Journeyman

Supporter
I just looked at the Hodinkee review of the watch and although it doesn't say it in the review, a comment by Jack Forster (the author of the review) in the comments section states that the original watch was also 43mm. It may have been based on a pocket watch movement which, of course, would have made it larger than your average watch at the time.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Interesting. Still think its probably too big for the aesthetic it's going for.

güero

Isn't that quite typical for the first military watches? Some of the old Pilot watches are ~50-55mm. Still unfortunate though.

walker

Pimpernel Smith and all

despite it is french and the stupid name, I consider the black friday offer for the superman mysterious blue, thoughts?

yema Mysterious_Blue.png

Last edited:

Kingstonian

despite it is french and the stupid name, I consider the black friday offer for the superman mysterious blue, thoughts?

View attachment 32857
It is a French brand with good sales. The watches look fine. Quartz would be my choice but the nice lagoon colour is automatic only.

I would go for it if you are happy with a mechanical watch. ETA movement will be easy enough to service.

shookt

Looks good! I believe the movement is French (MBP 1000) rather than ETA, but I'm guessing still easy enough to service.

walker

A friend of mine has his fortis serviced. I have to admit, that I wasn't aware that they make interesting and/or collectible pieces, hmmh.

alright, now the service charge is climbing into rolex territory and I was surprised again. he mentioned the lemania 5100 is difficult to work on. can someone give insight here? marking Pimpernel Smith for reference, check.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Supporter
Pimpernel Smith and all

View attachment 32857
ive certainly seen worse. if you find it sexy and think you'll get some wear out of it, then go for it.

Journeyman

Supporter
It is a French brand with good sales. The watches look fine. Quartz would be my choice but the nice lagoon colour is automatic only.
I'm not such a fan of that particular model (the "Superman"), but Yema do have a couple of models that I like:

Superman II with "maxi" dial:
1574338330345.jpeg

Navygraf:
1574338367005.jpeg

They also have a bicompax racing chronograph that looks nice, the Speedgraph, with a Seiko auto movement.

1574338497388.jpeg

walker

well, sexy ...

this decision would be driven by the budget, but then there is a black friday again. we'll see ...

thank you for the feedback, though. much appreciated.

Pimpernel Smith

Already clocked that, and yes, right up my street!

Can't answer anything in great deal. Was in South Africa all weekend and most of this week on the red eye this morning. And I need a 12 hour sleep.

Managed to get to Isandhlwana and Rorke's Drift from Fugitive Drift Lodge. Which is the place to stay for the tours and it is a spiritual experience. You've got tragedy and the heroic meeting in the arrogance of man in rugged landscape that superlatives and your iPhone cannot capture.

I wore my trusty CWC G10 Tritium for my whole S.A. experience.

Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith and all

View attachment 32857
Looks good to me, some decent looking watches on their website.

I feel like I am owed one of these ...
The prices for originals have gone crazy of late. Smiths is still going by the way, they just divested from watch making.

Top Bottom