2023 Hurricane & Other Amazing Awful Weather Thread

In the middle of a natural disaster response, we have to pull resources for a planned presidential rally with the Indian PM.

In the middle of a natural disaster response, we have to pull resources for a planned presidential rally with the Indian PM.

Priorities mate. If the President isn't re-elected you wouldn't have any disaster response.

Priorities mate. If the President isn't re-elected you wouldn't have any disaster response.

1569174114978.jpeg

Appears a large mass of insects and birds are trapped within the eye of Hanna. Radar beam is striking non-meteorological targets.
EFEBA1FB-2864-4394-8970-F671924B3CE7.jpeg

Is there a weight restriction? Or are all briskets the same size down there?

Cat 3 headed straight for Port Arthur. I’ve been staging medical shelter teams and ambulances all day. I hitched a ride in a chinook helicopter today coming back from Beaumont, but didn’t want to take out my phone in case I lost it in the turbulence. We are fucked beyond belief.

Cat 3 headed straight for Port Arthur. I’ve been staging medical shelter teams and ambulances all day. I hitched a ride in a chinook helicopter today coming back from Beaumont, but didn’t want to take out my phone in case I lost it in the turbulence. We are fucked beyond belief.
Why fucked?

Why fucked?

I’m stacking medivacs three deep on ambuses and state guard helicopters to get them out of harms way in time. Even if the storm doesn’t get us, the covid infection rate amongst vulnerable populations is going to soar.

Even in a mandatory evacuation, most people don’t leave until it’s too late. Except maybe Galveston island.

The storm is heading for Port Arthur - home to dozens of mismanaged and unsafe petrochemical refineries and other toxic reservoirs that will burn and poison anyone left.

We’ve all been working ourselves ragged since January and exhaustion fueled, catastrophic mistakes are a possibility. At least we’ve got some fresh national guard folks on deck now.

I’m stacking medivacs three deep on ambuses and state guard helicopters to get them out of harms way in time. Even if the storm doesn’t get us, the covid infection rate amongst vulnerable populations is going to soar.

Even in a mandatory evacuation, most people don’t leave until it’s too late. Except maybe Galveston island.

The storm is heading for Port Arthur - home to dozens of mismanaged and unsafe petrochemical refineries and other toxic reservoirs that will burn and poison anyone left.

We’ve all been working ourselves ragged since January and exhaustion fueled, catastrophic mistakes are a possibility. At least we’ve got some fresh national guard folks on deck now.
fuck that sounds horrible. you guys going to be able to get more support on the ground so you dont have to work around the clock?

Likely to hit Cat 5 in the next few hours, but will go back to 4 before landfall.

One rig in the gulf reported a 50’ swell and wind speeds over 120mph

Is it going to hit you guys in houston?

Galveston is looking at a 2-4’ storm surge, which isn’t too big a deal. Houston should be fine, but Port Arthur about to cop it hard. Beaumont might not get hit too hard, but that’s not a certainty.

we’ve staged a bunch of mobile hospitals across the area outside the path and pulled every available ambulance in the state.

Our last C130 left Jefferson County an hour ago. Everyone who remained is on their own now, but we are staged for re-entry with rescue in the morning when it’s passed.

Galveston is looking at a 2-4’ storm surge, which isn’t too big a deal. Houston should be fine, but Port Arthur about to cop it hard. Beaumont might not get hit too hard, but that’s not a certainty.

we’ve staged a bunch of mobile hospitals across the area outside the path and pulled every available ambulance in the state.

Our last C130 left Jefferson County an hour ago. Everyone who remained is on their own now, but we are staged for re-entry with rescue in the morning when it’s passed.
Did most evac or are they trying to ride it out?

Did most evac or are they trying to ride it out?

No one really knows, but we are guessing a LOT of folks stayed put.

Nearly a Cat 5. All air and ground transportation ceased now. No one moves until it passes. It’d suck to be a 911 operator tonight.

I thought the Port Arthur mayor said don't dial 911 because no one will answer.

I thought the Port Arthur mayor said don't dial 911 because no one will answer.

People still call 911 and we build a priority rescue list ready for when we can move again. Individuals, hospitals, prisons ... it could be a busy morning.

People still call 911 and we build a priority rescue list ready for when we can move again. Individuals, hospitals, prisons ... it could be a busy morning.
what happens if the refinery takes damage? iirc that's the biggest one in the US isn't it?

what happens if the refinery takes damage? iirc that's the biggest one in the US isn't it?

They will have to take care of themselves until the morning. We are grounded overnight no matter what. Well, if the nuclear plant goes up I guess that what change.

There are dozens of older refineries out around Port Arthur, though I think the big ones are further West. The latter have better fire departments and hazmat teams than most medium sized cities, but I don’t have a lot of faith in The smaller, older ones

50 FEET?!?!

Jesus, that's a rolling wave as high as a five-storey building.

This probably just made it to Cat 5 before hitting land. I can’t even imagine what it would be like sitting on a rig in the middle of it all.

The eye wall is crossing into TX now, but early reports from Port Arthur and Beaumont are encouraging. LA took the brunt of the initial impact.

how'd the damage turn out? i haven't looked at the pictures yet?

Not bad at all this side of the border. Lake Charles got hammered badly. Chlorine factory currently burning out of control.

jesus pensacola is getting absolutely wrecked. that entire town might be under water by tomorrow. i saw a tweet that said it set the record for rain in a day already and the damn storm hadn't even moved all the way through.

They've run out of names for storms this year.

At least that's what the radio says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom