customers and make them feel at ease. It's important to act like a human being and not be an alien.

He's been hawking himself around.

In other news Sebastian from AT jetted off to Pitti Firenze today.

One from last year:

k26KCyL.jpg

brooks brothers sale thing is going on...i got baked and spent four hours looking at ties only to end up with these.

MA02554_RED-NAVY

MA02634_BROWN

"hey spencer, do you like the ties you just bought?"

HfKFcdn.gif

Cary grant
So masculine
Look at this picture
Aged 13
All dressed up
Wowowowow

That was doing the round in our Florence office last year. They sent it to me as the only person outside of Firenze who knew what they were on about when they said they were going to watch the freak from Homo Pitti during lunch break.

Eurex by Brax dark bone luxury cords (made-in-Germany).

Bought the last pair in my size at Henry Bucks. I am really delighted because:

- the fit is the best l have ever had with cords
- good cords are hard to find in Oz
- good fitting cords are as rare as hen's teeth.

I feel very lucky, but we still get ripped off because cords from Cordings are under $200.00 where-as H.B cords are $350.00. What else can l do, no choice but to pay it.

That bloke at Bonaparte's in Lygon street has a lot of German stuff and sports coats and trousers that others don't have

Quite like the look of this New & Lingwood Julius jacket, in a silk and linen blend, it will likely look a lot better on me, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet:

N_L_SHOT_01_094.jpg

Got my first pair of linen pants from BB in Regent fit for the current and upcoming summer heat.

Got my first pair of linen pants from BB in Regent fit for the current and upcoming summer heat.

I got a pair of M&S one's a few years ago, surprisingly for the modern incarnation of M&S they are an excellent high rise fit and yet with most things linen except shirts, never ever wear the damn things.

In preparation for the big European tour of duration 7 weeks - cabin bags only - I lashed out and got::
1 x pair of Uniqlo Wind proof chinos @ $29, http://www.uniqlo.com/au/store/men-...-flat-front-pants-4004830017.html#colorSelect
1 x Uniqlo wine check fleece shirt @$29,
1 x Heat Tech turtle neck undershirt @$19 http://www.uniqlo.com/au/store/men-...shirt-long-sleeve-4002280021.html#colorSelect
1 x Military type Navy jacket Cotton washable - 4 flap pockets on front@ $59 or so
20180520021226456_500.jpg

Ordered online - delivered - from Sydney in 2 days - free post over $50. I took a few things back to store for return and to get chinos hemmed for free. Its all good. Chinos are ok - got some coating on outside to keep out wind and a bit furry on inside, medium rise and look OK . Jacket is just what I want smart ish casual, washable, not too heavy for warmer weather, button down flap pockets for traveling. The collar folds down well to create lapels that come down to the third button down - and look much like an ordinary cotton sport coat - if an ordinary cotton sport coat had 4 flap button down pockets! Fits under my rain jacket/hoodie well as a layer.

I had to wipe a tear from my eye with the turtle neck - took me back to the Good Old Days of skivvys - so much so I've ordered another one.
may refer to: Undergarments, (primarily in the United States) Polo neck or turtle neck shirt, (primarily in the United States and Australasia) Maid, servant, or person at the bottom of the social order (primarily in Britain)
s-l1000.jpg

Last edited:
In preparation for the big European tour of duration 7 weeks - cabin bags only - I lashed out and got::
1 x pair of Uniqlo Wind proof chinos @ $29, http://www.uniqlo.com/au/store/men-...-flat-front-pants-4004830017.html#colorSelect
1 x Uniqlo wine check fleece shirt @$29,
1 x Heat Tech turtle neck undershirt @$19 http://www.uniqlo.com/au/store/men-...shirt-long-sleeve-4002280021.html#colorSelect
1 x Military type Navy jacket Cotton washable - 4 flap pockets on front@ $59 or so
20180520021226456_500.jpg

Ordered online - delivered - from Sydney in 2 days - free post over $50. I took a few things back to store for return and to get chinos hemmed for free. Its all good. Chinos are ok - got some coating on outside to keep out wind and a bit furry on inside, medium rise and look OK . Jacket is just what I want smart ish casual, washable, not too heavy for warmer weather, button down flap pockets for traveling. The collar folds down well to create lapels that come down to the third button down - and look much like an ordinary cotton sport coat - if an ordinary cotton sport coat had 4 flap button down pockets! Fits under my rain jacket/hoodie well as a layer.

I had to wipe a tear from my eye with the turtle neck - took me back to the Good Old Days of skivvys - so much so I've ordered another one.
s-l1000.jpg

TLDR

9C4D3FC2-76E5-4AA5-8A9B-7CFE99317993.jpeg

Last edited:
Eurex by Brax dark bone luxury cords (made-in-Germany).

Bought the last pair in my size at Henry Bucks. I am really delighted because:

- the fit is the best l have ever had with cords
- good cords are hard to find in Oz
- good fitting cords are as rare as hen's teeth.

I feel very lucky, but we still get ripped off because cords from Cordings are under $200.00 where-as H.B cords are $350.00. What else can l do, no choice but to pay it.

After wearing the Eurex by Brax luxury cords for a while l will say that they are totally superb!!! Nothing better imo. Noticeably better than the Hiltl cords l have.

What am l wearing today? Old faded cords that are over 15 years old. Hardly any cord in places. Not going anywhere today.

Shooey, have you ever had a look in that small shop in Lygon Street, Bonaparte s I think it’s called. He has lots of good sport coats and trousers. Mostly from Germany. I’m sure I’ve seen Brax there.

After wearing the Eurex by Brax luxury cords for a while l will say that they are totally superb!!! Nothing better imo. Noticeably better than the Hiltl cords l have.

What am l wearing today? Old faded cords that are over 15 years old. Hardly any cord in places. Not going anywhere today.

Hiltl are top notch on the chino front too: traditional high waisted without being too baggy.

Shooey, have you ever had a look in that small shop in Lygon Street, Bonaparte s I think it’s called. He has lots of good sport coats and trousers. Mostly from Germany. I’m sure I’ve seen Brax there.

Never dismiss the German brands (excluding Hugo Boss of course), the likes of Eduard Dressler, have excellent RTW sport jackets although you're certainly not getting a bargain. Euros 500-600 in these parts.

Yeah, thanks for the reminder. l have been meaning to go there. I went past that way the other day but forgot.

Enemy at the Gates (actually not really as that jacket was not a Swedish m1909).

Matts Larsson M1909 circa 1944. Next you will see Leitmotif hanging from the train signal.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom