doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Ratings
The only thing that turns some off the Moon is that its a manual wind. Doesn't bother me, in fact I find the thought of having to manually set, and wind one's watch rather soothing, a personal rebellion against the constant onslaught of the smart device, which seems more and more to be a means of enslavement rather than emancipation.
I quite agree. But then again I'm the person who doesn't have a Facebook app and still reads real newspapers.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
Precisely why I wouldn't bother.

There's been huge inflation in the prices of quite a lot of watches over the past 10 years, and particularly the past 5 or so years. Watches - and watch collecting - have become trendy and Instagram and other social media have really driven the trend, too.

I'd just steer away from the pieces that have inflated in price and look for other models.
that's why i'm only looking used. i don't need a brand new watch. i've seen some used in the $3k range and below, so that's not too terrible.
despite it is looking stupid, what is a shroud on seiko divers good for?
only cosmetics
Just buy a brand new Moonwatch.
which model is that? i'm only going used
Pretty much what formby says. You can't go wrong with the Moonwatch.

I really dig the DSOTM, but it's more niche and more expensive.
there are so many omega's floating around the second hand market it seems kind of dumb to buy a new one.

formby

Ratings
The Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch

Here: https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/speedmaster/moonwatch/professional/product

Its available with the original Hesalite (Plexiglas) crystal or a Sapphire crystal which is more expensive. In the UK its comes in a presentation case with extra goodies. About £3.5k for the Hesalite. and about £4k for the Sapphire.

Given that you will get full warranty and at that price I wouldn't bother going used.

Great watch and should be in everyone's collection.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
The Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch

Here: https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/speedmaster/moonwatch/professional/product

Its available with the original Hesalite (Plexiglas) crystal or a Sapphire crystal which is more expensive. In the UK its comes in a presentation case with extra goodies. About £3.5k for the Hesalite. and about £4k for the Sapphire.

Given that you will get full warranty and at that price I wouldn't bother going used.

Great watch and should be in everyone's collection.
for $5+k retail plus tax i think i can probably save $2k after market.

walker

Ratings
for $5+k retail plus tax i think i can probably save $2k after market.
consider the new one has an ugly bracelet on top, your target price is sufficient to find a nice one. good luck.

edit: Rambo Rambo my speedmaster is from 94, bracelet ref. 1450/808 end links, watch reference 345.0809, really good looking.

Last edited:

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ratings
Dammit Pimp. I was quite happy with my Hamilton and Flieger until you opened my eyes to the world of Brit military watches! I really don't need another watch. I didn't get a watch issued in my army days, but I still gravitate to anything with the broad arrow proof or an NSN.

I may pick-up the Timefactors repro to celebrate a work promotion next year, but right now I'm looking the CWCs from the 1980s. Not a fan of the 70s shape, though they are proofed. But the early 80s 'fatboy' is still rather elegant and then there is even a 2006 for sale - last of the Tritiums.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
Timefactors are interesting, but I think those 36mm's might be a tad small on the wrist for modern taste.

CWC too the proverbial a bit with the steep hike in prices, especially on the limited re-editions. The G10 Quartz with the 200m rating is doable. I was thinking of getting one.

Last edited:

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ratings
The 36mm is growing on me the more I look at it. On a NATO strap it doesn't look so small and has a refreshingly vintage, old world look to it that stands out from the other watches I own.

There's a 2006 CWC on eBay for about a hundred bucks that I think I'll take a punt on.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
The 36mm is growing on me the more I look at it. On a NATO strap it doesn't look so small and has a refreshingly vintage, old world look to it that stands out from the other watches I own.

There's a 2006 CWC on eBay for about a hundred bucks that I think I'll take a punt on.
I would go for the Eddie Platts, Timefactors, before the CWC.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ratings
Thanks. I do kinda like the Pulsar’s less busy dial and date window.

For anyone else reading this how didn’t know about Brit mil watches,l:

C509123E-6513-4710-A0F1-E114087160DC.jpeg
FF84F301-5523-4CD6-8A95-19BDDE7B2E08.jpeg
222FE48D-515D-4C72-8D72-992B2B279B4D.jpeg

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ratings
Weird. I could’ve sworn it said OOS this morning. Thanks.

I’d like to see it in person, but I rather like the idea of 36mm to differentiate it from my bulkier Hamilton.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ratings
There’s a lightly used Speedbird I on US eBay right now. If these kids ever stop draining my wallet for a spell, I might get that or the Timefactors W10 homage. I can’t really justify a genuine Smiths right now, though I’d prefer something with a bit of history to it.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
back on the hunt for the speedy. i've found a few used models for around $3200. one purchased in 2016 which seemed not too bad. kind of hard to make out the condition of the hesalite in the photos though.

lowest retail i can find is around $3750. which isn't bad i guess.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
back on the hunt for the speedy. i've found a few used models for around $3200. one purchased in 2016 which seemed not too bad. kind of hard to make out the condition of the hesalite in the photos though.

lowest retail i can find is around $3750. which isn't bad i guess.
The prices of Speedys on the second hand market have shot-up tremendously of late.

Kingstonian

Ratings
Good looking mechanical watches are like vintage automobiles to me. Lovely to look at but I don’t want the expense of owning one. Swiss craftsmen don’t come cheap and when servicing is an in-house monopoly it is even more costly.

I am almost starting to grudge the cost of the quartz battery. Solar power for me. Buy it and forget it.

As for Seiko, their watches never scream ‘look-at-me’. Grand Seiko is just as understated as the quartz models. Nothing wrong with that but it means the status symbol value is less obvious.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
Good looking mechanical watches are like vintage automobiles to me. Lovely to look at but I don’t want the expense of owning one. Swiss craftsmen don’t come cheap and when servicing is an in-house monopoly it is even more costly.

I am almost starting to grudge the cost of the quartz battery. Solar power for me. Buy it and forget it.

As for Seiko, their watches never scream ‘look-at-me’. Grand Seiko is just as understated as the quartz models. Nothing wrong with that but it means the status symbol value is less obvious.
I'm pretty much turned-off by the whole luxury watch kudos fad at the moment. Not only because I can't afford one, but it's gone mainstream and it's become de rigueur in places like the UK to have a vintage luxury watch on that you can pretend was handed down to you.

Seiko have been more successful, than say Citizen, in exploiting new markets in the West above and beyond cheep and cheery watches you wouldn't want to be seen wearing. The status is of course much less obvious, when you're up against Swiss watch makers, but amongst horologists Seiko is pretty much respected. I'm looking forward tp 6139 re-edition(s) if it comes out next year, in the right price range:

https://www.plus9time.com/blog/2018/10/6/seiko-baselworld-2019-predictions

walker

Ratings
What does this mean?
nothing of importance ..., btw, unfortunately there are no watch collectors in my rural town, so the chances are low to find a vintage collectible watches in a dumpster, nevertheless, it is not my territory. noted, it is reserved for the milkcoffee from oz. thank you.

walker

Ratings
The prices of Speedys on the second hand market have shot-up tremendously of late.
Depends on the vintage, imo. the recent LE's are through the roof, though. plus the irony, most of them come on straps and/or nato. bracelet(s) are an extra expense, wtf.

still, there are plenty in the budget of 3 - 3.5k around.

Kingstonian

Ratings
Seiko have been more successful, than say Citizen, in exploiting new markets in the West above and beyond cheep and cheery watches you wouldn't want to be seen wearing. The status is of course much less obvious, when you're up against Swiss watch makers, but amongst horologists Seiko is pretty much respected.
You will never get mugged in the street for your Grand Seiko either, unlike Rolex or Hublot etc.

Kingstonian

Ratings
I actually live in London.

So I don’t need a foreigner to advise me on crime in the capital, thank you very much :-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44415533

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...her-children-and-dog-in-clapham-a3889936.html

It https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tacked-hammer-wielding-moped-gang-London.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/31/database-aims-counter-surge-luxury-watch-thefts/

Watch mugging used to be a thing years ago. Recently it has made a big comeback. Even motorists are targeted in their cars on London’s roads. Rolex is the main target.

Top Bottom