All About Watches

Yes but once they break, good luck finding someone who can fix it... the technological dead end means it’s about as hard to find spare parts as for your betamax system.

The smooth second hand sweep and the whir of the little electric motor is not without charm though.

I suppose a work around would be putting in a quartz movement instead?

Yes but once they break, good luck finding someone who can fix it... the technological dead end means it’s about as hard to find spare parts as for your betamax system.

The smooth second hand sweep and the whir of the little electric motor is not without charm though.

We actually still have a betamax player in the family. Was my grandmother's.

...and a good example, probably the best, of the concept that marketeers know as 'the whole product'

Yes - Betamax was *technically* better but VHS had longer playing time when first released, so one tape could hold a whole movie. As a result, studios preferred VHS so consumers bought VHS players because they could get movies on VHS tapes.

By the time Betamax introduced longer-playing tapes, VHS had market domination.

When I was about 12, the mining company my mum worked for (accountant) purchased tw Betamax machines for a total of $3500. One went up to the mine site and the other one went to us. Basically I was the only kid at school with a vcr, but the deal was that I had to record at least one tape per week of TV that was then sent up to the mine site. Usually I’d grab a Sunday night movie, but some weeks those poor blokes were stuck with whatever my weird obsession of the moment was.

Years later, my dad bought a VHS machine. I still remember when he joined the only video library in town. Membership wa $70 plus you had to buy s movie to add to the library!

Thoughts on this ugly Seiko? After a few Suntorys last night I was starting to turn Japanese on it...

3138FC67-F15F-49E4-8044-52D06C336EF9.jpeg

Thoughts on this ugly Seiko? After a few Suntorys last night I was starting to turn Japanese on it...

View attachment 31883

It looks pretty good to me, I wouldn't sport it in the boardroom, but at weekends or on a mission or expedition definitely. Less chunky than the Landmaster spring drive:

Landmaster.png

Not impressed with the price on the re-edition 6105 ''Willard'' diver:

https://www.watchuseek.com/baselwor...70s-re-creation-limited-edition-diver-sla033/

Dig the price on the USA Limited Edition of the blue Alpinist, looks great:

blue-alpinist.jpg

It looks pretty good to me, I wouldn't sport it in the boardroom, but at weekends or on a mission or expedition definitely.
Yes definitely not business attire, but could see taking it on a trip or ten. I like the new LX Landmaster and Diver but the price makes even the reeditions look cheap by comparison. Retail is nearly double a Tudor GMT..!

39981F1A-0097-4A5A-B565-BE7F9FAFD7C9.jpeg
A6E37B19-68B4-464C-93F6-256D5E6A75ED.jpeg
541C4544-5869-420B-8C4C-7F7ECF34365B.jpeg

the Landmaster spring drive:

landmaster-png.31885
That watch reminds me of a tyre pressure gauge. Or as Daniels said a gasometer...

Attachments

• 901DA185-3F8B-4217-A995-D2B4DEE60466.png
    901DA185-3F8B-4217-A995-D2B4DEE60466.png
    221.3 KB · Views: 199
Yes definitely not business attire, but could see taking it on a trip or ten. I like the new LX Landmaster and Diver but the price makes even the reeditions look cheap by comparison. Retail is nearly double a Tudor GMT..!

View attachment 31887..

The problem with the MM's is that they are too chunky to pass off as a dress diver. For the new higher prices I would definitely get a Tudor before the MM. The 1968 reedition SPB077 modified to a MM looks far better. It's thinner on the wrist and the bracelet is more dressy. I got rid of my MM and haven't regretted it, but one of the watch guys over here had the modded SPB077 and it looked too good not to have especially for Euros 800.

Edit: The LX range look mighty good in this video, but as with most of the comments, I don't think they have the edge on competitors in this price range:

Last edited:
Looks weird with the crown there. OK for sinister lefties I suppose.
I’ve never had a problem with a crown digging into my wrist so the desire for an offset crown position passes me by.

My Citizen Eco-Drive diver in Pepsi colour bezel (with scratches).

Very happy with this watch which has been worn on dives. The crown is slightly awkward to undo and resecure.
4FBF0F99-B8D1-442D-81A9-60FA222A3B36.jpeg

Attachments

• 1A7A05C1-0F06-49C5-BA9E-F3EC525B1CB7.jpeg
    1A7A05C1-0F06-49C5-BA9E-F3EC525B1CB7.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 216

It looks mighty fine on the steel bracelet. A definite maybe at Euros 239 in these parts inclusive of the steel and the rubber strap. I've not seen one in the flesh though, would need to see how thick they are before buying. Did see one of Citizen's Promaster Marine BN2031-85E's and they look good for a weekend tool watch:
bn2031-85e.jpg

bn2031-85e-00.jpg

Had my Thai market Ltd Edition Seiko turtle on holiday:
IMG_2023.JPG

The Seiko Thai market Ltd Editions are well worth checking out. They seem specifically designed colour wise to work in bright sunlight.

Very tempted to get the Seiko Marine Master SBBN031, there's a mint and unused one going for just under Euros 900 near me, a very tool aesthetic and then there's the size, mainly the thickness which cuts down on wearability:

Seiko.png

Very tempted to get the Seiko Marine Master SBBN031, there's a mint and unused one going for just under Euros 900 near me, a very tool aesthetic and then there's the size, mainly the thickness which cuts down on wearability:

View attachment 32060
that is such a weird looking case. i don't think i've ever seen one with the ring on the inside of the case shell like that.

that is such a weird looking case. i don't think i've ever seen one with the ring on the inside of the case shell like that.

Seiko have a few models like that. They were originally designed for deep sea diving by professionals, presumably so the outer case protects the rest of the watch from being banged against the pylons for oil rigs when you're down in the darkness on the sea bed!

They're colloquially known as Seiko "Tuna" watches, because the case somewhat resembles an opened tin of tuna.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/seiko-tuna-history/

seiko-tuna-8070.jpg

Seiko have a few models like that. They were originally designed for deep sea diving by professionals, presumably so the outer case protects the rest of the watch from being banged against the pylons for oil rigs when you're down in the darkness on the sea bed!

They're colloquially known as Seiko "Tuna" watches, because the case somewhat resembles an opened tin of tuna.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/seiko-tuna-history/

seiko-tuna-8070.jpg
interesting thanks. in all my years of diving and watch-ing, i've never run across one of those.

interesting thanks. in all my years of diving and watch-ing, i've never run across one of those.

That's because they're made for those who don't dive, but like the credentials that you could, if you were called upon a mission of daring do at short notice.

That's because they're made for those who don't dive, but like the credentials that you could, if you were called upon a mission of daring do at short notice.

I may not know how to fly a plane, but I have my antimagnetic pilots’ watch on and am ready to step into the cockpit and heroic glory at a moment’s notice.

Most scuba divers are going to 40 metres tops. Professional divers, on air, will go to 70 metres, on oxygen or helium as far as 100 metres but you would a special suit to get to 600 metres. Probably would not need a dive watch though - a dive computer would be more useful.

Probably would not need a dive watch though - a dive computer would be more useful.

Yes, a lot of dive watches nowadays are more for show than for any practical application.

Although, having said, my wife used to do a lot of scuba diving. She said that the very keen divers would always use a dive computer as their main device but that quite a few of them used to also wear a dive watch on their other arm as a mechanical back-up, in case the dive computer failed for some reason.

Interestingly, hardly any of them wore Rolex - they pretty much all wore Seiko.

That’s simply because it’s so much easier on your wallet to lose a $200 Seiko in the drink or get it bashed than a $6000 sub, no matter how well suited the sub will be to the task of diving.

There was a time when the Royal Navy divers had Rolex's assigned to them. If I remember rightly it was the early 1970s when they switched over to CWC divers.

There's one up in the next Bonhams auction. I think it's expected to fetch 150,000.00 USD

Edox Delfin Fleet 1650. $1800 retail, but $629 on The Drop. 70's Throwback. Cushion case. has its "own" movement Edox 88 26-jewel automatic based on the Sellita SW220-1 which is a ETA-2824-2 clone. Great deal at this price. An under-the-radar brand that is well made, accurate and well-regarded.
1559277815791.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 11.06.44 PM.png

1559278364253.png

I'm de-modifying my SBDC061 back to the original configuration from the Marine Master. The apprentice at the watch repairers had that Citizen in the pepsi ltd edition. Definitely a SKX killer. Other than the cheap brushed bracelet it really looks a high quality and aesthetically pleasing dress diver. You cannot fault the skill in delivering that level of acceptable quality combined with visual appeal at that price.

I know the Swiss manufacturers are in a recession/depression, interesting if Seiko and/or Citizen are experiencing something similar or not at all?

Edox Delfin Fleet 1650. $1800 retail, but $629 on The Drop. 70's Throwback. Cushion case. has its "own" movement Edox 88 26-jewel automatic based on the Sellita SW220-1 which is a ETA-2824-2 clone. Great deal at this price. An under-the-radar brand that is well made, accurate and well-regarded.
View attachment 32149
View attachment 32151
View attachment 32150

That's definitely an excellent deal, and I'm not saying that just for the Dutch golden age connection!

Would be nicer if it was less than £1000.

I would not worry about ‘how it makes me feel’. Servicing? Yes. Getting mugged for it? Possibly.
agreed but at that point i think i'd just go for the fake. who can even tell at this point?

since most people are just buying it for the name anyway. even listening to that video i can imagine most people saying 'well i don't really give a shit about most of these details'.

Not bad. Of course you still have to buy a fake Cellini or two to get on the waitlist for the fake Daytona with your local friendly (un)AD.

Clearly that fake Rolex is straight out of the mind of Philip K. Dick. A replicant.

Other than the traditional market in Shanghai, does anybody know where you can buy such fakes in your countries without running the risk of buying on the internet and running the gauntlet of customs?

Meanwhile, my de-mod back to the SBCD061 has gone pear shaped as whoever did it, super-glued the movement onto the back of Marine Master dial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom