All About Watches

Thanks, I figured it out: XV and XV Spitfire.

Mrs Dropbear gave me one tonight for our anniversary- unfortunately not the nice one. I’ll return this and look for a ‘proper’ XV with the 10 and sawed-off hour hand.

Thanks, I figured it out: XV and XV Spitfire.

Mrs Dropbear gave me one tonight for our anniversary- unfortunately not the nice one. I’ll return this and look for a ‘proper’ XV with the 10 and sawed-off hour hand.
I know youre big into the pilot watched but have you considered the Portuguese or the Portofino?

Just put in a bid on a Citizen Crystron from 1979 in refurbished mint condition:

9575957b_xxl.jpg

Looks nice.

We'll soon see as they accepted my offer. There's some very clean faced and decent looking vintage analog quartz watches out there from the height of the Quartz Crisis/Revolution. There's a couple of German sellers who have prime examples from Seiko and even Swiss watchmakers. For a couple of hundred Euros you can get a mint one with quartz movements that have proven to be as long lasting and robust as mechanical ones. I've noticed as well the classic dress watch looking Seiko King Quartz and Type II's are jumping up in prices.

Here's a real blast from the past from a private seller in The Netherlands with this museum quality Bulova Accutron Astronaut from 1964 for Euros 2,200:
Bulova1.JPG

Bulova2.JPG

Bulova3.JPG

Bulova4.JPG

Bulova5.JPG

Bulova6.JPG

A gorgeous IWC mk XV just popped up on ebay. Buy Now at less than half it's market value. Photo shows box and papers. The seller has zero feedback and is in Canada. Also very little description, which makes me think it might be stolen or at least a little murky.

I've done some looking around and there are copy XVs out there - but they seem as rare as the originals or more so - the Chinese are mass producing Big Pilots and gaudy Rolexes, not old mks.

I am sorely tempted to take a chance and buy it.

EDIT: too late, it’s gone!

Last edited:
that's sharp. how much did it run you?

You sound like my ex- father in law...

Got this before the crazy GS price rises; they run $6,500+ now for the “limited” models. From memory mine was just under US$5k new, about $500 cheaper than an all-steel datejust at the time. The latter is still a good watch but the GS is in another league in terms of finishing particularly on the case.

Funnily enough the only people that seem to comment on it are Rolex salespeople.

Millenials might know who Paul Newman was. Burton, not so much.

Yeah the reverse snobbery of Grand Seiko

Yes, but nobody got robbed by a mugger who's only words were ''Your Grand Seiko, your Grand Seiko'' without an exclamation mark as they battered you over the head semi-conscious:

https://nltimes.nl/2019/03/01/60-rolex-watches-stolen-amsterdam-since-summer

Millenials might know who Paul Newman was. Burton, not so much.

Depends on their taste in 20th century films and if they're from the Welsh valleys and Llareggub!

The Citizen Crystron arrived today, a bit small for modern tastes at 35mm, but a fine example of what the Japanese were getting up to during the quartz crisis and handsome looking with it:

IMG_1479.JPG

IMG_1480.JPG

I have just bought a 14270 Ex. That watch will hopefully outlive me.

Honestly, I was under the impression you wanted something nice and now this, surprising at least, ymmv.

off topic: I could probably fix your shoes, I'm pretty sure I can. I just finished a slightly more refined job and it turned out marvelous. just shoot me a pm, if interested, many thanks.

imo, it is the ideal size for this kind of watch. not sure why people feel the need to mention the phrase: "modern taste", what the fuck is modern taste.?

this watch ticks a number of boxes: solid technique and revolutionary at the time it was released. timeless design, jubilee bracelet and it wears like a dream. nothing else matters, ymmv.

The Citizen Crystron arrived today, a bit small for modern tastes at 35mm, but a fine example of what the Japanese were getting up to during the quartz crisis and handsome looking with it:

View attachment 31698
View attachment 31699

imo, it is the ideal size for this kind of watch. not sure why people feel the need to mention the phrase: "modern taste", what the fuck is modern taste.?

this watch ticks a number of boxes: solid technique and revolutionary at the time it was released. timeless design, jubilee bracelet and it wears like a dream. nothing else matters, ymmv.

Indeed, indeed, you are right there is no such thing as modern taste, for there is none to be had!

I have the Crystron on today and yes, it is the ideal size for the style of watch and loses no masculine presence based on being a smaller size than many watches of today.

Wore my father’s old Ebel wave (80s) yesterday. Not the most horological watch but I like wearing it anyway. Its too bad he didn’t pick up one of those early Ebel chronos with an El Primero movement in it...height of the quartz era.
79A784AB-49CD-4FEB-B784-13BAA5EB254E.jpeg

I got this for an absolute steal, with box, all the papers, original 2003 sales receipt and also the factory black leather band with deployant clasp.

The crystal is perfect and the case has a few dings and scratches - which I’m fine with. As a left hander wearing a watch on the left hand, I’m going to whack whatever I wear anyway.

B1C3DD7F-4EFB-471A-A29C-5C2BBBB52ECA.jpeg

Last edited:
Wore my father’s old Ebel wave (80s) yesterday. Not the most horological watch but I like wearing it anyway. Its too bad he didn’t pick up one of those early Ebel chronos with an El Primero movement in it...height of the quartz era.
View attachment 31731

There was a distinct slim-lined quartz style going on at the time, Longines had it nailed:

Longines Conquest.png

VHP perpetual.png

VHP.png

I had the top Conquest full sized version for my 18th birthday, it was GBP 545 at the time, Rolex Air Kings were around GBP 900. Tissot's were doing these stone marbled watch face monstrosities that were really popular too. My mother-in-law now has my Longines, it looked mint until quite recently when the face has furred up and turned rather yellow. Longines stopped servicing the bracelets with new links a couple of years back.

I got this for an absolute steal, with box, all the papers, original 2003 sales receipt and also the factory black leather band with deployant clasp.

The crystal is perfect and the case has a few dings and scratches - which I’m fine with. As a left hander wearing a watch on the left hand, I’m going to whack whatever I wear anyway.

View attachment 31744

Looking good, did you get from the internet?

Yep, got lucky jumping on an eBsy listing as soon as it popped up.

View attachment 31744
congrats on the new purchase

I like the style and price of the Omega F300 electronic watches, an evolutionary dead-end being overtaken by quartz, but you can get A++ nearly mint condition for under a grand Euros:

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

I like the style and price of the Omega F300 electronic watches, an evolutionary dead-end being overtaken by quartz, but you can get A++ nearly mint condition for under a grand Euros:

View attachment 31778

View attachment 31781

View attachment 31782

View attachment 31783
Yes but once they break, good luck finding someone who can fix it... the technological dead end means it’s about as hard to find spare parts as for your betamax system.

The smooth second hand sweep and the whir of the little electric motor is not without charm though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom