walker

Ratings
well, literally I have a flat-rate watch budget of 1k/year atm. I haven't used much of it over the last several years, though.

actually, I love the divers as I live by a lake and water resistance is a big plus, easy peasy. also, the entry level divers from seiko e.g. skx007, 009 and the citizen ny004 have reached cult-status among watch collectors. you can't really go wrong with them.

the chronomaster seems like the link to the GS quartz but reasonably cheaper, but then I have a few vintage dress watches with sentimental value. this chapter is closed. no cravings here.

Looks pretty good to me, along with the Seiko divers you can't go wrong.

I like these Citizen's the Chronomaster only available in Japan on the grey market and the Eco-One super svelte wafer:

View attachment 31096
View attachment 31097

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
Gorgeous!

How hard is it to source fresh tritium over there?
Er, I dunno', but I thought the whole tritium thing was about letting it age and gain a rich non-glowing patina so you could prove it was decades old?

The CWC mechanical watches are all, from my experience, unregulated movements, so the time keeping is awful. That's why I am getting it regulated. The one I posted is also plexi-glass which is not the way to go if you have a choice. If you want a CWC G10 this is the one to go for with 200m water resistance:

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections/general-service-watches/products/cwc-gs-sapphire-watch-silver

well, literally I have a flat-rate watch budget of 1k/year atm. I haven't used much of it over the last several years, though.

actually, I love the divers as I live by a lake and water resistance is a big plus, easy peasy. also, the entry level divers from seiko e.g. skx007, 009 and the citizen ny004 have reached cult-status among watch collectors. you can't really go wrong with them.

the chronomaster seems like the link to the GS quartz but reasonably cheaper, but then I have a few vintage dress watches with sentimental value. this chapter is closed. no cravings here.
I have a couple of Seiko divers and the GS 9F quartz, but in 37mm doesn't quite work on a male wrist at that size. Better with a leather strap. Anyway, took delivery of a bit of Seiko magic today, will post tomorrow. Situation in my household isn't great this evening.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ratings
Why don’t they put the broad arrow proof on those CWC G10s?

I’ll take clean and functional over aged patias and rust, but each to their own.

Last edited:

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
Why don’t they put the broad arrow proof on those CWC G10s?

I’ll take clean and functional over aged patina sand rust, but each to their own.
As they're not being supplied to NATO?

Finally got my hands on one of the last SARB065's, the original Seiko Cocktail Time with the better 6R15 movement and smaller crown to the Presage version:

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

Verdict: I can see why it has become a sub $500 design classic. It has presence in abundance and whilst the patent leather strap does look a bit like plastic in certain light, the leather itself is good quality as is the clasp. The sundail and metallic blue effect on the dial is very pleasing to the eye. Will consider replacing the leather strap with a mesh bracelet, plenty of good examples of this on the internet. It's a beater and a keeper!

Journeyman

Supporter
Ratings
Finally got my hands on one of the last SARB065's, the original Seiko Cocktail Time with the better 6R15 movement and smaller crown to the Presage version:
Very nice indeed. I'd definitely get rid of the plastic-looking strap, but I think that it suits a strap rather than a Milanese bracelet. Perhaps a croc or lizard strap in a deep navy?

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
Very nice indeed. I'd definitely get rid of the plastic-looking strap, but I think that it suits a strap rather than a Milanese bracelet. Perhaps a croc or lizard strap in a deep navy?
Sound advice I think.

Are you saying the Smiths’ repro watches are being issued now?
No, the broad arrow, unlike the Crown logo, is not protected. Anyone can use it.

walker

Ratings
Whatever leather it is, it looks like patent plastic! Smells nice though.
I assume the smell comes from the lining. it is likely cavalry calf, which is great to work on and puts shell to shame, when done correctly.

nevertheless, I'm with the exotic leather fraction also, as I can see a milanaise working on this piece.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
I got rid of the Seiko MM 300 awhile back and then instantly regretted it. There was a number of things I didn't quite like about it: the bracelet and the case were just a tad too large and chunky for my taste and to be considered a dressy diver. Plus the Grand Seiko movement which is un-regulated was losing consistently 25 seconds a day. I did like the dial as an updated Willard vibe and Seiko's answer to the Rolex Submariner. The new Seiko SBDC061 is in my opinion better styled on the case and bracelet and just my luck, one of the watch guys here had just taken delivery of an SBDC061 moded to a ''baby'' MM:
IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

Journeyman

Supporter
Ratings
^That looks nice. My one dislike about quite a few of Seiko's dive watches is the "stubby arrow" hour hand. Changing the hand out makes it look much, much better.

walker

Ratings
actually, I didn't know that the stubby hand is functional, I just found out, when I did the research about the fugu(above)

The hour hand is allowed to be less distinct, as it is relatively less important during dives to see the hour.
source:
https://deployant.com/review-the-return-of-the-fugu-citizen-promaster-ny008-aka-fugu/

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
considering this:

original condition, marks on the dial and dial bezel slightly faded

fully serviced recently
View attachment 31135
My father had the blue dial version of the Pogue and I think he got it in '79/80. I remember him telling me it was an astronaut watch.

I like the Flash Gordon one too, but it would need to be mint immaculate to interest me. I've only ever seen one or two, one was from a seller on ebay in Argentina. So I gave it a miss, but looked legit and went for several hundred dollars.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings

prince nez

Supporter
Ratings
As they're not being supplied to NATO?

View attachment 31102

View attachment 31101

View attachment 31103

View attachment 31104

View attachment 31105

View attachment 31106

Verdict: I can see why it has become a sub $500 design classic. It has presence in abundance and whilst the patent leather strap does look a bit like plastic in certain light, the leather itself is good quality as is the clasp. The sundail and metallic blue effect on the dial is very pleasing to the eye. Will consider replacing the leather strap with a mesh bracelet, plenty of good examples of this on the internet. It's a beater and a keeper!
Please not to drop it from great height and then complain about it not working, then Dutch Seiko servicing...

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
I have it on good authority that the story ended with an ice pipe and a shootout on Venice Beach.
But what happened to the watch? Did that dastardly Seiko Boutique Amsterdam ever get it fixed for him?

I suppose the lesson is never let it get to that state in the first place. Never, ever put your watch on in a bathroom with cold and hard marble flooring.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
I've decided I want to get a used Omega Speedmaster and a Tag Heuer Monaco Steve McQueen as these have always been on my own list. I'll probably get sick of them eventually but what the hell. Any suggestions on where to source them for a decent price. And also which of the 9000 models of speedys to look for. The fucking Tag is up to $6k retail now. Just insane inflation on these watches lately.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Supporter
Ratings
The fucking Tag is up to $6k retail now. Just insane inflation on these watches lately.
Precisely why I wouldn't bother.

There's been huge inflation in the prices of quite a lot of watches over the past 10 years, and particularly the past 5 or so years. Watches - and watch collecting - have become trendy and Instagram and other social media have really driven the trend, too.

I'd just steer away from the pieces that have inflated in price and look for other models.

Ratings
Precisely why I wouldn't bother.

There's been huge inflation in the prices of quite a lot of watches over the past 10 years, and particularly the past 5 or so years. Watches - and watch collecting - have become trendy and Instagram and other social media have really driven the trend, too.

I'd just steer away from the pieces that have inflated in price and look for other models.
According to my watch man the demographic who previously would have bought Rolex are now buying Tudor. I certainly noticed a Rolex fad going on in the UK during my last visit. A bit like in Italy in the 2000's when you would get on the plane every Italian male would seemingly have a vintage Oyster on.

walker

Ratings
according to my own observations, panda dial daytonas didn't take off the shelves, newman or not, you have something, if you own one today, go figure. I don't unfortunately ...

ps: gianni was a role model for every eyetalian, who could barely afford a crown ..., true story. I dated an eyetalian lady once ...

According to my watch man the demographic who previously would have bought Rolex are now buying Tudor. I certainly noticed a Rolex fad going on in the UK during my last visit. A bit like in Italy in the 2000's when you would get on the plane every Italian male would seemingly have a vintage Oyster on.

formby

Ratings
I've decided I want to get a used Omega Speedmaster and a Tag Heuer Monaco Steve McQueen as these have always been on my own list. I'll probably get sick of them eventually but what the hell. Any suggestions on where to source them for a decent price. And also which of the 9000 models of speedys to look for. The fucking Tag is up to $6k retail now. Just insane inflation on these watches lately.
Just buy a brand new Moonwatch.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Ratings
Just buy a brand new Moonwatch.
Pretty much what formby says. You can't go wrong with the Moonwatch.

I really dig the DSOTM, but it's more niche and more expensive.

formby

Ratings
Pretty much what formby says. You can't go wrong with the Moonwatch.

I really dig the DSOTM, but it's more niche and more expensive.
The only thing that turns some off the Moon is that its a manual wind. Doesn't bother me, in fact I find the thought of having to manually set, and wind one's watch rather soothing, a personal rebellion against the constant onslaught of the smart device, which seems more and more to be a means of enslavement rather than emancipation.

Top Bottom