A Futile and Stupid Gesture: The History of the Trump Presidency

Pimpernel Smith

The following is a list of the top 10 newspapers in the United States by average weekday paid circulation in 2019.[3]

The most popular​

news websites in America​

1. Yahoo!
    52%

Yahoo!​

WEBSITE
    The most popular and the most famous news website
  2. NBC.com
    48%

NBC.com​

WEBSITE
    The 2nd most popular and the 6th most famous news website
  3. CBS.com
    46%

CBS.com​

WEBSITE
    The 3rd most popular and the 4th most famous news website
  4. FoxNews.com
    43%

FoxNews.com​

WEBSITE
    The 4th most popular and the 2nd most famous news website
  5. CNN.com
    43%

CNN.com​

WEBSITE
    The 5th most popular and the 3rd most famous news website
  6. COVID-19 behavioural data for health organisations, media and businesses
    See YouGov COVID-19 Monitor
  7. NBCNews.com
    42%

NBCNews.com​

WEBSITE
    The 6th most popular and the 7th most famous news website
  8. CNBC
    42%

CNBC​

WEBSITE
    The 7th most popular and the 5th most famous news website
  9. Forbes.com
    40%

Forbes.com​

WEBSITE
    The 8th most popular and the 10th most famous news website
  10. ESPN.com
    40%

ESPN.com​

WEBSITE
    The 9th most popular and the 8th most famous news website
  11. Buzzfeed
    39%

Buzzfeed​

WEBSITE
    The 10th most popular and the 11th most famous news website
  12. washingtonpost.com
    39%

washingtonpost.com​

WEBSITE
    The 11th most popular and the 14th most famous news website
  13. NPR News
    38%

NPR News​

MOBILE APPLICATION
    The 12th most popular and the 25th most famous news website
  14. The Huffington Post
    38%

The Huffington Post​

WEBSITE
    The 13th most popular and the 13th most famous news website
  15. MSN.com
    36%

MSN.com​

WEBSITE
    The 14th most popular and the 9th most famous news website
  16. CNET.com
    34%

CNET.com​

WEBSITE
    The 15th most popular and the 23rd most famous news website
  17. NFL.COM
    32%

NFL.COM​

WEBSITE
    The 16th most popular and the 16th most famous news website
  18. Reuters
    31%

Reuters​

WEBSITE
    The 17th most popular and the 24th most famous news website
  19. TMZ
    31%

TMZ​

WEBSITE
    The 18th most popular and the 12th most famous news website
  20. Us Weekly
    30%

Us Weekly​

WEBSITE
    The 19th most popular and the 17th most famous news website
  21. Bloomberg
    30%

Bloomberg​

WEBSITE
    The 20th most popular and the 15th most famous news website
Doesn't negate the fact that 80 million Americans visit the the US edition of the Daily Mail each month. I expect the above research excluded the Daily Mail. It doesn't sell physical newspapers in the US, so circulation figures are not applicable

belinmad

Doesn't negate the fact that 80 million Americans visit the the US edition of the Daily Mail each month. I expect the above research excluded the Daily Mail. It doesn't sell physical newspapers in the US, so circulation figures are not applicable

The second list is the list of most popular online news sites in the US, by monthly visits. No show of Daily Mail. Of course you expect a fact-based approach to exclude your own factless commentary, cause otherwise you have to admit that once more you don't know what you are talking about.

Moreover, this is one of your bullshit rabbit holes, Pimpy. Daily Mail is a right-wing platform often publishing inaccurate, misleading and plain false information, and there's plenty of proof of this. If you want to put them on the list of "people talking about Trump", they definitely belong in the camp of Fox et al.

Pimpernel Smith

The second list is the list of most popular online news sites in the US, by monthly visits. No show of Daily Mail. Of course you expect a fact-based approach to exclude your own factless commentary, cause otherwise you have to admit that once more you don't know what you are talking about.

Moreover, this is one of your bullshit rabbit holes, Pimpy. Daily Mail is a right-wing platform often publishing inaccurate, misleading and plain false information, and there's plenty of proof of this. If you want to put them on the list of "people talking about Trump", they definitely belong in the camp of Fox et al.
The Daily Mail is still getting 80 million visits a month in the USA, you can find those figures if you care to look. It is a newspaper and whilst a soiled tabloid, it's still very popular in the USA. My point was, it does have visibility in the US and has offices on the West and East coast doing the American edition, which seems quite popular.

It was consistently anti-Trump throughout the Presidency.
I know as a Brit this is basically impossible for you to grasp, but no one in America considers tabloids news. Tabloids are where you laugh a things like bat Boy. The Brit fascination with tabloids is something I will never understand.
Moot point, as The Daily Mail is extremely popular in the USA, which what I was getting at, when challenged that The Daily Mail had no readership in the US. Which is quite demonstrably false.

I now it's difficult to accept The Guardian is not the world's go to Brit and English language newspaper.

Arnathor

The Hamiltonian Hung Like a Horse
Supporter
I know as a Brit this is basically impossible for you to grasp, but no one in America considers tabloids news. Tabloids are where you laugh a things like bat Boy. The Brit fascination with tabloids is something I will never understand.
:ahahahaha:

Last edited:

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
I now it's difficult to accept The Guardian is not the world's go to Brit and English language newspaper.
It's a tabloid as well. As mind boggling as it is, the UK has literally a single actual newspaper, the Times of London. Two if you count the FT, which is more of an international paper in my mind.

Pimpernel Smith

It's a tabloid as well. As mind boggling as it is, the UK has literally a single actual newspaper, the Times of London. Two if you count the FT, which is more of an international paper in my mind.

The FT use to be great, as did The Times. I heard The Times had gone pretty Woke, so I didn't bother getting a subscription to them when I decided to move beyond the click-bait sensationalism and my 3 free articles a week from The Spectator.

Along with The Spectator, I have The Telegraph subscription that can have awful opinion pieces in and ad copy as well. And then they suddenly redeem themselves, just after you've cancelled them.

QuandoDio

It is not snobbery to assert that no one of substance really gets their news from the daily mail of all places. Those that do, the majority don't go there for cutting-edge journalism or edifying salves, they go there to laugh/ sympathise with celebrities of A-Z faction which the Daily mail is the world leader and 'excels' at which echoes what doghouse states.

The era of tabloids like Daily Mail/ Sun being the barometer of middle England is long long gone.

I have the telegraph sub and thanks for reminding me, as I need to cancel it asap as it is frankly terrible.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
I have the telegraph sub and thanks for reminding me, as I need to cancel it asap as it is frankly terrible.

Yeah, I used to have a Telegraph subscription too, but they went off the deep end a few years back.

belinmad

The Daily Mail is still getting 80 million visits a month in the USA, you can find those figures if you care to look. It is a newspaper and whilst a soiled tabloid, it's still very popular in the USA. My point was, it does have visibility in the US and has offices on the West and East coast doing the American edition, which seems quite popular.
Can you please point me to those figures that you say you've seen. I haven't been able to find them. I've shown my facts. Either put up, or shut up.

belinmad

It was consistently anti-Trump throughout the Presidency.

More BS. Daily Mail is as right-wing as they come. And a tabloid. Your argument for "daily Trump hating sessions instead of focusing on Biden" is solely based on right wing platforms like Daily Mail being the ones talking about him. So 100% factless BS.

Pimpernel Smith

Can you please point me to those figures that you say you've seen. I haven't been able to find them. I've shown my facts. Either put up, or shut up.
No, do your own research. Seek and ye shall find within 2 or 3 searches.

When you ultimately and deliberately fail, I will indulge your willful ignorance.

But not before.
More BS. Daily Mail is as right-wing as they come. And a tabloid. Your argument for "daily Trump hating sessions instead of focusing on Biden" is solely based on right wing platforms like Daily Mail being the ones talking about him. So 100% factless BS.
You miss my point entirely....

CNN ran with a headline earlier today on Trump, as the leading article. That was one of the verified true and excellent approved news agencies you cited as operating above and beyond all of that.

From my perspective they haven't. Which brings me back to close to my original posting, which was not in support of The Daily Mail, it was against the idiotic piece that my mum had been suckered into believing. The one before that was against making the next 4 years all about Trump.

And yet, despite it all, The Daily Mail remains one of the most, if not the most successful English speaking rags in the world. Including in the US which you are reluctant to acknowledge.

güero

Relax Cuckley it is an obvious winwin by trashing Trump they make sure he and his hideous spawn become pariahs while at the same time making sure he gets a shot at running again next time. Trust the plan!

Pimpernel Smith

Relax Cuckley it is an obvious winwin by trashing Trump they make sure he and his hideous spawn become pariahs while at the same time making sure he gets a shot at running again next time. Trust the plan!

Perchance, you are an American expatriate in Europe, Guero?

I ask you this, because my answer will resonate with you, if you are.

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter
The only reason people visit the daily mail site is their ads on sites like "rebekkah jones sunbathing topless!"

belinmad

No, do your own research. Seek and ye shall find within 2 or 3 searches.

When you ultimately and deliberately fail, I will indulge your willful ignorance.

But not before.

lol. You Sir are simply the epitome of baseless and ignorant superiority.

I’ve done MY research, I’m not doing yours. As long as you fail to point me to a set of facts that contradicts or disproves the ones I’ve shared, you remain a factless troll.
CNN ran with a headline earlier today on Trump, as the leading article. That was one of the verified true and excellent approved news agencies you cited as operating above and beyond all of that.
I never said excellent or approved. I said liberal media is not focusing on Trump, right wing media is. One more time you distort as your argument

From my perspective they haven't. Which brings me back to close to my original posting, which was not in support of The Daily Mail, it was against the idiotic piece that my mum had been suckered into believing.

So ignorance is genetic then. No surprise there.

And yet, despite it all, The Daily Mail remains one of the most, if not the most successful English speaking rags in the world. Including in the US which you are reluctant to acknowledge.

This is still an unsubstantiated claim that is not backed by evidence.
And even if it was, see point above. Daily Mail is right wing, not liberal.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
The only reason people visit the daily mail site is their ads on sites like "rebekkah jones sunbathing topless!"

49bd979f1e87c01f82fefc32adfd0f77_w200.gif

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing

Pimpernel Smith

lol. You Sir are simply the epitome of baseless and ignorant superiority.

I’ve done MY research, I’m not doing yours. As long as you fail to point me to a set of facts that contradicts or disproves the ones I’ve shared, you remain a factless troll.

So ignorance is genetic then. No surprise there.

This is still an unsubstantiated claim that is not backed by evidence.
And even if it was, see point above. Daily Mail is right wing, not liberal.

Wiki even included their sources:

So, yes Sir, indeed, I am the epitome of baseless and fact less ignorance, all hideous traits inherited from my mother's side.

belinmad

Wiki even included their sources:

Oh Pimpy Pimpy, your relentless and frankly ridiculous effort to prove me wrong is so much fun to watch. Like watching my dogs trying to get outside when the door is closed. They can't avoid hitting their heads against the glass. Just like you and your failed crusade to introduce evidence that is meaningless. You suggest I should do my homework (which I did). Are you this sloppy with your work too? Must be pretty embarrassing to watch.

Let me take 20 minutes this morning to show how inaccurate, biased and ridiculous your argument is.

1. Your wikipedia article cites data from 2014. The sources it cites are also outdated. The article has been barely updated since. Here are, however, the updates since 2014 (from the same article):
  • July 2014: The MailOnline admitted having published an entirely false story about George Clooney and the family of his fiancée.[49]
  • April 2016: Martin Fletcher wrote in the New Statesman about travelling to Iraq and writing a piece for The Times, then seeing his piece appear on MailOnline under someone else's byline "within five hours".[50]
  • February 2017: Wikipedia bans MailOnline citations as unreliable content.[51]
  • April 2017: The Sun threatened MailOnline with legal action over copyright infringement regarding a Sun exclusive video. According to a Sun executive, MailOnline was seen as responsible for blatant "piracy".[52]
  • July 2017: The Sun and the MailOnline drew criticism over the online posting of nude photos of Jodie Whittaker, the first women to play the character of The Doctor in the British television show Doctor Who.[53]
  • January 2019: as part of its feature designed to fight fake news, Microsoft Edge began to warn users against trusting MailOnline content, asserting that "this website generally fails to maintain basic standards of accuracy and accountability" and "has been forced to pay damages in numerous high-profile cases".[5] This was overturned a week later.[54]
  • June 2019: MailOnline has been blocked in China and remains inaccessible for unknown reasons.[citation needed]
The website was disallowed as reliable material for Wikipedia citations."[55][51]

I followed the cited data source, abc (Audit Bureau of Circulations, a UK entity). MailOnline is no longer registered, and DailyMail shows a circulation of 1m in the UK.

As a reminder, the data I quoted is from 2020. So while I appreciate your contribution, it's as valuable as your beloved Mother's whatsapp.

2. Similarly, your BBC article is from 2012. It cites Comscore data from 2011-2012.
I went onto Comscore's website: None of the daily mail platforms show up in the rankings (top 50). Knock yourself out: https://www.comscore.com/Insights/Rankings

3. You are citing Vanity Fair now. I don't even need to get started on this one. And clearly, you haven't read the piece, because it does a terrific job at discrediting MailOnline as a credible source for anything other than news on the Kardashians, George Clooney (apparently not even), Megan, and Harry.
It does, however, cite the now Pimpy-famous "80m readers in the US". Unfortunately, these are "internal company metrics". Allow me to take those with a healthy grain of salt.

I did find this comment quite funny though:
You could even argue that we have the Mail to thank for President Trump: They were the ones who broke the Anthony Weiner sexting story that prompted the feds to seize Weiner’s laptop just weeks before the 2016 election.

So, to summarise: all bollocks, no facts. Go find something that works, or shut up.

So, yes Sir, indeed, I am the epitome of baseless and fact less ignorance, all hideous traits inherited from my mother's side.
This one you actually got correct, congrats!!!

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
It just goes to show how fucking awful Manton is, that the whole Flight 93 debacle was just one more minor data point of his shittiness as opposed to a defining moment.

Pimpernel Smith

Oh Pimpy Pimpy, your relentless and frankly ridiculous effort to prove me wrong is so much fun to watch. Like watching my dogs trying to get outside when the door is closed. They can't avoid hitting their heads against the glass. Just like you and your failed crusade to introduce evidence that is meaningless. You suggest I should do my homework (which I did). Are you this sloppy with your work too? Must be pretty embarrassing to watch.

Let me take 20 minutes this morning to show how inaccurate, biased and ridiculous your argument is.

1. Your wikipedia article cites data from 2014. The sources it cites are also outdated. The article has been barely updated since. Here are, however, the updates since 2014 (from the same article):

I followed the cited data source, abc (Audit Bureau of Circulations, a UK entity). MailOnline is no longer registered, and DailyMail shows a circulation of 1m in the UK.

As a reminder, the data I quoted is from 2020. So while I appreciate your contribution, it's as valuable as your beloved Mother's whatsapp.

2. Similarly, your BBC article is from 2012. It cites Comscore data from 2011-2012.
I went onto Comscore's website: None of the daily mail platforms show up in the rankings (top 50). Knock yourself out: https://www.comscore.com/Insights/Rankings

3. You are citing Vanity Fair now. I don't even need to get started on this one. And clearly, you haven't read the piece, because it does a terrific job at discrediting MailOnline as a credible source for anything other than news on the Kardashians, George Clooney (apparently not even), Megan, and Harry.
It does, however, cite the now Pimpy-famous "80m readers in the US". Unfortunately, these are "internal company metrics". Allow me to take those with a healthy grain of salt.

I did find this comment quite funny though:

So, to summarise: all bollocks, no facts. Go find something that works, or shut up.

This one you actually got correct, congrats!!!

Steady yourself now, you might reach escape velocity all too soon...

I've demonstrated my position with sources and evidence.

The only other point I would like to take you up on: ''You are citing Vanity Fair now. I don't even need to get started on this one....'' What's wrong with them? A well respected magazine of current affairs, popular culture and style. Lots of serious journalists, critics and columnists plus photographers. Including as staff writer, the late, great and sadly missed, Christopher Hitchens.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Vanity Fair still has some good articles, but it’s so overwhelmingly in the establishment liberal camp that I usually don’t get beyond the headlines. We already know Trump and his followers are turds, I don’t need to feed the daily reminders.

formby002

Poor Manton, hahahahah

Condemned by a fellow conservative!

I always thought Mantonini an odd character, oddly thin-skinned (for a politico) and prone to hysterical outbursts. Sometimes a bit paranoid too c/w a persecution complex.

Strictly back-room material IMHO....

belinmad

Steady yourself now, you might reach escape velocity all too soon...

I've demonstrated my position with sources and evidence.

The only other point I would like to take you up on: ''You are citing Vanity Fair now. I don't even need to get started on this one....'' What's wrong with them? A well respected magazine of current affairs, popular culture and style. Lots of serious journalists, critics and columnists plus photographers. Including as staff writer, the late, great and sadly missed, Christopher Hitchens.

You, my friend, are a hoot. "Sources and Evidence". You are yet to provide one meaningful data point. Not stuff from 2012 or 2014, not self reported stuff from Daily Mail.
Your argument was "liberal media are making everything about Trump when they should be focusing on Biden". You didn't prove that. You then tried to use the Daily Mail as a "most read and well respected paper in America, and also anti Trump". You ended up citing Vanity Fair, on an article that talked about Clooney, Kardashian and Merkel. Seriously mate, I am truly sorry to see how deluded you are, but that's neither sources nor evidence, that's just bollocks.

But hey, I'm sure Giuliani would let you put together an affidavit in no time. What do you know, you might make it all the way to the Supreme Court. Please don't forget to cite your Mother's whatsapp as well. What a clown.

200a2e61f1e0e3b2497e45d372d03ed2.jpg

QuandoDio

All these attempts to analyse Manton and it all cometh to this, he is a fruitcake and his flight-93 analogy was a fruitcake one.

Was Manton ever a conservative? Big C or small c.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
He seemed to straddle neoliberalism and conservatism before abandoning both for Trumpism

Top Bottom