Agreeable Menswear Post Of The Day

Ulick McGee

Perhaps - I get the feeling the dilapidated academic look has lower status in the UK and Ireland than in the US or Australia. Not that this has stopped me in the past.

In my industry anyone wearing 'country' stuff usually turns out to be a building surveyor. Almost never an architect, never a quantity surveyor or engineer. Probably comes from hanging around rural landowning clients.

Untermensch

The American iGent scene has a thing for Samuel Beckett types. The UK, thankfully, has never had Intellectuals, unlike the Continent, where, again, you'll find the dilapidated academic look is much admired.

If you're squared away, shave properly, and use Brylcreem with a side parting, you cannot really do dilapidated anything. Full country is all right, because then you're with the cows and foxes, which don't give a shit and just mind their own business eating grass and farting.

It's deep, this menswear thing. Deep.

Kingstonian

View attachment 32988

He has appeared elsewhere in this thread but tie salesman Kenji Kaga nearly always looks agreeable. This is because unlike his many igent imitators he actually looks at ease in his clothes, although he loses marks for the whole tie penis thing.

This is the kind of agreeable jacket that I could never manage myself without looking like an alcoholic secondary school teacher.
Secondary school teachers - alcoholic or otherwise - rarely wear agreeable jackets in expensive tweed these days.

It’s not ‘The Browning Version’ Taplow.

Pimpernel Smith

View attachment 32988

He has appeared elsewhere in this thread but tie salesman Kenji Kaga nearly always looks agreeable. This is because unlike his many igent imitators he actually looks at ease in his clothes, although he loses marks for the whole tie penis thing.

This is the kind of agreeable jacket that I could never manage myself without looking like an alcoholic secondary school teacher.
Exactly. No pretending to pull-off Kabuki moves to demonstrate his latest bespoke neck line lobster back creation like Crompton.

Ulick McGee

Screenshot_20191211-133251.jpg

More Kaga, looking relaxed and agreeable again. No gloves sprouting from pockets, no pretend jacket-buttoning gestures, just nice spacious tailoring. He's a short and short limbed man but never ends up looking like he has an enormous outsized head, as often happens.

Untermensch

View attachment 32989

More Kaga, looking relaxed and agreeable again. No gloves sprouting from pockets, no pretend jacket-buttoning gestures, just nice spacious tailoring. He's a short and short limbed man but never ends up looking like he has an enormous outsized head, as often happens.
It's the lapels on the overcoat.

Speaking of agreeable, which of you is getting the Crompers cardigan this Christmas? It had grown men writing in about cuddling up by the fire drinking cocoa. Talk about a the white male crisis.

This is a cardigan. This is how it should be worn.

Kingstonian

It's the lapels on the overcoat.

Speaking of agreeable, which of you is getting the Crompers cardigan this Christmas? It had grown men writing in about cuddling up by the fire drinking cocoa. Talk about a the white male crisis.

This is a cardigan. This is how it should be worn.

Well it was 12 ply. So maybe Shooman might take a look.

I thought it could be much more outrageously priced though. It’s almost as if Crompton has stopped trying.

Mattrick

The cardigan looks good, but I can't imagine putting it on to deal with a baby and all of the possible mess that goes with that. In fact, if he's wearing that around the house, then he must be stingy with the thermostat.

Ulick McGee

Well it was 12 ply. So maybe Shooman might take a look.

I thought it could be much more outrageously priced though. It’s almost as if Crompton has stopped trying.
For north of 700 quid I would at least have expected an evocatively photographed interview with the master weaver, noting how they downed tools mid morning for a quick lined-out Calvinist psalm in Gaelic.

Untermensch

For north of 700 quid I would at least have expected an evocatively photographed interview with the master weaver, noting how they downed tools mid morning for a quick lined-out Calvinist psalm in Gaelic.
Fellers, I am launching my own Untermensch X Dressedwell cardigan next week. The USP is you can adopt the sheep which provided the wool. We send you a weekly update, with photos and videos.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Fellers, I am launching my own Untermensch X Dressedwell cardigan next week. The USP is you can adopt the sheep which provided the wool. We send you a weekly update, with photos and videos.
In.

Typed as I wear a cardigan.

Ulick McGee

Sheep from the Outer Hebrides, wool dyed in Lyon, cardigan knitted by our army of grannies in Calabria. Profits counted by our army of accountants in London.
I like to wear mine at home, with a fire of best sovereign-grade Polish housecoal, mined from one of the oldest mines in Silesia, while crying into a deep mug of hot chocolate (or Cioccolata Calda, as they say in Italy). Mug by Simon Leach, available in the DW shop.

Kingstonian

Maybe purchasers could see the animal on site? There are already llamas in the UK. Perhaps Kashmir goats could be imported and buyers could comb and supply the material for their cardigan before it gets knitted ?

Untermensch

Maybe purchasers could see the animal on site? There are already llamas in the UK. Perhaps Kashmir goats could be imported and buyers could comb and supply the material for their cardigan before it gets knitted ?
But of course. We'll have a petting zoo. For the grannies too. Whatever floats the buyers' boats.

Pimpernel Smith

Perhaps - I get the feeling the dilapidated academic look has lower status in the UK and Ireland than in the US or Australia. Not that this has stopped me in the past.

In my industry anyone wearing 'country' stuff usually turns out to be a building surveyor. Almost never an architect, never a quantity surveyor or engineer. Probably comes from hanging around rural landowning clients.
The dilapidated academic look does not have status in the UK.

Country is good, but it must be the aristocratic version. That's why Viyella is problematic, don't want to look like you're on the way to the cattle market. You need to look like Kenneth or Alan Clark.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
^
I loath seeing civilians mixing amd matching camouflage uniform items with their clothes, but CSgt Knocker White gets a pass there with his Denison smock in the countryside. Though wearing ribbons like that looks odd without context (presumably he is resting after attending a rural Memorial Day service).

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
^
I loath seeing civilians mixing amd matching camouflage uniform items with their clothes, but CSgt Knocker White gets a pass there with his Denison smock in the countryside. Though wearing ribbons like that looks odd without context (presumably he is resting after attending a rural Memorial Day service).
Dafuq you talking about man.

Pimpernel Smith

^
My understanding he's entitled to retain his rank on civvy street.

Untermensch

^
He's just done his final yomp with the latest intake of Royal Marines.

Pimpernel Smith

Richard Press on Sinatra's love of blue blazers and hues of orange:

formby001

Richard Press on Sinatra's love of blue blazers and hues of orange:

Blue and orange is a nice combination. I often wear a navy suit with an orange/orange accented tie. Very British IMO.

Pimpernel Smith

Blue and orange is a nice combination. I often wear a navy suit with an orange/orange accented tie. Very British IMO.
In the Netherlands, resplendent oranges are reserved for Kings Day. So you need to keep your orange palate dry most of the year, or subdue it. I've got a great beaming T&A orange micro-check shirt that I wear with a Dutch fit William Lockie navy jumper in the winter. With a black or navy knitted tie, it's a good combination.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
In Texas, burnt orange is only ever associated with UT and maroon with A&M. I quite like wearing the latter color, but not having rando strangers woop-wooping at me like I’m their frat buddy.

Top Bottom