All About Watches

L1090715.jpg

The new 2019 Sumo whilst a subtle aesthetic difference, it really makes a difference on the desirability front and now with 70 hours reserve:

seiko_sumo_prospex_diver_spb101j1_01.jpg

Capture.PNG

Hello all you toy watch fans, here's a handy Rotary Tank busting Cartier Tank Solo XL for 100 English pounds:

View attachment 33011

View attachment 33012
Back to the Rotary again. It looks good but it is difficult to find precise dimensions. I am not sure if it will be too big in comparison to a Cartier or Reverso.

Here is another dress watch, a solar one from Seiko. It could have been nice but they must have knocked it up in a few minutes one Friday afternoon.

Terrible cheap-looking scripts which don’t match.

The hands and face do not seem to have had much thought either. They could have tried for something special though understated - but they couldn’t be bothered.

Back to the Rotary again. It looks good but it is difficult to find precise dimensions. I am not sure if it will be too big in comparison to a Cartier or Reverso.

It's about the same size to the entry level mechanical Cartier Tank Solo XL. The date window is much smaller though. Still, it's got the vibe if not the exact spec and class. Here's the Rotary Elite similar in style to some of the Cartier Tank Americaine chronos:

IMG_0620.jpg

The face is proper Cartier white in reality. Again, for a couple of hundred Euros it gives the same vibe. But I think it would be better on a black strap rather than the steel bracelet.

Here is another dress watch, a solar one from Seiko. It could have been nice but they must have knocked it up in a few minutes one Friday afternoon.

Terrible cheap-looking scripts which don’t match.

The hands and face do not seem to have had much thought either. They could have tried for something special though understated - but they couldn’t be bothered.

The cheaper end Seiko's have always been pretty dreadful. If you look at what Citizen does at the lower end, it's much better,

thoughts? seems like a nice daily

Similar vibe to the Omega Rail Masters, would prefer it in 36-38mm for added cod vintage vibe.

not talking to me. also, it is too big. this kind of watch should be at 36 and/or 38mm as Pimpernel Smith Pimpernel Smith already cited. considering it is a LE and cheap, it will be sold out quickly, though.

Demand is outstripping supply and the AD's are careful who they sell to due to the grey market problem.
I mean that's no different than the US. But they are an order of magnitude harder to find in the UK. Like 10 times harder.

I mean that's no different than the US. But they are an order of magnitude harder to find in the UK. Like 10 times harder.

Can't speak of the situation over the pond, but there are no stainless Rolex sports watches on display in ANY Rolex AD that I've passed, and I've passed a lot, not even Yachtmasters or Milgauss. None, nada, zero, zilch...

However, you can get any womens Rolex you want, no problem.

I like this Tudor GMT very much, has a look of the classic pre-ceramic Rolex GMT.

...thinking of growing a 'tache so that I can strut around like Magnum P.I. !!!!

Can't speak of the situation over the pond, but there are no stainless Rolex sports watches on display in ANY Rolex AD that I've passed, and I've passed a lot, not even Yachtmasters or Milgauss. None, nada, zero, zilch...

I like this Tudor GMT very much, has a look of the classic pre-ceramic Rolex GMT.

...thinking of growing a 'tache so that I can strut around like Magnum P.I. !!!!

My brother got his two at Schipol airport. One's the modern GMT and the other is a sporty one, which one I don't remember, but quite similar. He wasn't wearing them over Christmas and I asked him why and he confirmed that they're for his sons as heirlooms and he has put them away. And to be fair, there was no flashing on Rolex's at the dining tables or at parties he was at.

I asked him what is he going to wear himself and said he's considering the Tudor GMT. Which funnily enough, along with Formby, who's already pulled the plug, I am very interested too along with a few other Tudor's.

A good thumbs up buy there!

Yeah, nowhere near what it is over there. You may wait a few months if there is a particular model you want, but sports watches in general are out in the wild to be had on an impulse buy when you stroll in an AD.

The Tudor is a great piece though. I definitely dig the current ones quite a bit. Which reminds me, post some damn pictures!

Stealing watches in Mayfair on a hunch it might be valuable. This one is not instantly recognisable as expensive.
Then again they steal watches from car drivers now.

Another disincentive to own expensive watches in London.

Stealing watches in Mayfair on a hunch it might be valuable. This one is not instantly recognisable as expensive.
Then again they steal watches from car drivers now.

Another disincentive to own expensive watches in London.

That will create a bottom culture of dressing down. That's the future, dress down, or be exposed and get robbed. Same all over Europe, cities that are crime ridden hell holes. All the middle class have moved to the provinces/suburbs. The decisive factor will be when the elites leave. Then those cities, including London, will become a place you will get more than tired of.

I do not have many watches, but some beautiful and big watches go through my workshop .... This Junghans Germany is not first I see and it's beautiful
View attachment 33304View attachment 33305

They've been around for a few years now, yet to see someone wearing one at street level. Unlike the Max Bill branded Bauhaus ones that I've seen a lot of ladies wearing, especially on planes for some reason. But plexi-glass, always an issue for scratches.

Just put a bid in on a 1976 King Quartz Seiko. Looking good, a Dutch seller, who's got them recently from Japan.

The big guy in Germany who deals in mint and restored versions has just lowered his prices across the board. They're clearly not selling. But very serviceable and long lasting and for smaller watch sizes very masculine. I really dig the style for work, hence, I might be a player in the collector market here now. And for a couple hundred Euros why not be a player.

They've been around for a few years now, yet to see someone wearing one at street level. Unlike the Max Bill branded Bauhaus ones that I've seen a lot of ladies wearing, especially on planes for some reason. But plexi-glass, always an issue for scratches.

Just put a bid in on a 1976 King Quartz Seiko. Looking good, a Dutch seller, who's got them recently from Japan.

The big guy in Germany who deals in mint and restored versions has just lowered his prices across the board. They're clearly not selling. But very serviceable and long lasting and for smaller watch sizes very masculine. I really dig the style for work, hence, I might be a player in the collector market here now. And for a couple hundred Euros why not be a player.
I sold my chrono because it was an absolute scratch magnet. You cleaned it the wrong way and it would get scuffed up. Gorgeous watch though

I sold my chrono because it was an absolute scratch magnet. You cleaned it the wrong way and it would get scuffed up. Gorgeous watch though

This is the problem with the plexi-glass watches from original bubble glass Rolex, CWC's, Longines Conquest re-edition and the like. My CWC G10 constantly needs a polish.

I won that auction for the 1976 King Quartz Seiko. I'm arranging to pick it up at the weekend, the seller's not far from here and he has other ones. The Quartz technology was perfected rather quickly, and easy to keep chugging along. That 1979 Citizen Crystron of mine, is in the Seiko 9F territory for not gaining or losing seconds.

These are from that German seller, with the exception of the second one from '76, the top one is from '75 and he was trying to sell for nearly a grand, but has reduced to a couple of hundred Euros, which is my kind of territory. All 1970s:

1975.PNG

Capture7.PNG

Seiko78.PNG

seiko.PNG

This is the problem with the plexi-glass watches from original bubble glass Rolex, CWC's, Longines Conquest re-edition and the like. My CWC G10 constantly needs a polish.

I won that auction for the 1976 King Quartz Seiko. I'm arranging to pick it up at the weekend, the seller's not far from here and he has other ones. The Quartz technology was perfected rather quickly, and easy to keep chugging along. That 1979 Citizen Crystron of mine, is in the Seiko 9F territory for not gaining or losing seconds.

These are from that German seller, with the exception of the second one from '76, the top one is from '75 and he was trying to sell for nearly a grand, but has reduced to a couple of hundred Euros, which is my kind of territory. All 1970s:

View attachment 33321

View attachment 33322

View attachment 33323

View attachment 33324
Well at least you will not have to spend much on servicing. My Seiko from 40 years ago has only ever needed batteries replaced. It is a standard one. No special name. Same logo as your bottom watch. It is simple and very legible. From a time when people did not agonise over how comfortable a bracelet was.

I do think we will soon reach peak watch malarkey. Younger collectors may not remember the time when watches used to stop or need servicing. Older collectors may not have realised what an expensive racket servicing has become. Simple reliability will be appreciated again. Fashions will change.

These are from that German seller, with the exception of the second one from '76, the top one is from '75 and he was trying to sell for nearly a grand, but has reduced to a couple of hundred Euros, which is my kind of territory.

The watch second from the bottom looks very nice indeed. Lovely dial and classic case shape.

Well at least you will not have to spend much on servicing. My Seiko from 40 years ago has only ever needed batteries replaced. It is a standard one. No special name. Same logo as your bottom watch. It is simple and very legible. From a time when people did not agonise over how comfortable a bracelet was.

Those Seiko Quartz models from that period are extremely well built and tidy looking. Were they considered at the time cheap and cheery as Seiko became to be known later, or well respected? Many brands squandered image by the early 1990s, if you remember Tag Heuer were selling really crap sporty models that were faked and their only solution was go upmarket and heritage.

The watch second from the bottom looks very nice indeed. Lovely dial and classic case shape.

That happens to be the most expensive model, still under a grand and well classic.

Seiko was never cheap and cheery. It was the first quartz option. It was affordable - but not inconsiderable money.

Various cheap brands emerged in due course.

Then manufacturers cleverly shifted the goalposts so that watches were offered for silly money and still found buyers. People also started owning more than one watch at a time.

At prices all time high, a shakedown is certainly welcome. Not asking for quartz crisis prices. Only a more realistic level.

At prices all time high, a shakedown is certainly welcome. Not asking for quartz crisis prices. Only a more realistic level.

Not going to happen. The grey market has long replaced the offical market and the re-sellers will be more than willing to sit anything out. Maybe prices will stagate but they won't fall.

Picked up Seiko King Quartz 4822-8010 from 1976 complete with KQ bracelet, a mighty dress watch for next to nothing, the first two photos are from the seller:

14288470-kb6dnvnfk34a6alrthcaxbq2-Zoom.jpg

14288470-0ealbn14w7t6x7tm745hprur-Zoom.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom