All About Watches

that seiko is handsome but its not worth that much money. if they remake that for $400-500 it might be worth a shot.

The stupidity of the secondhand watch market show no signs of abating I see.

NO fucking way would I pay 1300 hundred quid for that watch. I wouldn't pay 50 quid. For just over another grand you could buy a brand new Tudor Black Bay, wear it and, let it age as (dis)gracefully as you do...

The stupidity of the secondhand watch market show no signs of abating I see.

NO fucking way would I pay 1300 hundred quid for that watch. I wouldn't pay 50 quid. For just over another grand you could buy a brand new Tudor Black Bay, wear it and, let it age as (dis)gracefully as you do...

There's a fad for any watch you can name as supplied to the military or stick a crown sign-on. The recent price increases for the higher end CWC watches are a case in point, tripled in price. The Seiko watch was about 250 quid back in the mid-nineties. The Seiko quartz 7A28 chronograph movement of the time is well respected and you see attempts at them being sold for Euro 300-390. For collectors that's the right price.

There's a fad for any watch you can name as supplied to the military or stick a crown sign-on. The recent price increases for the higher end CWC watches are a case in point, tripled in price. The Seiko watch was about 250 quid back in the mid-nineties. The Seiko quartz 7A28 chronograph movement of the time is well respected and you see attempts at them being sold for Euro 300-390. For collectors that's the right price.

The second hand/vintage market is best avoided unless you're looking for something a bit special, and then...

I have a friend who paid a fortune for an old Universal Geneve Tri-Compax. A beautiful and rare (in Britain) watch but this thing was battered. It'll probably be difficult to service too.

I thought he was mad, and told him so...He didn't give a fuck....LOL.

The second hand/vintage market is best avoided unless you're looking for something a bit special, and then...

I have a friend who paid a fortune for an old Universal Geneve Tri-Compax. A beautiful and rare (in Britain) watch but this thing was battered. It'll probably be difficult to service too.

I thought he was mad, and told him so...He didn't give a fuck....LOL.
I'd love to get a UG Polerouter Sub, but they are selling for ridiculous prices.

I'd love to get a UG Polerouter Sub, but they are selling for ridiculous prices.

Nice watch. UG was a 'sister' brand of Patek. So they were high quality time pieces, unfortunately they were done in by the quartz crisis. Much more popular on the continent and in the US than the UK. They still exist, but are a shadow of their former self.

Have you seen the JLC Polaris? looks a bit similar.

I have a friend who paid a fortune for an old Universal Geneve Tri-Compax.

Going back a decade or so, you could pick up the UG Tri-Compax in gold for a few thousand dollars. It was an absolute steal. Nowadays, a decent model in steel will cost $10K or more and a gold version considerably more than that.

They are beautiful watches but many of them are in pretty ordinary condition, particularly as they're often 60 years old or more. I remember seeing one for sale on Hodinkee a while back that had an awful dial with spots and blotches all over it. The listing described the dial as "having great patina".

Going back a decade or so, you could pick up the UG Tri-Compax in gold for a few thousand dollars. It was an absolute steal. Nowadays, a decent model in steel will cost $10K or more and a gold version considerably more than that.

They are beautiful watches but many of them are in pretty ordinary condition, particularly as they're often 60 years old or more. I remember seeing one for sale on Hodinkee a while back that had an awful dial with spots and blotches all over it. The listing described the dial as "having great patina".

His is like this one, a dealer sourced it for him...

1590318822115.png

^That looks to be in really nice condition and it's clearly a more recent iteration, too - probably from the late 1960s or early 1970s instead of the 1940s/1950s/early 1960s.

I'm not such a fan of the hands but the rest of the watch is great. If it has the original Gay Freres bracelet it would make it worth even more.

^That looks to be in really nice condition and it's clearly a more recent iteration, too - probably from the late 1960s or early 1970s instead of the 1940s/1950s/early 1960s.

I'm not such a fan of the hands but the rest of the watch is great. If it has the original Gay Freres bracelet it would make it worth even more.

His is in worse condition than that..I think it is late 60s

I think that style, in mint condition sell for 10s of thousands.

There is a model known as the 'Nina Rindt' named after the racing car drivers wife who was often seen wearing one.

Rare. The blue one is very nice,

1590319641042.png

One sold by Phillips for £37,000

View attachment 33803

Silver and blue dial.

View attachment 33806

That's neat and tidy, but £37,000 that's not for wearing on city streets. Just by looking at it, that calibration is going to be a bugger to get serviced and keep maintained. No daily beater that.

There's a new watch man I've found in Amsterdam, is big in advertising and his hobby side line is vintage Seiko's. Only trades with the connoisseurs over here. He has Grand Seikos in good condition from the late 60s and early to mid 70s for less than a grand. The Grand Quartz for around Euros 500:

seiko gs 6145-8000 36k - 096_2x.jpg

seiko gs 4546-7010 - 513_2x.jpg

seiko 9940-8010 hgp - 036_2x.jpg

His is in worse condition than that..I think it is late 60s

I think that style, in mint condition sell for 10s of thousands.

There is a model known as the 'Nina Rindt' named after the racing car drivers wife who was often seen wearing one.

Rare. The blue one is very nice,

View attachment 33802
now THAT is a sexy. how much is that going for? $20k? probably considering the piece of shit seiko watches are going for $1500.

You think the now owners of Universal Geneve would be picking up on this UG Compax love amongst watch lovers and re-introduce new models influenced by these classic watches.

Watchheads collective heads would explode...

That's what I like about you earnest commie chaps, you're real snobs at heart.
right but instead of wanting only you and me to be able to afford things like this i want everyone across the board to have the same opportunities. we all want nice things no matter our economic strata. trying to pretend otherwise is just silly.

You think the now owners of Universal Geneve would be picking up on this UG Compax love amongst watch lovers and re-introduce new models influenced by these classic watches.

Watchheads collective heads would explode...
dont give these rich assholes any idea. some hedge fund will probably buy the brand and start pumping them out then everything will go to shit in 4-5 years.

right but instead of wanting only you and me to be able to afford things like this i want everyone across the board to have the same opportunities. we all want nice things no matter our economic strata. trying to pretend otherwise is just silly.

But how drab is that? Everyone has the same outcome (except the intelligentsia and their privileged offspring) all walking around with their Vostock's on with Miyota movements.

dont give these rich assholes any idea. some hedge fund will probably buy the brand and start pumping them out then everything will go to shit in 4-5 years.

They're already owned by some Hong Kong based outfit, but their offerings seem to be biased/catering towards that neck of the woods.

Nothing wrong with being poor, but you shouldn't be cheap. Myself I'm neither poor nor cheap, I'm just not overly interested in watches. I have a literal wad of cash in my desk to buy a bi-color Royal Oak as soon as I bring up the interest to look for one, because I think it's an excellent fuck-you-tool that would come in handy every once in a while. Apart from that, I'm not interested in any watch be it cheap or not.

a close reading of your german forum and sock forum posts indicate both cheapness and a poverty financially as well as spiritually.

Meanwhile, in watch related matters, Archie Luxury is selling off all his Patek Philippes. The reason he offered(with a straight face) Patek Philippe now attracts the wrong type of customer!

That did not last very long. Urban Gentry announced that he was no longer sponsored by Watchbox.

Cue unbridled schadenfreude from our man in Brisbane.

Meanwhile, in watch related matters, Archie Luxury is selling off all his Patek Philippes. The reason he offered(with a straight face) Patek Philippe now attracts the wrong type of customer!

That did not last very long. Urban Gentry announced that he was no longer sponsored by Watchbox.

I gorra tell ya......

For me next pur-chase, I'm finkin bout a krony-graf. Any suggestions?

Throw any brand you wanna inta da mix (but remember! It must be a merkanikal krony-graf)

a close reading of your german forum and sock forum posts indicate both cheapness and a poverty financially as well as spiritually.

He's certainly into advertising his alleged wealth.

It's one manic episode to the next with him. He's like that mate of yours who just can't cope with cocaine. Except he's like that all the time.

The Watchbox tie-up didn't make any sense, in a different world, the Urban Gentry would be good on television.

For me next pur-chase, I'm finkin bout a krony-graf. Any suggestions?

Throw any brand you wanna inta da mix (but remember! It must be a merkanikal krony-graf)
download.jpg

Fortis_Official_Cosmonauts_Chrono_0.jpg

Hamilton-Intra-Matic-Automatic-Chronograph-H38416711-cover.jpg

9965272_xxl.jpg

1.jpg

ead372117f8d084e4bb91b03cb49128e2a0ff2f6.jpeg

It’s a great opportunity for Archie to consider selling shitters like he advised a few years back.

A joint video between him and Crompton would also be good

He used to run adverts for David Reeves tailoring on his fridge. I'm surprised Reevsie would have anything to do with him...

He's certainly into advertising his alleged wealth.

It's one manic episode to the next with him. He's like that mate of yours who just can't cope with cocaine. Except he's like that all the time.

The Watchbox tie-up didn't make any sense, in a different world, the Urban Gentry would be good on television.

View attachment 33859

View attachment 33860

View attachment 33861
View attachment 33862

View attachment 33863
View attachment 33864

I like the Tudor, has a bit of a 'tona vibe to it, but I have 2 Tudors already. I do like their retro inspires krono's though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom