2023 Hurricane & Other Amazing Awful Weather Thread

There's a chat group I am a part of and there is a bunch of Louisiana natives there. I honestly put the group on mute for the past few months because hurricanes and weather maps are the only things they talk about.

Snowmagedon Texas 2021:

12C4B4AA-2ACB-4E49-A8C9-8B460ABAEA4A.jpeg

thanks for prompting me to update the thread to 2021. can't wait!
Yeh, just as vaccination efforts have slowed enough to catch a breath, we are ramping up for hurricane season here. If people criticized FEMA and state emergency management before, wait till they see what the response looks like after the exhaustion and depletion of resources from the past 18 months.

2021 KICKING OFF WITH A BANG FOR NEW ENGLAND! WHOEVER HAD THAT IN THE OFFICE POOL IS GOING TO BE MAKING OUT LIKE A BANDIT

I just put my name forward for an incident management team if they ask for help. I’m guessing they don’t have so much experience with hurricanes up there … and hurricanes in a pandemic.

I just put my name forward for an incident management team if they ask for help. I’m guessing they don’t have so much experience with hurricanes up there … and hurricanes in a pandemic.

Free vacation to free the fall foliage?

Absolutely! Is it leather jacket weather up there yet?

I'm on the border of the northeast and it's 30c plus humidity today.

Let us enjoy our summer before the freezing cold comes November.

But what happened to we're burnt out from the pandemic let's get some rest where we can?

I'm on the border of the northeast and it's 30c plus humidity today.

Let us enjoy our summer before the freezing cold comes November.

But what happened to we're burnt out from the pandemic let's get some rest where we can?

Honestly, my team is falling apart and turning on each other. It’s been kinda nasty and sad, but an inevitable result of the stress and fatigue. I’ll take a two week tour of a hurricane response to get out of this environment and just get away to somewhere new. Which is pretty sad.

Honestly, my team is falling apart and turning on each other. It’s been kinda nasty and sad, but an inevitable result of the stress and fatigue. I’ll take a two week tour of a hurricane response to get out of this environment and just get away to somewhere new. Which is pretty sad.

Sorry to hear that mate. You seem like a family man so if two weeks away from the work grind is an escape less family - it must be pretty bad.

Sorry to hear that mate. You seem like a family man so if two weeks away from the work grind is an escape less family - it must be pretty bad.
i was on the verge of picking up a shopping cart and beating someone to death with it today and all i do is go to stores. i cannot even fathom how aggravating it must be to deal with this from the back end on the government side. i think i'd have to walk around with a camelback filled with bourbon just to get through the day.

i was on the verge of picking up a shopping cart and beating someone to death with it today and all i do is go to stores. i cannot even fathom how aggravating it must be to deal with this from the back end on the government side. i think i'd have to walk around with a camelback filled with bourbon just to get through the day.

Well, Cuomo the nemesis of women just declared a state of emergency so you know how competent it will be.

"I am governor today, and I am in charge,” Cuomo said at a press briefing on Saturday.

Ida looking like its going to strengthen into a Cat 4 hurricane over night and it moved east a bit directly over new orleans. if it hits cat 4 its going to be a bloodbath.

FEMA are shitting bricks on this one. Pre-positioning nearly everything they can scrounge together to help the state, but can’t get any medical support staff to run mobile hospitals.

It *is* on the list of places close to sea level and affected by climate change.

Quite sad as I was fond of the place when I made my last trip since coronavirus.

look at this crazy ass shit from new york and new jersey. the whole thread is wild

Apparently numerous people in NY City drowned in basement apartments - the apartments were literally inundated with stormwater and they couldn't get out in time.

Apparently numerous people in NY City drowned in basement apartments - the apartments were literally inundated with stormwater and they couldn't get out in time.
I can’t imagine what would happen in TX or LA if basements were common here. Because of the soil, homes down here are mostly built of wood with the attic used for storage I stress of a basement. Even so, we’ve had several people drown when they moved to the attic as flood water entered their homes, only to be trapped and drown.

TS Nicholas coming at is from the dreaded Campeche. I was hoping to get a day off this month, but maybe it will be two days next month instead.

Doesn’t look too bad. Unless it hits New Orleans again.
It doesn’t look great for us: slow moving rain maker that could flood coastal counties Tuesday. Could be some seriois residential flooding in small pockets and widespread street flooding.

We are mobilising ambulance strike teams to be ready to evacuate a few nursing homes, but not expecting to evacuate any of the large hospitals.

OTOH, ould still track a little further East and spare us.

B6FBB297-9913-4137-9706-BFACAF5A1588.jpeg

Last edited:
It doesn’t look great for us: slow moving rain maker that could flood coastal counties Tuesday. Could be some seriois residential flooding in small pockets and widespread street flooding.

We are mobilising ambulance strike teams to be ready to evacuate a few nursing homes, but not expecting to evacuate any of the large hospitals.

OTOH, ould still track a little further East and spare us.

View attachment 41225
oooooof

I think we are all set with everyone in place. All air traffic is stopping at 1800 and we called a complete ground stop at 2000. Then we just chill and wait to see what hits.

It’s picked up pace a little, so I don’t expect major flooding. My guess is a lot of impassable roads and a handful of neighborhoods with a few feet of water in their homes.

Good luck out there. Hope it’s mild

One county is 97% without power and outages are widespread across the region, but there was very little damage or flooding. Getting dialysis services in the right spots is tricky, but I’m hoping we will wrap this one up by the end of the day. Then we return to the regular scheduled programming: the soul destroying daily grind of a multi-year pandemic response.

One county is 97% without power and outages are widespread across the region, but there was very little damage or flooding. Getting dialysis services in the right spots is tricky, but I’m hoping we will wrap this one up by the end of the day. Then we return to the regular scheduled programming: the soul destroying daily grind of a multi-year pandemic response.
good news then!

updated this for 2022 and to give a place to talk about weather since the climate change thread has turned into a simp parking lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom