2023 Hurricane & Other Amazing Awful Weather Thread

I wonder what's left to loot
I ask myself: Who is looting the place?
Today the UK government got flak for not responding faster and help the poor victims in the British territories.
If they are all victims who is stealing from them?

I ask myself: Who is looting the place?
Today the UK government got flak for not responding faster and help the poor victims in the British territories.
If they are all victims who is stealing from them?

Victims can steal too. Some are victims of just a hurricane, others of both a hurricane and looting.

Maybe I didn't hear it right on NBC Nightly News but some couple got dropped off by a cruise ship at Miami today. She said it was inhumane that her five day cruise was cut short and she was dumped there with less than a day to find a way out.

So a few days ago, let's say even Labour Day, you decided f@*' it I'm going down to board a Caribbean cruise for my honeymoon with a 300km wind category 5 hurricane barrelling down Antigua and Barbuda and you want us to be sympathetic?

Continuing to bend westward and its currently tearing up Cuba. Actually looks to be heading more towards John Lee Pettimore III John Lee Pettimore III now.

Yep, you may have dodged a massive bullet. My sister in law and her dude are in Tally as well, now I'm more concerned for them. Cousin in Marco already hit the road, lives right on canal and has wife with ALS.

Looks like it's gonna be a direct hit. Not going to evacuate because my wife is due in the next week or so and we're four blocks from a hospital.

Have spent a good ten hours over the last two days filling and carry sandbags for people. My back is shot but it's great to see all the volunteers and generosity. The thing about Tally is we won't get flooded but the power is going to be out for a long time due to our heavy forest cover, a corrupt municipal utility, a mayor who seems to be in hiding, and a populace that freaks out whenever trees get trimmed. Plus there's heavy water pump load because of all the damn hills (this is a city that actually has steep grade warnings on a few downtown streets).

Looks like it's gonna be a direct hit. Not going to evacuate because my wife is due in the next week or so and we're four blocks from a hospital.

Have spent a good ten hours over the last two days filling and carry sandbags for people. My back is shot but it's great to see all the volunteers and generosity. The thing about Tally is we won't get flooded but the power is going to be out for a long time due to our heavy forest cover, a corrupt municipal utility, a mayor who seems to be in hiding, and a populace that freaks out whenever trees get trimmed. Plus there's heavy water pump load because of all the damn hills (this is a city that actually has steep grade warnings on a few downtown streets).

Damn. Dealing with that with a baby ready to pop is no fun.

SIL and her dude and her mom are holed up at her place with their 137 animals. I'd have to go stand in the hurricane if I was there, it would be preferable to the shit show that house is gonna be.

good on you. the only person i helped was my neighbor. even that was a mission.

God bless everyone in the path of Irma. As Caesar said, "The die is cast."

good on you. the only person i helped was my neighbor. even that was a mission.

It was a great workout, met some awesome people, got to see college girls wearing next to nothing bending over and shoveling.... was a good time.

Damn. Dealing with that with a baby ready to pop is no fun.

SIL and her dude and her mom are holed up at her place with their 137 animals. I'd have to go stand in the hurricane if I was there, it would be preferable to the shit show that house is gonna be.

My great-grandmother rode out the last hurricane to make landfall in St. Pete. She brought a few pigs, chickens, and a fucking cow inside her house with her. She was a tough old cracker lady.

My great-grandmother rode out the last hurricane to make landfall in St. Pete. She brought a few pigs, chickens, and a fucking cow inside her house with her. She was a tough old cracker lady.

If I'm being completely honest, me and the 137 animals would get along fine. It's the interactions between the sis in law and her mother that would drive me to lash myself to a tree in the front yard. I like the cut of your great grannys jib I must say.

If I'm being completely honest, me and the 137 animals would get along fine. It's the interactions between the sis in law and her mother that would drive me to lash myself to a tree in the front yard. I like the cut of your great grannys jib I must say.

I remember one Thanksgiving, when I was a kid, my mom asked her if she evacuated. She scowled at my mom and said, "darling, it was just some wind and some water. "

I hope his stupid goddamned iPhone got destroyed.
Here whenever there are floods or etc - the cops and Emergency Services put up signs saying "Road Closed Due to Flood" - and "Drive Slowly Floods" etc . Then there are the news stories of how 2 helicopters and a policewoman nearly drowned looking for 3 hours to rescue some guy. Or some other bloke - its nearly always men - has plunged off bridge and dies. Then next week you see the story - Not only were there signs - the police had stopped the bloke and suggested he don't use road and ---- the silly fucker has gone through a metre deep water at speed!!!!

I wonder what's left to loot
I dunno what its like there but here occasionally in flood you get the shock horror looting headlines then the next week it turns out it was just locals grabbing a few tins of beans and toilet paper etc because the shop was flooded and no one there and they needed supplies.

Power's out now. Winds still minimal. Hitting the sack. Should be interesting when I wake up.

Stay safe and we pray you wake to zero damage and no 'gators in your basement!

More it's all Trump's fault, the Channel 4 journalist is no better with her ''End of Days'' proclamation:

Stay safe and we pray you wake to zero damage and no 'gators in your basement!

More it's all Trump's fault, the Channel 4 journalist is no better with her ''End of Days'' proclamation:

Was Meryl Streep not available? I guess there is a price to pay for being the best paid actress in Hollywood...
Any news about Trump property destroyed? Please let Irma not be racist...

Tallahassee issued a "voluntary evacuation" order last night. Which really means, "yeah, we're completely unprepared for this thing and are going look like a bunch of drunk monkeys trying to coordinate any sort of recovery effort. But we told you to leave, so we're good, right?"

Any news about Trump property destroyed? ...

Mars-a-Lago was included in the evacuation area if I didn't misread. But I am sure one Secret Service man was left behind to protect the bogus Time magazine cover.

Tallahassee issued a "voluntary evacuation" order last night. Which really means, "yeah, we're completely unprepared for this thing and are going look like a bunch of drunk monkeys trying to coordinate any sort of recovery effort. But we told you to leave, so we're good, right?"

What do my American coworkers call it? CYA matey...CYA.

_97739923_boats.jpg

Yeah that looks like a lot of work.

65c87c0c3df4d7a5be1a09315174a900

"A Florida man who suggested shooting guns at Hurricane Irma out of 'stress and boredom' has found that his idea has captured peoples' imaginations - with over 46,000 signing up to join in."

Because hanging for dear life can get quite monotonous...

Apparently the water has been sucked out of Tampa Bay. Not joking. The water has receded fifty or so in some places as Irma sucks up water.

65c87c0c3df4d7a5be1a09315174a900

"A Florida man who suggested shooting guns at Hurricane Irma out of 'stress and boredom' has found that his idea has captured peoples' imaginations - with over 46,000 signing up to join in."

Because hanging for dear life can get quite monotonous...

Idiots. You use leafblowers. I have mine ready to go, going to start patrolling the perimeter in a few hours.

(Okay, I have my shotgun as well. But my money's on the leaf blower).

Apparently the water has been sucked out of Tampa Bay. Not joking. The water has receded fifty or so in some places as Irma sucks up water.

Idiots. You use leafblowers. I have mine ready to go, going to start patrolling the perimeter in a few hours.

(Okay, I have my shotgun as well. But my money's on the leaf blower).

Yep, it did it in the Bahamas as well

Last we spoke, Rambo's without power and internet, so he might be a while getting in contact.

Luckily, the storm came ashore at Naples. Sucks for Naples, but it's mostly new construction, and all the time on land will weaken it so that St. Pete, Tampa, and Tallahassee should just get Cat 1 winds.

Bad for that one Naples bar that said they were serving and sheltering trailer home people throughout the hurricane.

Grand Potentate Grand Potentate - Any updates (presuming that communications infrastructure still works)? I hope that you're alright.
I'm hanging in there. Surprisingly the cell networks have yet to go out, so coms and internet have been steady. Power is going on a day now so everyone's trapped inside and hot. Storm is so big that we're still seeing some hurricane winds here when the bands come through.

Good for humanity, bad for storm chasing television ratings and social media infamy.

Does that mean my Floridian coworker is on a plane and in my office by noon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom