All About Watches

I agree with you, without a date it would be perfect.

The Longines is also nice: I was considering the purchase.
I've got the Longines and it's well worth considering, even at 43mm, it doesn't wear too big.
A great restoration job (absolutely amazing) on a very much run-down 1940s Jaeger-LeCoultre. The case was really bashed-up with many scratches, some also deep, and the nickel coating was down in most of the surface. Quite surprising to me that the case is in a brass alloy with nickel-plating, but it could be that steel was in short supply those days. The steel case back was in a far better state instead, as well as the movement that seems very good preserved. The plexiglass was scratched and cracked, the dial not bad, the hands corroded and with radioactive lume.

Of course it's debatable, and it's very much debated in fact, whether it's opportune to restore a vintage watch. Without going deeply on the question, I think that in a case like this, that was the best one could do, being the alternative to have an unwatchable piece. If something, I find the new lume on the hands not properly matching, though it's an awesome result.

There's a company in L.A. who do great restorations, removing the radioactive lumes too, but I can't remember the name. A very good website.
I have ordered a Tissot Gentleman Powermatic 80 Silicium, as the Aqua Terra is out of my budget. I went for leather straps, as the bracelet had received negative feedback, and for the blue dial. I could have saved a bit on the white or black dial.

View attachment 37391
You're better off getting straps with those watches, the steel bracelets is where they're going to make cost cuts, like with Seiko's cheaper divers.
I am considering the Oris Artelier, or a Longines Flagship. Any opinions? I could go for the Longines Conquest...
I prefer the Conquest out of all of them and remains extremely good value in 35mm. But I would get the larger size as the you've got plexi-glass on the 35mm's, whilst great anti-reflection, you'll always be polishing out the scratches,

I prefer the Conquest out of all of them and remains extremely good value in 35mm. But I would get the larger size as the you've got plexi-glass on the 35mm's, whilst great anti-reflection, you'll always be polishing out the scratches,
To me a 35mm looks really small these days. Not being a fan of "pan" watches, but a modern item should be at least 37mm. Moreover it's surprising how well some "big" watches can wear. I have for example the Eterna Vaughan Big Date that measure 42mm, but doesn't look over-dimensioned, even on a relatively thin wrist. I think that 39/40mm may be an ideal measure for almost any wrist.

I am considering the Oris Artelier, or a Longines Flagship. Any opinions? I could go for the Longines Conquest...
How about not buying the umpteenth bland mall watch, selling all the ones you already have and buying something nice instead?

How about not buying the umpteenth bland mall watch, selling all the ones you already have and buying something nice instead?
Bland mall watch is somehow too negative, speaking of at least mechanical watches from reputed brands. Moreover some people prefer to have more mid-range items than one or two high-range. Each one nurtures his horological passion his way.

I've got the Longines and it's well worth considering, even at 43mm, it doesn't wear too big.
A beautiful watch indeed, the Longines Heritage 1935. Also here the date window looks very inappropriate.

_img (1).jpg

Inspired to this:
_img.jpg

Some men have just one piece, no matter cheap or expensive, others love to build a collection. Of course wealthy people can afford more expensive watches, but you can be happy also with mid-range ones. Some collectors are more interested in vintage, others wear only new time-keepers. Furthermore there are guys who continuously buy and sell their pieces and others who never or hardly separate from their jewels. Some are looking for the "final" watch, the coronation of a collection, others like to have several pieces to alternate and to match with different outfits and show in different occasions. I think that every strategy is respectable, as long as it makes one happy.

Some men has just one piece, no matter cheap or expensive, others love to build a collection. Of course wealthy people can afford more expensive watches, but you can be happy also with mid-range ones. Some collectors are more interested in vintage, others wear only new time-keepers. Furthermore there are guys who continuously buy and sell their pieces and others who never or hardly separate from their jewels. Some are looking for the "final" watch, the coronation of a collection, others like to have several pieces to alternate and to match with different outfits and show in different occasions. I think that every strategy is respectable, as long as it makes one happy.
I enjoy choice, also in a rotation items last longer.I also wouldn't want to wear a dive watch to a funeral.

Is there that much difference in the production process? They are both Swatch companies. One just doesn't pay £20 million product placement to appear in a Bond movie.
Yet it seems you had rather bought the real one, hadn't you spent all your budget on canny buys.

not everyone can afford a nice watch nor do they need one to do their daily business, and frankly, i'll take 1000 tissots and oris' over more fucking apple watches.

In Italy a popular and appreciated brand Eberhard is almost unknown elsewhere. I have this Extra-Fort Grande Date with a peculiar cream-rose dial:

1cbb22d8-fb58-11e6-8e8a-80d94ef1ad60.jpg

not everyone can afford a nice watch nor do they need one to do their daily business, and frankly, i'll take 1000 tissots and oris' over more fucking apple watches.
If you can afford multiple Tissots/canny buys this doesn't seem to be a question of money.

By the way, did you have your defective watch replaced?
waiting on it to be shipped. hopefully the new one will work
If you can afford multiple Tissots/canny buys this doesn't seem to be a question of money.
maybe, maybe not. maybe the idea of having three or four $400 watches is more appealing than having one $1200 watch. some people like variety.

i know we like to be aspirational on this forum, and god knows we need it sometimes, but not everyone has the means to be able to do so. i'd like a fucking rolex. i dont have $10k sitting around to be able to buy one.

Inexpensive Casio now approved by Hodinkee. Wonderful typeface used apparently.

The reviewers kid says luxury watches are juvenile.

At least you don’t have to worry about getting mugged for it.

No date either - which should delight the watch nerds.

I have an Eterna, which could be or definitely was a competitor to Zenith and Omega. I would happily get a Zenith if priced right. Do I want to join the drug dealers with their Omega's and Rolex's?
Not really. I would prefer an AP, JLC, Breguet, Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, or Girard-Perregaux. But then I would have to give up the high class hookers and drugs. Okay, Deliveroo and vacations in Croatia.

Inexpensive Casio now approved by Hodinkee. Wonderful typeface used apparently.

The reviewers kid says luxury watches are juvenile.

At least you don’t have to worry about getting mugged for it.

No date either - which should delight the watch nerds.
That's frankly too low, it's Swatch level, to me they are no watches. But with €350 you take this gorgeous Tissot, if the quartz movement isn't a problem for you.

Tissot-PRX-Quartz-2.jpg

That's frankly too low, it's Swatch level, to me they are no watches. But with €350 you take this gorgeous Tissot, if the quartz movement isn't a problem for you.
Yet I will bet the Casio is more accurate than many of the mechanical watches enthusiasts seek out.

So they say. There were only mechical watches when I was young. After I got a Seiko Quartz I never looked back.
Anyway, also about quartz movements there are different qualities. Grand Seiko with their Spring Drive movements have matched the beauty and complication of a mechanical with the precision and reliability of a quartz one.

I ordered it lol. It was free.

20210502_223436.jpg

The only thing I can find on Amazon that I like is dog food. And I am fed up with eating kibble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom