Journeyman

Supporter
This is the Seiko chrono with the 30% discount down from 3 grand:
For me, like a lot of Seiko models, it's close but not close enough - there are a couple of niggling, off-putting details.

Why have one, odd-coloured subdial? Why not have all three subdials the same colour?

Also, I don't like date windows at 4 o'clock, and I really don't like little, round date windows at 4 o'clock.

Great White Snark

For me, like a lot of Seiko models, it's close but not close enough - there are a couple of niggling, off-putting details.

Why have one, odd-coloured subdial? Why not have all three subdials the same colour?

Also, I don't like date windows at 4 o'clock, and I really don't like little, round date windows at 4 o'clock.
Fair comments.
I suppose the black trim denotes the chrono functions (tachy scale for seconds hand, minute and hour counters, while the silver main dial and sub dial seconds remain silver for standard time, but I agree it looks weird. Some people don’t even like the idea of any date on a chrono, but it’s hard to place it among three sub dials without looking like a squeezed in afterthought.

Kingstonian

Well if you're not that bothered about watches, then why not.
Even if you are bothered, a Quartz Seiko is accurate and reliable and many of their pieces look good.

You might not get expensive Japanese polishing on the case, or clever manual engineering that gets closer to quartz accuracy - but many are happy to just go with the latest technology anyway.

Pimpernel Smith

Can't argue against personal preference.

Even if you are bothered, a Quartz Seiko is accurate and reliable and many of their pieces look good.

You might not get expensive Japanese polishing on the case, or clever manual engineering that gets closer to quartz accuracy - but many are happy to just go with the latest technology anyway.
The zaratsu polishing is a bugger, as lacking diasheild coating, it scratches like a bugger.

Pimpernel Smith

I'd punch a few G's higher and get a GS.
A GS chronograph is going to cost you about 11 grand plus. Daytona territory. You need to punch quite a few grand above that Seiko chronograph.

I like it, and definitely would buy it, if I wasn't locked into an expensive garden redesign including pod-cum-shed-barbecue-folly. Sadly, the one thing I want: a pond full of koi has been vetoed.

But I figure the overall costs of that Seiko will be a lot cheaper than the pond and the fish.

I need to strike when the moment is right.

formby001

A GS chronograph is going to cost you about 11 grand plus. Daytona territory. You need to punch quite a few grand above that Seiko chronograph.

I like it, and definitely would buy it, if I wasn't locked into an expensive garden redesign including pod-cum-shed-barbecue-folly. Sadly, the one thing I want: a pond full of koi has been vetoed.

But I figure the overall costs of that Seiko will be a lot cheaper than the pond and the fish.

I need to strike when the moment is right.
If you like it, go for it... Fuck the missus and, fuck the Koi carp...[/QUOTE]

Journeyman

Supporter
Sadly, the one thing I want: a pond full of koi has been vetoed.
How would the carp fare over winter? Would you have to heat the pond? Or move the carp to a tank every winter?

Actually, I wonder how the carp survive in Japan, as ponds freeze over there, too.

formby001

How would the carp fare over winter? Would you have to heat the pond? Or move the carp to a tank every winter?

Actually, I wonder how the carp survive in Japan, as ponds freeze over there, too.
Carp are bottom feeders and, very hardy.

Top Bottom