WDYBT: What Did You Buy Today

How many winter jackets do you own, Thruth Thruth ???

Probably as many winter jackets as you have guns! But less than the number of pairs of boots I own.

I think 5 or 6 overcoats, 5 full on parkas, about 10 mid-layer down, wool or synthetic insulated, 5 or so shells (softshell, ventile, waterproof/breathable).

Then there are Fall and spring jackets and coats.....

I just can’t imagine living in a climate where I’d need more than two or three jackets.

I just can’t imagine living in a climate where I’d need more than two or three jackets.

I don't NEED all of them. Like anything else it is a matter or want vs need. But between the two places I live and the other places I work I need a mix. There is also dress, casual and outside work considerations.

I have to cover a range between -40 C and 40 C

Ciano Farmer 15pz Okayama jeans on markdown. I ordered the Miner fit for the higher waist - something I wanted for: a) raising the pistol higher under an untucked shirt for better concealment and b) should look better for shirt tucked and casual sportscoat. Its a seriously high waist though. I might have just bought my first pair of DadJeans!
giphy.gif

S&M 20% off everything already on sale. $110 shipped for VBC mid-grey flannels and medium blue heather trousers.
27093E7D-FD0E-4B3E-B08B-8C0F5BF16F34.jpeg
245C3AC1-B16A-4EC0-A4C7-C5C5CF1CADA1.jpeg

Bugger. I didn’t see the white linin popover on the sale page when I ordered.

Last edited:
For Dropbear Dropbear , more jackets!
IMG_2044.JPG

Fjallraven Down Shirt No. 1 & Sormland Down Shirt Jacket to replace ultralite & fragile down layers.

The waxed G1000 poly cotton fabric sheds water nicely and is more robust than Barbour waxed cotton. No Barbouresque waxed odor, not that I am bothered by the smell of some waxed jackets.

Sormland. Nice hunting type jacket. Excellent pockets including shell holders in lower pockets.

Fjallraven gear is not cheap but it is well made even though it is made in China.

IMG_2048.JPG

Down shirt No. 1

IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_2045.JPG

thruth - whats the good oil on those heated jackets that you plug into a battery?

thruth - whats the good oil on those heated jackets that you plug into a battery?

Still a niche market. I know bikers and snowmobilers who use some heated products - gloves, mitts, helmets, fewer jackets but this is because you can plug it into the machine. Higher voltage, Angus.

I saw a stand-alone 18 volt lithium battery rig jacket the other day at Cabelas plus a battery powered base layer.more like a flak jacket.

Once the temp drops below freezing, lithium batteries lose effectiveness. 50% drop off in battery life at room temp versus 0 C. Same way my IPhone battery sucks down in minutes.

Problem is these jackets are fugly, not constructed well and lack any practical and technical design.

Basically a windbreaker or fall jacket with a battery and a heating element.

Back in the day there were butane pocket warmers which no one really used. Zippo still makes them.

I don't put too much stock in heated garments for cold weather because if they fail, you are left with a jacket that is useless on its own.

I'd rather regulate temp with layers and venting that with something I have to worry about plugging in before I wear it.

Still a niche market. I know bikers and snowmobilers who use some heated products - gloves, mitts, helmets, fewer jackets but this is because you can plug it into the machine. Higher voltage, Angus.

I saw a stand-alone 18 volt lithium battery rig jacket the other day at Cabelas plus a battery powered base layer.more like a flak jacket.

Once the temp drops below freezing, lithium batteries lose effectiveness. 50% drop off in battery life at room temp versus 0 C. Same way my IPhone battery sucks down in minutes.

Problem is these jackets are fugly, not constructed well and lack any practical and technical design.

Basically a windbreaker or fall jacket with a battery and a heating element.

Back in the day there were butane pocket warmers which no one really used. Zippo still makes them.

I don't put too much stock in heated garments for cold weather because if they fail, you are left with a jacket that is useless on its own.

I'd rather regulate temp with layers and venting that with something I have to worry about plugging in before I wear it.

After my flying B17's over occupied Europe missions were over, I gave up those plug-in electrical coats.

not clothes, but a few weeks ago ordered a custom bass strap from brookwood leather...cut-to-length, double-thick pad of english bridle leather...this thing is awesome.

giphy.gif

strap.jpg

strap2 (2).jpg

I must say that bloke on SF = foxtooth impresses with music and style.

that first song on his site was pretty sweet! he's got an awesome voice and i love his guitar tone.

Yeah yeah OK - but cant you pay the bloody thing

did you mean can i play it? ive been playing bass for less than two years but went to school for jazz and classical guitar performance. here's a short vid of my band (no keyboard/violin player tho...she was out of town and really adds a lot...im also in a trio with the mandolin player and her for smaller venues). im playing my old bass here.

here's me playing some bach.

here's me playing the new bass on a shitty version of city of new orleans.

here's an ending of some bass solo i was writing for an original, that i recorded on my lunch break.

My Heritage.

Did you turn out to be what you thought you were?

Yes. Matched what I expected without any great surprises. I may be at lower risk of Alzheimer’s than I believed, but I’m related to King Louis XV. Yay.

64B5EDEE-B470-4C34-9F54-E91EE7344771.png

Channeling my biker steez. Wallet rein from Nick at Hollows Leather. The middle brown with burnt orange thread.

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 10.27.56 PM.png

Similar to this
Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 10.35.07 PM.png

Hadn't bought anything for months, but was very busy this week:

-- grey Belvest suit, brand new. Beautiful cut and conservative grey cloth. Perfect for business. It fits like a glove off the rack. I'm very happy.

-- olive-colored subtle window pane Kiton (main line) sport jacket. 100% cashmere; got it for just $92 in very good condition. It needs some alterations and is at the tailor, but should be beautiful when he has finished with it.

-- blue/aqua-colored vintage Ballantyne cashmere sweater. Can't wait until winter to wear it!

-- lightly used Lulu Lemon puffer jacket. Watch out, yoga girls!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom