formby002

Having looked at their history, they appear to be suppliers very similar to CWC/Cabot Watch Company who currently supply the Royal Navy divers and the SBS. Imagine buying CWC and turning it into a prestigious brand based on their military contract.
They supplied the Italian Navy as said, but they turned to Rolex/swiss movement manufacturer to supply the movements. They don't have any history pre-late 1990s of Haute horology. In fact, as that article suggests, they don't have any now.

Pure marketing bullshit.

Enrile

IMG_20210508_222944_959.jpg

florisgreen

That's a very nice watch but, whilst the strap is nice I don't think it suits the watch. The contrast stitching is better suited to a less dressy style.

In general I would agree about this, though the watch looks great to me on that strap.

formby002

A beautiful tool watch, this Panerai Submersible in Recycled titanium. Also the most of the other materials are recycled. It will be released as a 30 pc limited edition at $60,000 in 2022.

At that price point it's difficult to think of many fans fighting to get one, but the basic idea is good, let's see if other brands will follow.

View attachment 40588View attachment 40589View attachment 40590

Here more about: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/panerai-submersible-elab-id-introducing
Made out of recycled metal! How amazing.

You haven't got an original thought in your head. You come across like one of those AI machines they use in the news.

...or a tr.....

Last edited:

Pimpernel Smith

They supplied the Italian Navy as said, but they turned to Rolex/swiss movement manufacturer to supply the movements. They don't have any history pre-late 1990s of Haute horology. In fact, as that article suggests, they don't have any now.

Pure marketing bullshit.
But they do offer a 70 year guarantee now...
A beautiful tool watch, this Panerai Submersible in Recycled titanium. Also the most of the other materials are recycled. It will be released as a 30 pc limited edition at $60,000 in 2022.

At that price point it's difficult to think of many fans fighting to get one, but the basic idea is good, let's see if other brands will follow.

View attachment 40588View attachment 40589View attachment 40590

Here more about: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/panerai-submersible-elab-id-introducing
Recycled titanium and plastic, hmmm, that's a mighty expensive toy watch.

There's a few brands offering watches made of recycled material. Bit gimmicky for my liking. But the design of Panerai is quite aesthetically pleasing, but they're getting hammered on the forums and elsewhere.

Pimpernel Smith

Think this version of the Oris 65, bit more expensive than the Seiko, is also a contender for best entry level diver sports watch:

17601015_1_640.png

Journeyman

Supporter
For sure it is not, that spot is firmly held by the Submariner.

The Submariner can't be entry level, for the simple reason that it's impossible to get hold of one unless you either buy 15 other watches you don't want in order to build "a relationship" with the Rolex authorised dealer, or pay more than twice the retail price to buy one on the "grey" market.

florisgreen

The Submariner can't be entry level, for the simple reason that it's impossible to get hold of one unless you either buy 15 other watches you don't want in order to build "a relationship" with the Rolex authorised dealer, or pay more than twice the retail price to buy one on the "grey" market.

Also at the regular retail price, the Submariner is a luxury watch.

güero

That’s not true. You might have to wait a few weeks or even months, depending on how well connected the concessionaire is, but you‘ll certainly get one.

Pimpernel Smith

All this reseller price increases is insane. I sense a saturation/inflection point may be reached and suddenly it's the emperor's new clothes as everyone realises these watches, whilst great quality and design, are as common as muck. But until then, Rolexes remain the reserve currency and liquid asset across all borders for those who need to resort to such tactics.

That in itself, is a risk.
Also at the regular retail price, the Submariner is a luxury watch.
The Submariner can be considered an entry level watch to the luxury world when compared with say a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.

florisgreen

The Oris Sixty-Five Caliber 400 Limited Edition for Hodinkee looks absolutely stunning to me:

OrisHodinkeeLE2-A_1600x1600.jpg
OrisHodinkeeLE2-Closeup_1600x1600.jpg
OrisHodinkeeLE2-C_1600x1600.jpg
12_1600x1600.jpg
2_750316ba-4bcb-43a3-9707-9b5874a568ec_1600x1600.jpg
OrisHodinkeeLE2-Lifestyle-Box_1600x1600.jpg

It features the new self-winding Caliber 400 with 5 days power in a perfect 38mm case. Beautiful retro look with a matt forest green dial and a contdown bezel with aluminium black insert. The absence of a date makes the look just perfect. 400 pieces at $3,800 available at Hodinkee.

Journeyman

Supporter
100k for a 5711. What a world.

View attachment 40745

Yes, crazy stuff.

What is even more bizarre is that the precious metal versions, and the versions with complications, are usually slightly cheaper. Not actually cheap, by any means, but in Australia people are selling the precious metal with complication versions for under AUD$100,000, whereas the plain, stainless steel 5711 sells for AUD$140,000 or more.

What makes it even crazier is that back in 2014, one of my friends purchased one from a Patek Philippe store, without waiting, for the recommended retail price or maybe even slightly below it. Within a few years, the mania hit and he told me that even though he could triple his money, he wouldn't sell the watch because he'd never be able to afford to buy another Nautilus if he sold it.

florisgreen

Yes, crazy stuff.

What is even more bizarre is that the precious metal versions, and the versions with complications, are usually slightly cheaper. Not actually cheap, by any means, but in Australia people are selling the precious metal with complication versions for under AUD$100,000, whereas the plain, stainless steel 5711 sells for AUD$140,000 or more.

Yes, a little bizarre. We have to consider however that the Nautilus was born as a steel sports watch, and for many this is the one and only version. If I had the money necessary, I would only consider the steel one.

Last edited:

Great White Snark

The Oris Sixty-Five Caliber 400 Limited Edition for Hodinkee looks absolutely stunning to me:

View attachment 40716View attachment 40717View attachment 40718View attachment 40719View attachment 40720View attachment 40721

It features the new self-winding Caliber 400 with 5 days power in a perfect 38mm case. Beautiful retro look with a matt forest green dial and a contdown bezel with aluminium black insert. The absence of a date makes the look just perfect. 400 pieces at $3,800 available at Hodinkee.
Seiko doesn’t consider a watch a ‘diver’ unless it has 200m WR.
Also countdown bezels are shit!

florisgreen

Within a few years, the mania hit and he told me that even though he could triple his money, he wouldn't sell the watch because he'd never be able to afford to buy another Nautilus if he sold it.

This makes the difference between a real watch lover and a speculator.

florisgreen

Seiko doesn’t consider a watch a ‘diver’ unless it has 200m WR.
Also countdown bezels are shit!

I would agree that 100 m water resistance sounds not impressive and a "real" Diver has to go deeper.
On the other side the fewer of us will ever dive at that depth, probably the most will use it just for swimming, if ever.

Top Bottom