Pimpernel Smith

^ I thought that the person writing the article was waaaay off target - there's no way that Smiley would ever buy a gold Patek, even if he could have afforded it.

Smiley would wear a simple steel watch, in all likelihood - maybe even a Smiths, or a mid-tier Swiss brand that later died off as a result of the quartz revolution. Ann would probably buy him a gold watch - but it wouldn't be a Patek. More likely a Cartier or JLC Reverso engraved with her name (much like the lighter he inadvertently ended up giving to Karla).
It would be something cost effective and indistinct. The modern equivalent would be a Tissot.

One of the commentators has indeed, assigned him a Longines:

AMANI·4 hours ago·edited 3 hours ago
I consider Smiley to be a person who appreciates technology that is both useful and practical in its application. My Smiley owns an 1937 Longines 13ZN chronograph in yellow gold. His example, acquired a year later after the original release date of 1936, was chosen after careful consideration for its horological advancements in movement design and for the information conveyed through the manipulation of the chronograph function. The dial has a white face with red and blue text including a telemeter scale. The 3 O'clock sub-register has the standout markings for 3, 6, and 9 minutes indicating varying charges for telephone calls. At 37.5 mm it was a perfect daily companion that met sartorial prerequisites while also gaining admiration from associates who had an appreciation for horology and luxury timepieces of the day. The telemeter scale would have appealed to Smiley's intellect having studied historic wars and battle tactics and being fully aware of how the scale was applied in the field in WW1. The 3, 6 and 9 minute call charge bands would have recently been released and Smiley would have handpicked his example to ensure he had this feature on his wrist. In his line of work he would have been required on a regular basis to make calls from home and public phone boxes rendering this feature as indispensable. Smiley would have extracted the deepest pleasure upon executing the chronograph function while the timepiece was carefully placed by the poolside so as to measure his lap times. As a tinkerer, a former soldier (as referenced by Le Carré) and an expert on spies, Smiley would have carefully tailored all his personal items to meet his exacting standards. 🧐 👉 ✌

In present times, a Rolex would be handy in case you needed to liquidate it quickly for ready cash or a passage out of country. But the problem there of course, new assets will automatically think they get one too.

did you buy it or are you just trying it on?
I bought it complete with faux yet unique patina.

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter
this is surprisingly not too bad looking

victorinox makes some pretty decent watches for the price

Pimpernel Smith

Was coming off the motorway this morning and there was a massive billboard sign advertising Bulova's Fly Me To The Moon Sinatra watch:

Oris has been there before and the Bulova's don't look that enticing. But the billboard sign with Sinatra looked great. I am very glad that in this age of virtue signalling and the Twitterati, that Sinatra still has pulling power and iconic presence. Made my morning that.

Great White Snark

If I was the ghost of Sinatra (or McQueen, or Grant ...) I wonder how I’d feel about my earthly image being used to flog some crap I had no say about and possibly wouldn’t have had anything to do with if I was still shuffling around the mortal coil.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
The Sinatra signature on the dial is fully and completely tacky.

Great White Snark

Like Great White Snark Great White Snark I wonder what Sinatra would think about being associated with garbage.
There’s a story that when Nancy said she wanted to be a singer, Ol’ Blue Eyes gave her one piece of advice: “Make sure you own your master tapes”
I think he did a lot of work behind the scenes to obtain ownership of his own, so now his family / estate controls how often they release his posthumous records in order to not saturate the market. Whether they are also responsible for this watch and similar kinds of thing I have no idea.

Same with those Oliver Peoples Cary Grant sunglasses which were made with the cooperation of his widow and daughter - supposedly the first time his name has been put to anything since he died.

I think Elvis’ estate is mostly administered by his wife and daughter. I have no idea about Steve McQueen. I‘ve heard about certain people (Tupac? Michael Jackson?) being revived on stage with the power of holograms - can’t help but wonder what the deceased would think of that kind of thing.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Good old gypsys haven't lost their touch.

There's several vintage Longines in the next Bonhams watch auction you may be interested in.

Pimpernel Smith

There’s a story that when Nancy said she wanted to be a singer, Ol’ Blue Eyes gave her one piece of advice: “Make sure you own your master tapes”
I think he did a lot of work behind the scenes to obtain ownership of his own, so now his family / estate controls how often they release his posthumous records in order to not saturate the market. Whether they are also responsible for this watch and similar kinds of thing I have no idea.

Same with those Oliver Peoples Cary Grant sunglasses which were made with the cooperation of his widow and daughter - supposedly the first time his name has been put to anything since he died.

I think Elvis’ estate is mostly administered by his wife and daughter. I have no idea about Steve McQueen. I‘ve heard about certain people (Tupac? Michael Jackson?) being revived on stage with the power of holograms - can’t help but wonder what the deceased would think of that kind of thing.
I'm intrigued that one of Sinatra's finest albums, The Concert Sinatra, recorded on eight track 35mm film tape hasn't had extensive releases and remastering compared to his other albums. Nancy Sinatra is quoted as saying it is her favorite Sinatra album.

Pimpernel Smith

Timefactors reedition Navigator MK11 in black or white dial:

''During 1941 an investigation was conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of bombing raids over a 52 day period. This investigation revealed that only a quarter of bombers reporting hits on target were actually on target and that 95% of those that missed, missed by more than 5 miles.

At this time there was no GPS and most navigation carried out was by "dead reckoning", calculated by journey start and end points, bearing, speed and elapsed time. Timepieces in use at this time were not sturdy or accurate enough to produce reliable results, mainly due to high magnetic fields from the map painting radar screens used in aircraft. In 1946 or 47 the RAF decided that they needed a more reliable timepiece and the Air Ministry approached Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Ltd to specify and acquire a high quality watch. The main specifications were chronometer grade, high anti-magnetic properties (12,000A/m) and good legibility. Two companies eventually won the tender to supply, International Watch Company (IWC) and Jaeger LeCoultre (JLC) and the watches, both designated Mk 11, entered service in 1949.

Mk 11 is the Air Ministry designation for the watch, it is not a manufacturer's model number.

Both had long, slender hands but proved difficult to read in low-light conditions and so in 1952 the hands of the IWC were changed to improve legibility by the introduction of a shorter and thicker hour hand.

The Smiths Navigator is a faithful revival of the Mk 11, using the original Air Ministry specification but with higher anti-magnetic properties (20,000A/m) and sapphire crystal.''

Pimpernel Smith

Not quite luxury, but plenty of provenance before the young whipper snapper stole the title:

Edit - Sack the proofreader and editor:
Hamilton also claims to be Hollywood's go-to watch brand for movies, since one of the timepieces first appeared in 1932 in the Marlene Dietrich movie 'Shanghai Express'.

Ten years later, Elvis Presley wore the firm's Ventura watch in his musical comedy Blue Hawaii.
UNQUOTE

Last edited:
Top Bottom