Kingstonian

Urban gentry chap is borrowing a $125,000 Patek Philippe. Not really my cup of tea. Don’t like the hands, or the crappy enamel world map. Still, now he works for a watch company he gets more expensive pieces to promote.

Kingstonian

Do you like it $16,000?
No. Out of my price range.

You can get a Jaeger le Coultre for around £6000 new or a Patek Calatrava for £16000. Both of those are also out of my price range, but you do get an upmarket brand name for that money though little water resistance, shock proofing etc. Dress watches - less costs more.

Pimpernel Smith

Just back from a service and polish of the plexi-glass, the thinking man's beater of choice, the CWC G10 with premium now paid for Tritium lume:

IMG_2172.JPG
:

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Just back from a service and polish of the plexi-glass, the thinking man's beater of choice,

View attachment 32279:
Looking good, PS. As happy as I am with my IWC, I’d still love to own a broad arrow watch.

with premium now paid for Tritium lume :
Wait, does that mean you got it re-lumed? Or that the tritium is dead? I know you watch dudes dig the whole ‘patina’ thing with dead lume, but I’ve relumed enough old battle sights that I’d be willing to bet you could still get that thing glowing like Chernobyl at Christmas if you wanted.

Last edited:

Pimpernel Smith

Looking good, PS. As happy as I am with my IWC, I’d still love to own a broad arrow watch.

Wait, does that mean you got it re-lumed? Or that the tritium is dead? I know you watch hues dig the whole ‘patina’ thing with dead lume, but I’ve relumed enough old battle sights that I’d be willing to be you could still get that thing glowing like Chernobyl at Christmas if you wanted.
I didn't get it re-lumed, especially as in the second-hand market the aged-non-glowing versions are prized. Stupid prices for these wind-up G10's nearly GBP 500, I paid GBP 225 about 2012 for mine brand new. A bit silly, also the recent price hikes on CWC watches are taking the proverbial i.e. the 1970s spec RAF pilots chronograph was GBP 900 a couple years ago, now it's GBP 2.250. They're pushing it, but some of the re-edition divers are nice, but way over priced.

Last edited:

Pimpernel Smith

There's still the Eddie Platts/Precista broad arrow version available for GBP195 which is excellent value:

Precista.png

The new homage to Paul Newman's Daytona beats the Steinhart version too:

daytona.png

The Smiths PRS29-AM is pretty sweet too compared to the Longines more costly alternative:

untitled4.png

Kingstonian

Another interesting watch blogger - Paul Thorpe. He has some good tales even though he has a geezer/wide boy image. Looking good for his age- he started in the watch business in 1975, but his recent tattoos and heavy inking would have put me off going into his shop.

Particularly good video about why he retired. Servicing costs that are more than I would pay to buy a watch keep me out of this field. This man’s stories about robbery reinforces my prejudice. I like the watches but I don’t want the responsibility of owning one. Status symbol value is outweighed by robbery risk. Even inexpensive mechanical watches of no interest to thieves are a hassle and servicing costs are not proportionately less than the expensive brands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4dgE72QvE8

Pimpernel Smith

Interesting! Is this a modern homage of an old Smiths release or is it a homage of Longines?
They're both re-editions/intepretations of a WII RAF spec'd watch. You find that these watches were made by a number of different manufacturers, but to similar or the same specifications. Both Smiths and Longines were around at the time and making military watches for the Allies with Longines having the Wittnauer brand for marking in the USA.

What I didn't know is that Smiths is still going, but with the watch making side disbanded in the 1970s and then the brand name purchased by Eddie Platts of Timefactors.

Size wise, the Smiths will be closer to the WII sizes of 33-36mm.

Great White Snark

The attraction of those boring-ass watches leaves me completely baffled. Unless you’re into that ‘norm core’ scene (such as I understand it) they look as dull as shit to me.

Pimpernel Smith

Another interesting watch blogger - Paul Thorpe. He has some good tales even though he has a geezer/wide boy image. Looking good for his age- he started in the watch business in 1975, but his recent tattoos and heavy inking would have put me off going into his shop.

Particularly good video about why he retired. Servicing costs that are more than I would pay to buy a watch keep me out of this field. This man’s stories about robbery reinforces my prejudice. I like the watches but I don’t want the responsibility of owning one. Status symbol value is outweighed by robbery risk. Even inexpensive mechanical watches of no interest to thieves are a hassle and servicing costs are not proportionately less than the expensive brands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4dgE72QvE8
I've watched a few of his now, Sounds pretty dreadful from a security angle. But you see all the time in news people getting the Rolex's robbed when they get into the wrong taxi here in Amsterdam. Individuals selling the expensive Rolex they've inherited only for some armed gangsters turn up at their house. It seems to be exclusively Rolexes that the criminal class desire.

The big thing here in The Netherlands is to make sure you don't make the top 500 list of rich people as you and your family become targets for kidnapping and you have to start to take security precautions. The Accountants we use are involved in this business. There's various vehicles you can use to hide from the public your super rich status. He told me a story of someone who made a mistake with his filing and suddenly he's high up in the list and all the kids and teachers in the school where his wife works as a primarily school teacher suddenly are aware that she's mega rich. Apparently this chap is relocating to Switzerland because of the unwarranted attention.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Shit, Seiko going in on a bluesy. Not sure how I feel about this.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
For Dropbear. Timex is doing militaresque collaborations with Nigel Cabourn

1563142132373.png

Tod Snyder x Timex too.
1563142218414.png

Kingstonian

neither of these are terrible for under $100
The Snyder is the nicer of the two. The Cabourne backstory - Scunthorpe and football referees - will not get those pieces flying of the shelves.

Also no indiglo? That is usually quite a big positive for Timex.

Kingstonian

There's still the Eddie Platts/Precista broad arrow version available for GBP195 which is excellent value:

View attachment 32293
It is a more sensible price if you want a military watch, though it is a quartz. They also offer an automatic diver for around £400. Precista Company history is a bit sketchy though if provenance is important to you.

For similar money Tissot Visodate looks good in silver version not the cheaper one with a black logo. Or a quartz Junghans Max Bill.

I am not in the market myself though.

Kingstonian

My first watch - a boys watch - was a Timex. For me, that does the brand no favours. It is still something to move on from.

Going back to Precista, that Royal Navy diver around £400 should be right up your street PS. You have no issues with automatics. It has a genuine military pedigree. Beautiful uncluttered face but it says ‘GREAT BRITAIN’ at the bottom. What’s not to like?

Got to be better than a Tudor Black Bay, or the latest trendy dive watch.

Pimpernel Smith

My first watch - a boys watch - was a Timex. For me, that does the brand no favours. It is still something to move on from.

Going back to Precista, that Royal Navy diver around £400 should be right up your street PS. You have no issues with automatics. It has a genuine military pedigree. Beautiful uncluttered face but it says ‘GREAT BRITAIN’ at the bottom. What’s not to like?

Got to be better than a Tudor Black Bay, or the latest trendy dive watch.
Tudor have upped their prices significantly recently, right put me off!

The Precista is tempting, but I have enough divers for now. I'm actually in the market for a tank/reverso style watch, but not luxury priced. The best affordable ones seem to be by the quintessentially marketed for the English, Rotary:

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture8.JPG

Capturehhhh.JPG

Capture44.JPG

GS05280-01-B-ok.jpg

showcase2.png

Like Timex in the States, they seem like a blast from the archaic past and almost forgotten in cheap and cheery land. I remember them being popular in the 1970s and my uncle had a wafer watch of theirs which they still do. In amongst the watches that your great aunt might like, they do have some watches that look good, but almost too cheap to be decent quality. Then they have some that are priced in the Seiko Presage range which are likely decent. I may yet take a chance on one of their Reverso type on Chrono24.

Kingstonian

Yes Rotary does seem a High Street brand from back in the day. They offer more rectangular watches than other brands too.

Top Bottom