All About Watches

of all the watches i had the one i regret selling the most was the iwc panda. after that it was the stowa marine. that watch was perfect. they've more than doubled in price as well. fucking euro inflation.
Which begs the question ‘if the watch was perfect why did you sell it?’

Older posters will remember the days when people bought one watch and kept it until maybe it was beyond repair. One watch per person. No automatic wrist watch winders required.

Which begs the question ‘if the watch was perfect why did you sell it?’

Older posters will remember the days when people bought one watch and kept it until maybe it was beyond repair. One watch per person. No automatic wrist watch winders required.
At the time i was leaving to travel the world and selling all my shit. Looking back on it now i realize how stupid it was.

of all the watches i had the one i regret selling the most was the iwc panda. after that it was the stowa marine. that watch was perfect. they've more than doubled in price as well. fucking euro inflation.

Well under the coming Euro-communism you will be able to buy as many as you want for not much more than the price of 5lb of spuds state side.

The watch pundits are nearly as interesting as the watches themselves. TGV, Archie Luxury, the American chap with very strong New York accent etc.

TGV seems very consumerist. He just likes lots of new stuff. Not sure most of his watches will hold value if you are looking on them as an investment though.

Nick Shabbaz. I have never heard this accent apart from movies such as Goodfellas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMMOxK-pTm8

I have this watch on a different strap. Lose the day window and have arms with lume all the way down and it would be better. No complaints though; cheap as chips - available from ‘upscale’ UK retailer, Argos, along with Elizabeth Duke Sovereign rings.

MkII just released an American service watch homage:

F886BC8C-275C-48E0-ABCD-18E2907306D6.jpeg

back on the hunt for the speedy. i've found a few used models for around $3200. one purchased in 2016 which seemed not too bad. kind of hard to make out the condition of the hesalite in the photos though.

lowest retail i can find is around $3750. which isn't bad i guess.

The app WatchPatrol is a useful international watch forum sale aggregator, if you are willing to buy used from the Internet.

Not overly impressed. You must know of Marathon, what's your verdict on them, been tempted to pull the trigger a couple of times.

Yeh looks ok, but not much different to a dozen other homage watches.

I looked at a Marathon up close once and wasn’t that impressed with the crispness of the numerals. Very nice leather straps. They do seem like good value at that price point. Better then the ubiquitous Hamiltons and Seikos.

I decided to pass on the Smiths/Speedbird/Hawkinge/Sinn this year and hold out for an IWC XV sometime in the future.

For anyone interested, there’s a cheap ($150 shipped) Timefactors Precista diver in the US now and the Speedbird 1 on eBay is still at $400.

I got talking to a colleague last night, who turned out to be a real watch "aficionado". He had a gold Patek moon phase - don't ask me the exact model I have no idea, except he said he bought it with a generous redundancy in the early 2000s. It was also caked in so much dirt and dead skin you could hardly open the officer's case back.

Must have been a 5015 or 5054, in my knowledge the only PPs with a moon phase AND an officer case back.

QUESTION

Looking for under-the-radar daily beater which easily fits under the (double) cuff, in white metal.

Short-list so far:

1990ies Rolex Explorer 1 (14270 ref.) (36mm)
Patek Philippe 96 ref. in stainless steel (very rare, 31mm)
Some neutral unsuspicious 1960ies PP or VC manual wind in WG on a new black matte croc strap
IWC Mark XII, ca. 1998

THOUGHTS?!

Must have been a 5015 or 5054, in my knowledge the only PPs with a moon phase AND an officer case back.
There’s also the 5059 and maybe a couple others. I could ask this chap of course what his is but he’s a Yorkshireman and hasn’t worn it in a while. I remember him complaining that it wasn’t keeping good time and suspect he’s too cheap to have it fixed.

QUESTION

Looking for under-the-radar daily beater which easily fits under the (double) cuff, in white metal.

Short-list so far:

1990ies Rolex Explorer 1 (14270 ref.) (36mm)
Patek Philippe 96 ref. in stainless steel (very rare, 31mm)
Some neutral unsuspicious 1960ies PP or VC manual wind in WG on a new black matte croc strap
IWC Mark XII, ca. 1998

THOUGHTS?!

Interesting taste in under-the-radar beaters, but surely 6,7,8,9, 10 grand plus watches fall into the demi-luxury category?

May I suggest these Seiko alternatives that fulfil the beater criteria with added longevity:

S-SARX021_h_720x.jpg

S-SACM171_z_720x.jpg

S_SARY103_a_720x.jpg

dolce?

looks like a Tissot LeLocole

The Dolce because it's 33mm and ties into the Patek Philippe 96 in 31mm. Another good option if you going into the smaller wristwatch is the Ole Mathiesen classic mens size at 35mm or even the 33mm.

The top one is a domestic market one. It's on the Seiya webshop.

The Dolce because it's 33mm and ties into the Patek Philippe 96 in 31mm. Another good option if you going into the smaller wristwatch is the Ole Mathiesen classic mens size at 35mm or even the 33mm.

The top one is a domestic market one. It's on the Seiya webshop.
sorry should have elaborated - what's the significance of the name/word 'dolce' there? seems odd for a japanese brand to be using that on a watch.

sorry should have elaborated - what's the significance of the name/word 'dolce' there? seems odd for a japanese brand to be using that on a watch.

I dunno', Dolce of course is sweet in Italian. I suppose it's a bit of exotic wording from a Japanese perspective.

The Speedbird III is back in stock after an absence of more than a year. The reason it's been out of stock is because ETA has restricted the supply of ETA2824-2 "Top" version so I've had to go for the Sellita SW200-1 "Top" and there was quite a wait for that also.

To celebrate the 18th anniversary of the introduction of the first speedbird, there will be 100 pieces of the Speedbird III with the Speedbird 1 dial (no date).
9CA4CE13-70FE-4A5A-BB22-C1155A4407EC.jpeg
E75683EC-72F5-458B-A919-AB4281434A0C.jpeg
07EF16AA-6B8B-4B5C-A713-86C59467CAF6.jpeg
F933EECC-15DB-46A2-9518-14920FF8DEBF.jpeg
FCEAFAA0-35DF-4969-9BBB-1E26D4B87DDF.jpeg
B1E87ED2-C91A-4221-AB63-8410972F76C6.jpeg

Meh. Face without the text is ok but that braclet is awful looking.

The whole thing is basically a rip-off of an IWC Pilot's watch, such as the IWC Mark XII or Mark XV.

Of course, the IWC watches are based on classic pilot's watches, but the font, the cut-off hand and the bracelet are very, very similar to IWC's design.

Yep, poor man’s XV and I’m fine with that.

Speedbird was the old BOAC callsign - looking for some manufacturered 50s aviation provenance there.

I wish they had just gone all-in on being a homage watch: date window at 3, Black numerals on white, no text on face except the Made in Britain, IWC bracelet. That said, the Timefactors clasp looks nice.

I’m keeping an eye out for a date Hawkinge, but I’d really like an XV some day.

In the meantime, I bought 5 cheap and cheerful nato straps for my Hamilton.

Can someone please explain to me the point of a 24 hour subdial that just mirrors the main hands?
I mean if you could set it to a second time zone (and it’s big enough to be readable) that could be useful but I think that’s a movement I’ve seen before and all it does is mirror the main time display.

Can someone please explain to me the point of a 24 hour subdial that just mirrors the main hands?
I mean if you could set it to a second time zone (and it’s big enough to be readable) that could be useful but I think that’s a movement I’ve seen before and all it does is mirror the main time display.

It's the Seiko meca-quartz V64 which means the 24hour is only an AM/PM indicator. You can't set it independently for a second timezone. Still an attractive price at GBP 310 with the steel bracelet or GBP265 for the deployment strap. I had the Precista Blancpain Fifty-Fathoms homage, the PRS-50B, I got rid as a tiny speck of Tritium was on the glass and regretted it as it was a good homage:

prs50b.jpg

Possibly the ugliest Patek. You would only buy that watch for the name on the dial.

Mafoofan has one and loves it.

His is different - flatter bezel IIRC.
Funny how now he’s bought a (name brand, overpriced) watch he’s overnight become an expert in watches.

I think he’s recently got himself a 911 so of course has overnight become an expert on cars!

His is different - flatter bezel IIRC.
Funny how now he’s bought a (name brand, overpriced) watch he’s overnight become an expert in watches.

I think he’s recently got himself a 911 so of course has overnight become an expert on cars!

If he was an expert on cars he wouldn't have purchased a 911.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom