All About Watches

Yes Rotary does seem a High Street brand from back in the day. They offer more rectangular watches than other brands too.

Their biggest market was and is the UK and they've always focused on the Brits. They are also behind these two watch brands:

Wiki says Rotary were suppliers to the British army during WW11. Yet no military watch? Missing a trick. It was Swiss but now Chinese owned.

Definitely missing an obvious marketing gimmick there. Unless they're saving it up!

My research on Rotary leads me to this: their made in Switzerland watches are cost effective and quality merchandise that competes with some of the Longines Elegance ranges for half the price. The stuff that looks too good to be true, are indeed that. Chinese made and assembled tat.

I'm zeroing in on some of the Rotary Elite and Reverso ranges from awhile back. Pictures already posted. We'll see where we are when I have some pocket money the end of the month.

1566533992143.png

Bit expensive that really. I would say $225-250 and you're getting something really good at a great price.

If you ever see a sub $300 Speedy please let me know and I’ll buy it. These days it’s rare to see any of the ETA models under $500.

If you ever see a sub $300 Speedy please let me know and I’ll buy it. These days it’s rare to see any of the ETA models under $500.

The price increases on Swiss calibrations are driven by the market contracting, but knowing that the demographic interested in those watches will pay for the increase. It's about right.

I still say that Speedbird is over priced a bit. The best watch that Timefactors did was the Fifty Fathoms homage with the original calibration in which was mega. I had one and got rid, due to a spec of Tritium on the face. Stupid move and I've always regretted that flip.

Kept an eye on a couple of Rotary Elite range watches and they've all sold pretty quick. This Reverso homage went for Euros 639, I was very tempted, but decided to wait and put a lower offer in, but missed the chance:

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

So I've pulled the trigger on this cost effective Cartier Americaine chronograph killer:

Capture3.PNG

Here's a blast from the past, a Momo design quartz chronograph I bought for a toy watch price about 20 years ago and only wore a couple of times and then left it in a drawer. Changed the battery last weekend and it's quite a vibrant design:

IMG_0096.jpg

Mister Seiko has them still and the Patek Phillippe Calatrava 5227 killer, the SARB035:

Mister Seiko has them still and the Patek Phillippe Calatrava 5227 killer, the SARB035:

christ thats almost twice the original price.

wasnt there an older model as well that was similar to this? the 25 maybe? i remember vox had one back on styfo

More affordable watch delight, the Smith Everest white dial available end of October:

Too much going on there. Waaaay too much.
A chrono in a dress tank style case is a bit like cousins marrying.

The missus didn't like it either. Thought it was a ladies watch. I offered it to her, but she's in the Smart watch universe these days. If a watch doesn't tell you that you've walked your allotted 10,000 steps in a day then it isn't worth having.

I'm a fan of Roman numeral watches in general. You've got that beaming white face contrasted with the dark numerals and hands, stands out in meetings without eliciting negative responses.

Rotary for a toy watch manufacturer, does come up with some decent watches in among the utter dross. And they do produce some hideous watches. But I notice on the watch sites, all the good Elite ranges are generally found in Germany.

Interesting story - woman buys $25 couch from second-hand store, finds $250,000 "Paul Newman" model Rolex Daytona stuck between the cushions:

Be right back - I'm just popping down to the local second-hand furniture shop...

Last edited:
Looked in the windows in Kingston jewellers.

There are watches at every price point now.

Oris £1000 - 1500 big units.

Longines mechanical similar prices.

Tudor Black Bay around £2500 plus.

Omega around £5000 to £7500

Grand Seiko was also on offer including quartz around £2000.

Also noticed a shop just offering watch repairs. Probably expensive.”Paying Swiss people to be Swiss” ? Nick Shabbaz.

Grand Seiko quartz was good, but not sure it looked that much better than their regular quartz. I also find it difficult to buy into the accuracy issue when you can just use a radio controlled watch to take accuracy from the atomic clock. I am not sure generating accuracy by the watch itself has to be that big a deal. And you have to change the battery too - unlike solar.

Nice. 43mm is a big case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom