2023 Hurricane & Other Amazing Awful Weather Thread

It blew 65 here last night. Was not expecting that. Had a front porch chair wind up across the street.

I have a friend running the medical shelter in St Pete's right now. Once things calm down I'll text her to see how crazy it is there now.

Florida isn't a home rule state, so the response there is quite different to how we do stuff here.

what are you supposed to do if you can't afford to evacuate?

Some coastal counties have mutual aid agreements with neighboring counties - they will bus you to a safe public shelter. But in other areas, you’re on your own.

Some coastal counties have mutual aid agreements with neighboring counties - they will bus you to a safe public shelter. But in other areas, you’re on your own.
most places here, you have to go out of town to get a hotel. but if you're broke how are you going to drive anywhere to get a hotel? i just hate these rich fucks who say "evacuate!" and never say "here's the money you'll need to do that!"

Yeh. You’ve got about a hundred Red Cross shelters with 8,000 Evacuees right now, but Public Transport to shelters is often weak or poorly communicated.

Your state is pretty good about evacuating and sheltering residents with functional, access and medical needs.

But you’re right, the poor are often screwed.

This time two years ago I was coordinating air med evacs with the Coast Guard during Harvey.

I might do a ride-along with the US Marshalls heading to FL with a Federal Medical Station next week, if Dorian doesn’t turn into the Gulf.

In the meantime....

9FB4DEFA-A230-4564-B26F-85AD2EB25F70.jpeg

This time two years ago I was coordinating air med evacs with the Coast Guard during Harvey.

I might do a ride-along with the US Marshalls heading to FL with a Federal Medical Station next week, if Dorian doesn’t turn into the Gulf.

In the meantime....

View attachment 32504

Maybe it was the amount of alcohol I had but it took me awhile to understand this.

no one's sure quite yet. might be coming right at me. supposed to strengthen to a cat 4.

I know you won't do anything until the last minute.

That said the President cancelled his trip to Poland to come help. Either that or he is securing Mars-a-lago.

Thanks guys. We're pretty good here. Worst that can happen is extended power loss. Last time it was 6 miserable days

Thanks guys. We're pretty good here. Worst that can happen is extended power loss. Last time it was 6 miserable days

Hurricane Preparedness Essentials:

Generator, cold refrigerator and AC
Alcohol (other drugs optional)
Single female acquaintances

Just got off a call with another Floridian. She said she'd schedule a follow up call next week - Hurricane pending.

this is a fucking nightmare. half the models showing it slamming into us and the other half show it tracking north.

the bahamas are going to get completely fucked

this is a fucking nightmare. half the models showing it slamming into us and the other half show it tracking north.

the bahamas are going to get completely fucked

Maybe it will become more clear after the Bahamians take the hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom