All About Watches

Oh, it's on youtube? It must be true and representative of all users experiences then. Guy probably shouldn't have gotten a watch he couldn't afford either.

He bought an old watch for $6000 and was shocked that it needed service.

Here's a current price list from late last year in Germany:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/service-your-watch-12-brands-and-their-service-prices/

Archie's costly experience sounds about right AUD, polishing etc. Albeit a hefty twat rate increase.

Well the general overhaul price is higher than many but $900 every five years or so is not that bad. My Sinn costs $750 to service.

Archie was bitching about the $3K cost which must of meant his cheap score had been neglected for some time.

Well the general overhaul price is higher than many but $900 every five years or so is not that bad. My Sinn costs $750 to service.

Archie was bitching about the $3K cost which must of meant his cheap score had been neglected for some time.

Sometimes it depends on the luck of the watch, a colleague of mine has Rolex Datejust in the grey metallic face and he had it for 6 years and was told he needed to get it serviced but he checked it out and it was still losing less than 5 seconds a day and was immaculate. Even an Oris or Longines will set you back Euros 375-400+ in these parts for a service. But the luxury brands for the cost will give you basically a new watch, that looks pristine, okay, unless you specify you want to keep the aged patina. From that perspective $3K for a new AP is not bad, so long as you inherited from your granddad and didn't pay the initial outlay cost.

7E22A150-CC9C-40CB-A3DD-D7D43AB64485.png

I can't say I remember the Oysterquartz which was discontinued in the early 2000's. Does anybody know what the price of the 17000 series were in the late 80s through to the 2000's?

I think the steel bracelets on them are a stunning and it turns out it was Gerald Genta who did the design:

7f2b4c9915111ac8ecdf6ad2e0ee0204--candies-circa.jpg

art_dail_watch_repair_near_me_vintage_2.jpg

Rolex_Datejust_Oysterquartz.jpg

I can't say I remember the Oysterquartz which was discontinued in the early 2000's.

I do like the design, but I always have to chuckle about people who feel the need to praise the Oysterquartz by explaining that it was very well made and that it was the most expensive Rolex on offer at the time etc etc.

To be frank, if it was a quartz watch by *any* other brand - Omega, Heuer, AP etc - they wouldn't give it a second glance, but because it's a Rolex, all of a sudden they think, "Well, it's not so bad..."

beautiful design indeed. there is even a small series with automatic movement

Really? I didn't know that - so Rolex put some automatic movements in Oysterquartz cases?

I do like the design, but I always have to chuckle about people who feel the need to praise the Oysterquartz by explaining that it was very well made and that it was the most expensive Rolex on offer at the time etc etc.

To be frank, if it was a quartz watch by *any* other brand - Omega, Heuer, AP etc - they wouldn't give it a second glance, but because it's a Rolex, all of a sudden they think, "Well, it's not so bad..."

It's certainly interesting that Rolex felt the need to draw inspiration from those luxury watch brands of the period. For sure they were seriously expensive when they came out, but during the 80s, 90s and at the end of the line was the likes of the 17000 series more expensive than the automatic equivalents?

Wasn't quartz initially seen and priced as higher to mechanical and automatic watches? As was this monstrosity from Omega, the evolutionary dead-end that was the TC-1:
31868780ea596ef516429f4101c581bf.png

Last edited:
Ha the best Rolex Scam is the one run by Rolex themselves.

Indeed, manipulation of the market by Rolex could be described as somewhat cynical. But like De Beers it pays to keep the illusion of rarity, exclusivity and expense.

Noticed there's a bit of a fad for vintage Rolex's at present in the home country.

all things considered that's not too terrible looking. certainly not on the level of kiss merchandise.

I love white dial :)

They are nice and the cheapest you will get one of those Oyster Quartz for on the European continent from a reliable source is €2800, I've been searching in earnest for some time. Failing that, a Tudor Oyster Quartz with white dial in near mint condition for €1800.

What about these beauts from Longines unveiled at Baselworld and will be available towards end of this year:

Skindiver:

LONGINES-SKIN-DIVER-BASELWORLD-2018.jpg

The so called ''marble'' military based on a WWII watch as worn by RAF pilots:

Longines-Military-Reissue-gear-patrol-full-lead.jpg

And the 36mm Legend Diver, a much better size to sport with a suit or jacket:

untitled.png

I really dislike the faux-patina on the dial on the middle watch. Both the top and bottom watches are nice.

I really dislike the faux-patina on the dial on the middle watch. Both the top and bottom watches are nice.

That's the Longines Military Watch, unlike previous military watches in the Heritage range they haven't gave it a year designation. The speckles on the watch face will be unique to each watch. It will help eliminate accusations that it's cod-fake and a gimmick. It does look good, prefer it to the 1945 Heritage that had the sub-dial that was a tad too small.

I like this GS - a bit sportier than most of the range without being 6 inches wide and 10ft thick. And the PR indicator is relatively non offensive on this one:

0125171744_5a6992a8533b2.jpg

0125171744_5a6992a862dab.jpg

I like that. Especially having the 24 dial on the rehaut to keep the dial uncluttered. Put a divers’ bezel on it to mitigate those obnoxious crown guards and it would be a winner.

I like this GS - a bit sportier than most of the range without being 6 inches wide and 10ft thick. And the PR indicator is relatively non offensive on this one:

0125171744_5a6992a8533b2.jpg

0125171744_5a6992a862dab.jpg

Looks even better on the wrist without the PR indicator, unfortunately not my wrist:

Grand-Seiko-Hi-Beat-36000-GMT-7.jpg

Still prefer this version of the GMT with the cream face which looks a cut above the competition in the flesh:

Grand-Seiko-Hi-Beat-36000-GMT-SBGJ017-2.jpg

I also like the upgraded limited edition Seiko Presage SJE073, below the radar elegance:

Seiko Presage SJE073_.jpg

On the diver front, along with the return of the Turtles, this gets my vote, the re-interpretation of 62MAS, the stunning Prospex Diver SPB051 which falls into the ideal beater weekend sports watch:

Seiko-Prospex-Diver-SPB051-aBlogtoWatch-9.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the SPB051, except for the fat arrow hand. Change that out, and it would be a fantastic watch.

There's a video somewhere of a Footballer getting his Rolex nicked whilst driving down the road by a hooligan on a scooter. I think its Andy Carroll but I can't recall exactly.

Don't shoot me for this but I've got $200 in free money to spend on anything at the online Mercedes Benz shop and I can't figure out what the fuck to buy. I thought this didn't seem too awful:

http://lifestylecollection.mbusa.co...welry-watches/Mens-Classic-watch_AMBT724.html

although the pic is a bit misleading as it looks rose gold to me. their online photos are notoriously bad.

anything here look interesting at all?

http://lifestylecollection.mbusa.com/mb-accessories/mb-accessories-mens-accessories-jewelry-watches/

doghouse doghouse seems like he'd be into some of those cufflinks.

All the watches look pretty awful, and are made even worse by the Mercedes logo.

I think that you'd be better off getting some outdoor gear, a bag or something else, rather than a watch.

Don't shoot me for this but I've got $200 in free money to spend on anything at the online Mercedes Benz shop and I can't figure out what the fuck to buy. I thought this didn't seem too awful:

http://lifestylecollection.mbusa.co...welry-watches/Mens-Classic-watch_AMBT724.html

although the pic is a bit misleading as it looks rose gold to me. their online photos are notoriously bad.

http://lifestylecollection.mbusa.com/mb-accessories/mb-accessories-mens-accessories-jewelry-watches/

Brake rotor ftw

Anything with ''lifestyle'' in the title is a no-go. However, I did notice that some of the cufflinks could be passed of, at some distance and trusting you are with the weak and feeble minded as Dunhill ones. So I would get a few of them and sit back knowing that they may be mistaken for sterling silver ones at nearly GBP 300 a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom