2017 Horse Racing meta thread

Oh for sure. I got all giddy watching it. I mostly meant for the person that actually bothered to take the time to put it together.

Sound in both ears was a bit annoying. They were pretty close actually, like 2 seconds.

Sound in both ears was a bit annoying. They were pretty close actually, like 2 seconds.

Almost 3 seconds actually. That's not that close. American Pharoah would have been just ahead of the pack behind Secretariat. About 18-20 lengths back. For reference, Pharoah dominated this field and only won by 5 1/2 lengths, just under a second.

Almost 3 seconds actually. That's not that close. American Pharoah would have been just ahead of the pack behind Secretariat. About 18-20 lengths back. For reference, Pharoah dominated this field and only won by 5 1/2 lengths, just under a second.

Yeah, it just sounds like a small number.

One of the first big events of the year, Dubai World Cup.

Dick bag Baffert with a horse, probably win it.

So is this thread all about American flat racing? Left hand oval tracks?

Cheltenham festival was pretty good. At least with jumpers you get to watch the horses over several years. They don't win a few times and then get retired. The downside is it is not a great time of the year to be at the races. Cold weather and short days.

The Derby will be coming up in a few months. That is always a good couple of days. Oaks day is even better - less crowded. Go up on the Hill. Watch the races for free. Great course - up and down and a severe camber coming into the finishing post.

It's about any equine stuff you want to talk about.

Some of the jumping events down south have been good this year.

So you lost money? Or is horse racing and little less binary than I thought?
It can be, but not in this case. To be honest, I didn't really do any research before the race, just picked a couple random horses.

Not feeling Always Dreaming to repeat. But I wasn't feeling it in the Derby either, so there's that.

Two out of three bets came in at The Oaks yesterday. G.K. Chesterton was a favourite with a good jockey and Godolphin colours. Nice name too, GK had interesting views on distributism and the 'third way' as well as the Father Brown stories.

Had Highland Reel in group1 Coronation Cup.

No good in The Oaks. Thought place bets offered value but no joy there.

Will go for Cliffs of Moher in the Derby. Mainly for the name. Great county. Up The Banner!

Aidan O'Brien's main jockey is on board.

Cracksman will probably be favourite since Frankie Dettori rode The Oaks winner yesterday.

All this horse racing makes me want to go to the Queen's Plate now. Then again, I'd probably only be going for sartorial reasons.

All this horse racing makes me want to go to the Queen's Plate now. Then again, I'd probably only be going for sartorial reasons.
Those are the best reasons

So if you told me Tapwrit would win the Belmont I quite possibly would have laughed.

Royal Ascot - which was the day with the loose women again?

"Jumpsuits will now be permitted in the Royal Enclosure, the event's most elite area and the section where you'll find The Queen and other members of the royal family each day."

I am a hopeless tipster.

Would bet on Highland Reel again, instead of Jack Hobbs in 4.20 race (prince of Wales stakes) on Wednesday.

Reason? He won at Epsom.

Sounds about like my reasoning.

Some years I put in some legwork before the Kentucky Derby, but not often.

Jumpsuit? Is that like a romper?

Shot_05_062f2-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqii_3xxe6_et4VAnrHiaC3Ekn1kapPaGZ2QTdaqiiy5E.jpg

Approved attire.

Bugger, how much money could I have won today if I followed the genius coming from this thread?

Lots of dressed up women drinking their own booze on the train to Ascot on Saturday. I got off at Richmond and they were wandering around the town later that evening.

Nice pubs in Richmond - but the beer is not very good. Sunshine and cricket on the green. Then we wandered down to the White Cross as the tide was coming in. Ice cream van had its wheels in the water. http://thewhitecrossrichmond.com/

The Watermans is probably the pick of the Richmond pubs. Still traditional. Not yet ruined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom