All About Watches

I've decided on my next watch and incidentally, it has a James Bond film franchise connection.

And it will get mega-thumbs down from several forum members, which I thoroughly approve of!

It's going to be some Seiko quartz monstrosity, looking forward to some pictures together with your favorite short-sleeve T&A shirt!

It's going to be some Seiko quartz monstrosity, looking forward to some pictures together with your favorite short-sleeve T&A shirt!

1598394627792.png

Omega?

Greun

Brietling?

Rolex?

Seiko Pro Diver?

Not any of those...

One of these?

Or those....

It is of course, the Longines Conquest Heritage, as worn by Ralph Fiennes as M in Spectre:

download.jpg

Actually I've had the stainless steel 35mm previously and regret getting rid of it. But with the old hesselite plexiglass, whilst great for managing reflections, it does scratch all the time. So I'm going to get the 40mm version with the sapphire glass.

The black version is a winner too, also worn in the film:

PSX_20181028_153039.jpg

James Bond is an Omega fan boy, and R F can promise you Longines has always been way out in front.
Longines as much as you may want it, falls into the mid-range, but high quality. A canny buy. And I know diplomats who sport Longines before other ranges. It says you cannot be bought.

So away with your pretence and BS.

Not any of those...

Or those....

It is of course, the Longines Conquest Heritage, as worn by Ralph Fiennes as M in Spectre:

View attachment 35103

Actually I've had the stainless steel 35mm previously and regret getting rid of it. But with the old hesselite plexiglass, whilst great for managing reflections, it does scratch all the time. So I'm going to get the 40mm version with the sapphire glass.

View attachment 35104
I prefer the white dial version with a stainless steel case. No date would be even better. Maybe the original limited edition was no date.

Tissot Visodate is also nice.

I don’t bother with mechanicals myself though.

Nice choice! A pity you had sold the 35mm. It's bittersweet since the remake is a testament to how the mighty have fallen. The original Conquest Heritage had a superior movement that was more nicely finished.

Not any of those...

Or those....

View attachment 35103

View attachment 35104

I prefer the dark faced one, which has a retro look about it. Like others however, I'm not enamoured by the position of the date window.

That's the one of the best versions of that Oris with the round indices. It's pretty well respected and it does have quite a presence on the wrist. If you see someone with it you'll know what I mean.

True, for a ‘Movember’ special, it could have been much worse. I hate to think what the’Dry July’ edition will look like.

2020 Rolex subs are out. Up 1mm in case size to 41mm. Slimmed down lugs. Wider bracelet. Discontinued the 2019s. New movements with improved power reserve to 70 hours. The Hulk killed off. Black or blue dials only.

Submariner 124060: Oystersteel, Black Cerachrom Bezel, Black Dial (No-Date)

– Submariner Date 126610LN:Oystersteel, Black Cerachrom Bezel, Black Dial

– Submariner Date 126610LV:Oystersteel, Green Cerachrom Bezel, Black Dial

– Submariner Date 126613LN: Yellow Rolesor; Black Ceramic Bezel, Black Dial

– Submariner Date 126613LB: Yellow Rolesor; Blue Ceramic Bezel, Blue Dial

– Submariner Date 126618LN: Yellow Gold, Black Cerachrom Bezel, Black Dial

– Submariner Date 126618LB: Yellow Gold, Blue Cerachrom Bezel, Blue Dial

– Submariner Date 126619LB: White Gold, Blue Cerachrom Bezel, Black Dial

1599061635630.jpeg

1599061883880.jpeg

1599062092044.jpeg

2020 Rolex subs are out. Up 1mm in case size to 41mm. Slimmed down lugs. Wider bracelet. Discontinued the 2019s. New movements with improved power reserve to 70 hours. The Hulk killed off. Black or blue dials only.

Submariner 124060: Oystersteel, Black Cerachrom Bezel, Black Dial (No-Date)

– Submariner Date 126610LN:Oystersteel, Black Cerachrom Bezel, Black Dial

– Submariner Date 126610LV:Oystersteel, Green Cerachrom Bezel, Black Dial

– Submariner Date 126613LN: Yellow Rolesor; Black Ceramic Bezel, Black Dial

– Submariner Date 126613LB: Yellow Rolesor; Blue Ceramic Bezel, Blue Dial

– Submariner Date 126618LN: Yellow Gold, Black Cerachrom Bezel, Black Dial

– Submariner Date 126618LB: Yellow Gold, Blue Cerachrom Bezel, Blue Dial

– Submariner Date 126619LB: White Gold, Blue Cerachrom Bezel, Black Dial

View attachment 35132
View attachment 35133
View attachment 35134

The slimmer lug is good, otherwise meh
Is it just me or do they look a little weird with the flatter face and lugs? Sort of audemars-y.

Well, the value of my greeny as shot up again...

Love them, or loathe them, this is what Rolex do so well, minor tweaks nothing too radical...

Is it just me or do they look a little weird with the flatter face and lugs? Sort of audemars-y.

Depends on the angle I think. Slim lugs are fine and really not a big deal. Never gonna buy one. If I were to buy a Rolex it would be a Sea Dweller.

Let the kopping and flipping begin at above retail

Depends on the angle I think. Slim lugs are fine and really not a big deal. Never gonna buy one. If I were to buy a Rolex it would be a Sea Dweller.

Let the kopping and flipping begin at above retail

You have to factor in a certain percentage of the Rolex and the Royal Oak type market is buying an asset that can be readily transported across borders and then liquidated into cash. Don't want to be perceived as being in that demographic. When it comes to Rolex, it's got to be the Explorer, the latest Air King, or the Milgauss.

Meanwhile, I've been offered €750 for my CWC G10 Tritium hand wound. Not bad for a two hundred quid watch in the early 2010's.

I've enjoyed that watch and had it with me in South Africa last year, but the limitations of plexiglass are killer long term. You can polish it all you want, you'll still get scratches and then when sunlight catches it on a certain angle it just looks fuzzy, unclear with several rings of light that make it look cheap.

So I'll put that towards my 40mm Longines Conquest slush fund.

You have to factor in a certain percentage of the Rolex and the Royal Oak type market is buying an asset that can be readily transported across borders and then liquidated into cash. Don't want to be perceived as being in that demographic. When it comes to Rolex, it's got to be the Explorer, the latest Air King, or the Milgauss.

Meanwhile, I've been offered €750 for my CWC G10 Tritium hand wound. Not bad for a two hundred quid watch in the early 2010's.

I've enjoyed that watch and had it with me in South Africa last year, but the limitations of plexiglass are killer long term. You can polish it all you want, you'll still get scratches and then when sunlight catches it on a certain angle it just looks fuzzy, unclear with several rings of light that make it look cheap.

So I'll put that towards my 40mm Longines Conquest slush fund.
You should get copyright on the ‘canny buy...cannot be bought’ slogan then pitch it to Longines. Would be a nice little earner. Need to act fast before the likes of TGV steal the idea.

I could see a profitable and long running ad campaign. Leave it to the company to develop. Gravitas with high status. Paradoxically, it might even appeal to chancers who definitely can be bought - but that only adds to potential sales.

You should get copyright on the ‘canny buy...cannot be bought’ slogan then pitch it to Longines. Would be a nice little earner. Need to act fast before the likes of TGV steal the idea.

I could see a profitable and long running ad campaign. Leave it to the company to develop. Gravitas with high status. Paradoxically, it might even appeal to chancers who definitely can be bought - but that only adds to potential sales.

Best to keep it for the horologically sussed.

Rolex Sub and Daytona market bubble:

My neighbor across the street just got one of these:
3E303AD0-F877-4FFA-AB9E-BA75152A0774.jpeg

He doesn’t strike me as someone into watches, so I was rather surprised. I couldn’t catch everything he said, so it may have been a gift.

My neighbor across the street just got one of these:
View attachment 35188

He doesn’t strike me as someone into watches, so I was rather surprised. I couldn’t catch everything he said, so it may have been a gift.

Doxa used to make anti-magnetic watches. I was keen on buying one early last year from a dealer in York (UK) but he was asking a stupid price and wouldn't come down. It was still in the window this January when I went past LOL.

My watch slush fund is about to reach critical Longines mass. Still considering the 40mm Conquest Heritage, but this Military 1938 Heritage tempts me:
Longines-Heritage-Military-1938.jpg

At 43mm it pushes the size envelope, but it looks very neat in the flesh and rectifies the diminutive second hand on the 1945:

unnamed.jpg

Of course there's always this:
Longines-Heritage-Military-1-600x391@2x.jpg

But you can get the same vibe with the 36mm Smiths/Timefactors version:
prs29as-4.jpg

And for the price of the Limited Edition 1938 Military Heritage, you can get the above and the two versions of the Conquest Heritage at 35mm with plexiglass in keeping with the traditional dress watch size.

Attachments

• prs29as-4.jpg
    prs29as-4.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 97

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom