2023 Hurricane & Other Amazing Awful Weather Thread

Coworkers from northeast Florida and Atlanta cannot fly out until tomorrow night at the earliest. Little bit ambitious thinking they could be here by noon today.

Canadians stranded by Hurricane Irma criticize the federal government

"For the past week, her mom and sister have slept on mats in the auditorium of the American University of the Caribbean, where Mariel is a first-year medical student. At home in Port Coquitlam, B.C., Alia Chan has started a Facebook petition to persuade the Canadian government to rescue those stranded on the Caribbean island. The United States has already sent military planes to rescue its citizens, she said.

[Ms.] Chan said her mother travelled to St. Maarten with her sister to help her get settled into her dormitory at the university. They haven't showered for six days, she said, and are living on granola bars and bottled water. They have had no contact from the Canadian government, she said."

First, we're not the most powerful military in the world. We don't have planes and ships just sitting around in the Caribbean or likely even in Canada. Second, you sent your daughter to an island for university (I'm going to guess - because her grades are rubbish or you have no money) that's barely self-sufficient. If you're in trouble because of some calamity, you accept the risk that it's not in Canada's backyard and within easy reach of the government and/or military. I don't go climbing Mt. Everest thinking my bat-signal will get me out if ever I stub my toe. Lastly, I'm not sure anyone was enthusiastic to send anything to St. Martin/St. Maarten when Jose was nipping on Irma's heels a few days ago.

Power still out. A few supermarkets are open and some gas stations have gas. Probably going to pick up some Chinese for dinner. I'm hoping the power comes back in the next 24 or else I'll lose the whole freezer worth of food.

Canadians stranded by Hurricane Irma criticize the federal government

"For the past week, her mom and sister have slept on mats in the auditorium of the American University of the Caribbean, where Mariel is a first-year medical student. At home in Port Coquitlam, B.C., Alia Chan has started a Facebook petition to persuade the Canadian government to rescue those stranded on the Caribbean island. The United States has already sent military planes to rescue its citizens, she said.

[Ms.] Chan said her mother travelled to St. Maarten with her sister to help her get settled into her dormitory at the university. They haven't showered for six days, she said, and are living on granola bars and bottled water. They have had no contact from the Canadian government, she said."

First, we're not the most powerful military in the world. We don't have planes and ships just sitting around in the Caribbean or likely even in Canada. Second, you sent your daughter to an island for university (I'm going to guess - because her grades are rubbish or you have no money) that's barely self-sufficient. If you're in trouble because of some calamity, you accept the risk that it's not in Canada's backyard and within easy reach of the government and/or military. I don't go climbing Mt. Everest thinking my bat-signal will get me out if ever I stub my toe. Lastly, I'm not sure anyone was enthusiastic to send anything to St. Martin/St. Maarten when Jose was nipping on Irma's heels a few days ago.

Canadians who cannot get into medical school in Canada or the US are designated "low priority" because they are not the smartest Canadians

My staffer in Atlanta was told to work from home. All gas stations out in his area out. At least two supermarkets out of bread, meat and water. He gave up and went home after.

I wonder how@Leitmotif is doing.
Did he escape in his AryanWarrior™ or did he stay home with his shotgun loaded to fight off looters?

I wonder how@Leitmotif is doing.
Did he escape in his AryanWarrior™ or did he stay home with his shotgun loaded to fight off looters?

Little or no damage except for a bit of ceiling that fell down because of water on the roof

Hurricane Maria getting stronger as it nears eastern Caribbean

"By 11 a.m. Monday morning, Maria was a Category 3 hurricane centred about 150 kilometres east of Martinique with top sustained winds of 195 km/h. It is moving west-northwest at 17 km/h, the National Hurricane Center said."

Canada is telling people not to travel there so please no more people complaining they're stuck on a cruise in Caribbean and can't get home.

yeah i have but its costly to buy a generator from them and certain supplies aren't available. looks like Maria will be floating away after wrecking puerto rico.

Floating to other wrecked islands?

Don't get carbon monoxide poisoning.

It has been a great year to work in public health emergency management. Between the North Korean assasins and the hurricanes,my job has never felt more secure.

Reads like it is just down power lines and not the catastrophe that hit Puerto Rico.

tropical-weather.jpg

What is this woman doing in that attire wading through water? I bet she is wearing flip flops.

Mobile, AL

I thought hurricanes lose strength when going over cold water. I don't remember the water around the British isles being particularly warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom