Featured What Are You Wearing Today?

Discussion in 'Men's Clothing' started by Chorn, Apr 9, 2013.

1. fxh

fxh OG Party Suit Wearer Supporter

You stealing hats from Tibor? how many hats in that stack?

2. TOGLIATTI

TOGLIATTI Well-Known Member

WOW that watch bracelet
    Very pale skin, work on it
    Elite hat stack
    Smoking a TOSCANO?

3. fxh

I have been giving away my proper tweed jackets. To be honest they aren't that practical for a modern style life. Harris Tweed, of which I still have a few, is very coarse and a bit heavy. I have a nice enough old Donegal but its so hot to wear I haven't worn it for a year. They really are basically substitutes for overcoats or parkas and aren't as easy to wear as either. They really are a bit too coarse for office/indoor work and with modern heating in cars, trams, trains and offices and shops just too bloody hot. I really don't see much occasion to we them. If I'm in the car - its out of a heated house 3 metres to heated car, drive to heated underground car park, up in heated lift, to heated office or shop or whatever. Sad really as I do like them but to be honest its just an indulgence and nostalgia.I have to actually actively think - " I should wear that a bit more"

Maybe on a rural "ramble" but if I go up the country I'm a visitor to friends or relatives real farms. If I'm going to help I'll take proper appropriate modern technical clothes. If I was living on a farm I'd probably wear a Tweed jacket around, but even then theres better more practical farm jackets. My old uncles used to wear their old tweed jackets and suits - done up with safety pins (proto punks?) to milk cows. It is (was) very rural Irish. Maybe if I stood outside and watched a kid play football on cold winters days I might think of using Tweed more. But then I hate the "Sport Coat With Jeans" look.

I can't imagine wanting to wear a tweed suit - or for that matter where the hell I'd wear it if I did want to.

I like the faux tweeds or city tweeds in lighter, smoother cloth with some old tweed patterns, checks etc. I don't like gunclub much at all. Always wanted to try a black and white puppy tooth perhaps - used to have one back in the good old days. Its probably a truism to say that if you could get away with wearing it the first time around you can't do it the second time around. Its partly to do with the climate here but I get more use out of linen or linen blend jackets - as they ave a bit of casualness in surface embedded in the more formal structure. I'm going through a bit of a stage where I seem to want to wear a tie if I'm wearing a"tailored" jacket - so that I lean more toward the casual non tailored jackets like Harrington, M65 types, trucker jackets, barn coats, Field jackets and such if I'm going tieless. I'm steering away from the worsted suits a bit too - for the same reasons - I find I wear the linens, corduroy, cotton and flannel suits more these days. Generally with knit ties. I suppose I'm drifting to the casual look like everyone else. Or maybe I'm just more comfortable in my skin and like to only wear clothes that I think I look relaxed in - even if its a suit and tie. I don't care these days if I stand out or fit in or fly under the radar.

I'd be interested in JourneymanJourneyman prince nezprince nez The ShoomanThe Shooman say from a local perspective and ThruthThruth formbyformby and others from O/S (as we say) have to say. FriendCustomerFriendCustomer aren't you into older fabrics tweeds etc? How does it work for you?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  4. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Very pale skin is the colour of the true elite. You can't understand that you stalinian nostalgic.

sirloin and ConchitaWurst like this.
  5. ConchitaWurst

ConchitaWurst Bespoke-Weather Forecaster Supporter

ill lit one after lunch
    any pro tanning tips?

TOGLIATTI and FriendCustomer like this.
  6. ConchitaWurst

yes all former tibor hats. please please dont tell him. i dont want to end up being sent back to puberty with my balls cut off and stuffed in my face, later to be found on the bottom of lago d'iseo by the local commander of the comando stazione carabinieri marone

7. ConchitaWurst

the only solution to this problem is tweed inspired cashmeres for luxe top fake england look as worn by elegant lombardian gentlemen

still i really like tweed

Monkeyface, sirloin, Thruth and 2 others like this.
  8. fxh

Conference Yesterday - Saturday - at University. Not much Tweed
    1a.jpg 2a.jpg 3a.jpg

9. ConchitaWurst

10. TOGLIATTI

Yes, that why he is basically naked outside

Always adjust your bed towards the sun
    Use tanning oil
    Fear the shadows
    Be tough

11. ConchitaWurst

thanks. a son of a beachboy once told me about using baby oil and those silver reflector screens. whats your pro opinion?

12. TOGLIATTI

Baby oil
    Then olive oil
    And repeat

In case you find some reflectors... of course, the best

13. formby

formby Well-Known Member

I like the jeans and tweed look, but none of that distressed denim, its got to be dark, and pretty uniform in colour. Worn with a pair of chunky brogue shoes/boots, a lambswool sweater and perhaps a check shirt, I think its a good look.

Personally, I wear tweeds and cord in autumn/winter for casual, worsteds for work, with tweed maybe on the occasional Friday. Linen/linen mixes and lightweight worsteds for spring/summer. One thing I have started to wear more as I have got older, are slip-on shoes (loafers). I was always very formal when it came to shoes/boots. I've relaxed that approach quite a bit.

I typically always wear one item of tailored clothing, either a jacket or pants I rarely go fully casual unless I'm working with tools (not the human variety).

On hot days (I'm waiting for it ;)) I'll often be seen knocking about in linen trousers and a Lacoste polo in a bright colour. I like that look...

14. güero

güero Well-Known Member

That is way to reasonable and practical. True igents DRESS TO IMPRESS.

15. fxh

Heh they do look very odd there
    //[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    ConchitaWurst likes this.
  16. fxh

This is pretty much one of my fitting in/flying under the radar looks. Jeans, boots, thick shirt and leather jacket that is just slightly less Dad's Jacket than most. I simply can't seem to do scruffy well. I'm too neat and clean by nature.

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member Supporter

I think that your hair contradicts that statement!

18. fxh

Tonight. Same old. Same old.
    2.jpg 1a.jpg

19. Pauly Chase

Pauly Chase Hip Dairy Farmer Supporter

Spectator shoes

20. aristoi bcn

aristoi bcn Member

What is the appeal of a Lacoste polo nowadays?

I used to wear them when I was 16 but then I decided not to wear garments with visible logos anymore. It's true that some of the polos I had came from my uncle so they were already 20 years old when they were passed to me (good quality back then, in the '80)

I see knitted polos much more comfortable and generally with better fit than pique ones (and also dressier).

Nothing wrong with pique polos but if you are into menswear aren't knitted polos a better option?

viaattovannucci and Lord Buckley like this.
  21. Lord Buckley

Lord Buckley Well-Known Member

Lacoste suffered greatly when they decided to become a global youth brand. I have a Lacoste book from the mid-2000's in which they laid out this plan. Outside of their polos they have become a cheap and cheery brand. They also shifted production off-shore.

I think the quality is still there with the piqued polos and the dynamic colour range too. I think a bright Lacoste polo, or black or navy coloured is still a good casual option with khaki chinos, or linen trouser ala Formby.

Agree that knitted polos in the right fit, look much dressier. Some of the Sunspel ones fall into this category.

formby likes this.
  22. formby

formby Well-Known Member

I like the fit, the quality, but most of all the colour range. I'm not bothered about the 'scally' associations.

The logo, isn't that big-a-deal on Lacoste polos.

aristoi bcn and doghouse like this.
  23. doghouse

doghouse King Of The Elite Idiots Moderator Supporter

There is nothing more versatile than a Lacoste polo. I wear one at least once or twice a week.

The no logo rule seems rather naff.

24. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Monochromatic Clothing Troll Supporter

As long you don't mind looking like a chav.

viaattovannucci and Capstone like this.
  25. doghouse

White nationalist is the preferred nomenclature.

26. Monkeyface

I didn't know you liked red baseball caps

27. aristoi bcn

aristoi bcn Member

Well, that depends on your personal style. Versatility means grey cotton T-shirt and light blue shirt to me.

I don't find myself in many situations where a polo is a better alternative to a T-shirt if a shirt is not mandatory.

28. Lord Buckley

It depends on the heat young man....sometimes a cotton grey coloured t-shirt and a light blue shirt is going to be too hot. Of course whether the shirt is 200 or above is going to help, but not necessarily that much with a grey undergarment.

In any kind of social situation I will always take a piqued polo over a t-shirt, unless I am in a concert where wearing a Blue Note records t-shirt might give me an edge.

doghouse and aristoi bcn like this.
  29. formby

formby Well-Known Member

What I like about grey cotton T-shirts is how wonderful they are at showing sweat stains...

Its a good look, if you want to look like Rocky.

doghouse, Thruth, The Shooman and 3 others like this.
  30. doghouse

A collar almost always beats no collar.

31. ConchitaWurst

indeed. id have to see examples where it beats the collar

IMG_6878.JPG

32. fxh

Its hard to think of a look I dislike more than a jacket worn with a t shirt.

33. Lord Buckley

It tends to end up leaving oily sweat stains on the collar of the jacket.

Started back with tie wearing today, just as a blast of summer is back on the cards.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017 at 3:13 AM
  34. Great White Snark

Great White Snark Well-Known Member

Agreed. Looks awful. The only exception I can think of is those hooped Breton shirts Weller wore under a navy blazer in the early Style Council days but collar trumps crew neck under a jacket 99.9% of the time. I tend to think of round neck t shirts as underwear, beach wear, sports wear or sleep wear.

doghouse, fxh, FriendCustomer and 2 others like this.
  35. The Shooman

The Shooman A Pretty Face

Some can pull it off with a certain coat and t-shirt, but most fall far short. Yes, a navy coat and white t-shirt on a tall slim bloke MAY work if the clothes are cut and fitted really well.

The above? Nah.

36. Monkeyface

Looks fine to me
    IMG_5559.JPG

37. Great White Snark

Great White Snark Well-Known Member

My point being - yeah your suggestion can look OK but swap the t shirt for a polo, a BD, a linen shirt or a popover and the look will almost always be improved.

Crockett looks good in that pic which was of its time and that was his 'look'. Just like in that San Francisco show he did he had a 'look' with the grandad shirt with odd waistcoat and blazer.

Lord Buckley likes this.
  38. Thruth

Thruth thicker but more pliant than horsehide Moderator

???
    IMG_9056.JPG IMG_9057.JPG IMG_9058.JPG

39. Rambo

Rambo The Trollest Of Trolls Moderator

Wow that 90's fashion was brutal

Journeyman likes this.
  40. Monkeyface

Yeah, 80s and 70s is where it's at